What's everyone eating for their main meal during this warm spell? I've gone off salads and find them insipid. So far this week I've had salmon en croute, a very hot curry and steak and kidney pie. All washed down with a dry cider. Tonight I fancy a trip to Southwell to get fish and chips but my wife's not too keen. Should I light the barbecue and eat burgers outdoors? But why faff about with getting a barbecue up to heat and sitting outside batting off the flies when we've got perfectly good indoor cooking equipment indoors and can knock up a meal in ten minutes?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's everyone eating for their main meal during this warm spell? I've gone off salads and find them insipid. So far this week I've had salmon en croute, a very hot curry and steak and kidney pie. Al

I’m no connoisseur but all Stilton cheeses taste the same to me.    

This is hot weather treat for your dog but only if they like peanut butter, put in a tray freeze it cut into pieces give them to your "babies" helps cool them down. Apologies if you knew already but i

Posted Images

Jacket spuds with cheese and beans Sunday. Spicy chicken stir fry with noodles on Monday. Tuesday can't remember! Fish & Chips last night. 

• Like 1

I’m pleased I’m not the only one eating ‘proper’ food. Since I decided this year that I would give up my greenhouse and vegetable gardening I’ve missed eating home grown vegetables. I think once I’ve got my hip sorted out I’m going to start my horticulture once more

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Our TV says eat fresh, no heavy meals , drink plenty of water and don't go out between the hours of 11- 4. How can you not ? We are having lots of prosciuto and melone which I've just had followed by 3 different cheeses with a drizzle of honey . ( try it) then peaches or apricots and later an icecream. Tonight Cold french beans with cold boiled potatoes, tuna and maybe a tomato salad with sliced red onions. I agree that salads can be boring but add some stirfry chicken strips with an orange and olive oil dressing.

I can't eat red meat in summer so make the most of fish and poultry. There are lots of things that you can put into a sweet and sour marinade that you can keep in the fridge for a long while and they are delicious with a bit of crusty bread. But it all depends on your taste buds or your inclination towards what has been referred to as "foreign muck"  I could think of worse things but don't knock it til you've tried it. 

I didn't like cheese and stayed away from it for years. Then my neice in France died in a road accident and I went to stay with her family. The french do eat a lot of cheese and I was too polite to refuse seeing of their loss so I hesitantly tried it. Came back home and the first thing I went to do was to buy a load of cheese. So if you don't like the look or the sound of the food try it it might change your opinion of what the " foreigners" eat. smile2

• Like 1

Get it done quickly Phil. Alex has to have his other hip done and his knee. But hes stubborn and is waiting for me to have my op then he'll go ahead with the neccessary routine. 

Ha, just remembered. Cheese on toast Tuesday, with sliced tomatoes, and tonight, beef Madras, followed by dollops of salted caramel ice cream !

• Like 1

I could eat salted caramel ice cream all day. I must get my daughter to make me a jar of salted caramel so it's ready with a dollop of ice cream.

• Upvote 1

Nonna, Lidls do three, yes THREE different types of salted caramel / caramel toffee ice cream. I've currently got at least two in the freezer.

I have to get the large containers though, as the largest tubs aren't nearly enough for one go !  smile2

• Like 1

Only go to Lidls occasionally but I can see I shall have to go more frequently. Providing of course they sell the same things here. One year they advertised they were selling mince pies at Christmas and although I usually make my own I like ready made ones too. When I got there not a sign of them and when I asked the assistant about them she said it depends which Lidl they send them to.:(

4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Nonna, Lidls do three, yes THREE different types of salted caramel / caramel toffee ice cream. I've currently got at least two in the freezer.

I have to get the large containers though, as the largest tubs aren't nearly enough for one go !  smile2

Wonder where I've heard that phrase before.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Fly , I have just received an email from Lidl ( the first one ever) its British week smile2

Fish n chips, crisps, ice cream ( doesn't say if it's salted caramel ) Stilton and other products long forgotten. Hope they have got malt vinegar as we can't get it here. Must go tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

You go to Harrods every day then Phil ? It must cost you something in petrol . Is that why you're contemplating an electric car.:laughing:  

Anyway we don't have posh neighbours.

Only joking. Actually I rather like Lidl. Limited choice so not as large and confusing as other supermarkets. Good value and it’s always interesting to go down the central junk isle to find new and interesting useless items. Sadly I do have to go south of the Trent to get to Bingham. I see lots of ‘posh’ people in there much to their chagrin in being spotted. It must make them feel better to know that I shop there as well. :biggrin:

• Like 1

They always seem to sell things that you don't normally see here. I went today with my daughter as she had the email too. We came back with 8 packs of cheddar, 8 packs of Stilton ( long clawson ) odd packets of crisps ( not very nice) shortbread rounds and fingers. Cashier said "you're greedy", felt like saying " mind your own business" but she did ask if it was good. I told her to try it and see. My daughter has just sent me a pic of an empty cheddar package. She took one into work and all the staff have had a taste and then her business partner ( ex husband) arrived and finished the lot. He remembers cheddar from Nottingham 

All the same to me too....... Wonderful, gorgeous and scrumptious !

• Like 1

There are now only six dairies that make blue Stilton. To my taste the best tasting and the creamiest is Colston Basset closely followed by nearby Cropwell Butler.  I think the flavour comes from the local fungal spores. If you do a taste comparison between Colston Basset and Long Clawson you will detect a distinct difference with the Clawson being less creamy and much harsher in taste. I've made a lifelong study of Stilton and regard myself as a leading expert. In my own opinion of course!

• Like 1

I'm an expert in the cracker biscuits that Stilton sits on. Jacobs, Carr's, Matzos etc.  :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Sadly Long Clawson is the worse tasting Stilton - being very bitter. Colston Basset is the best. In my humble opinion of course!:)

Don't tell me that Phil, will try it and if I find its bitter I shall have to maybe cook it in a sauce to cover veg.