Hot weather doesn't usually affect my eating habit.  I'm a glutton all year round...  ;)

However.. today for lunch I'm having a 'salad' comprising a couple of tomatoes, some cucumber, no lettuce.. (it makes me gurgle for days) a couple of hard boiled eggs, a bit of cottage cheese and a few slices of Chorizo. No dressing needed. Also no bread.  I'm slimming...  I would add olives and beetroot.. but Mrs Col ignored my text yesterday asking her to pick some up while she was shopping.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's everyone eating for their main meal during this warm spell? I've gone off salads and find them insipid. So far this week I've had salmon en croute, a very hot curry and steak and kidney pie. Al

I’m no connoisseur but all Stilton cheeses taste the same to me.    

This is hot weather treat for your dog but only if they like peanut butter, put in a tray freeze it cut into pieces give them to your "babies" helps cool them down. Apologies if you knew already but i

Posted Images

Ah yes.. Coryza.. A.K.A. The Common Cold.

Me I've fallen out with cooking food . It's far too hot and I'm quickly running out of ideas for something tasty and quick.

Gem I've not forgotten. I used my iPad to find the recipe and did a screen shot, the photos are on my phone and the old iPad too but not yet on laptop. It takes a while to appear and it's easier to post from there as it's quicker than phone or iPad. 

Hope these are useful, if they are too big please feel free to delete them after Gem has made a note of them. Thanks

Thanks for  posting them Nonna.  Main reason I asked you not to bother was because I thought you had to retype them all...Its nice to have access to them complete with a Beagle that looks almost like my old Jake. :)

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Ah yes.. Coryza.. A.K.A. The Common Cold.

Ah yes! coryza.

Reminded me of my late mother in law (bless her heart).  She was a bit like Mrs Bucket.  I don't think she ever had a COMMON cold.  It was always Coryza.  :biggrin:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Hope these are useful, if they are too big please feel free to delete them after Gem has made a note of them. Thanks

Thank you Nonna all copied and a list of ingredients made, Mum says she hopes they turn out better than my usual offerings.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gem said:

, Mum says she hopes they turn out better than my usual offerings.

Aw that's not nice. Meant to add that if there's an ingredient that you don't have, adjust it to something you do have. We use spelt a lot but I have never seen it in U.K. 

Let us know how they turn out. I made tiny ones for treats , the dough made hundreds of them.:mellow:

• Like 1

Unfortunately Nonna it's true I am a terrible general cook, I can make lovely pastry but it stops there. I will use oat flour instead of spelt and large biscuits or they will be swallowed whole.

Gem you can't be that bad. My mother was never a cook , everything had to be banged into the oven but we all survived. Instead my MIL was a brilliant cook. When she first came to stay with us I was petrified of having to cook for her . Fortunately ( for me anyway) I cut my finger rather badly chopping onions and it was difficult for me to do anything so she took over.:rolleyes:

I did learn a lot from her and she gave me a recipe that only her daughters had for the cannoli shells . She made me promise I wouldn't give it to anyone. I never told my SIL's but one day I made them and let them taste. It was all wrong. When I was making the dough it wouldn't come together it was too dry. The dough has to be really hard and mine just wasn't going to cooperate. It needed something to bring it together and the only thing I could think of was an egg. All made they tried them and commented. Apparently my MIL although the recipe was correct forgot to let me know the qty of the red wine. I made them again and they were perfect, bought the ricotta and we made pigs of outselves, but they are nice.