Doing daft things

Anyone ever do owt daft? 

Back in 1970 I had a friend who lived on RAF Sculthorpe. He had an old Mars Bar Viva that was making a bit of a racket from the back end somewhere. I went into the boot and hung over the back listening for the noise whilst he drove up and down the runway!  Took a few runs but eventually we located the fault. :crazy:

4 minutes ago, Compo said:

Anyone ever do owt daft? 

Me and John Hackett shooting rabbits on his dads farm on Bagnall road - when it was all fields. What made it daft? He had found his dads 303 in the attic. Daft and dangerous; the noise fetched all the farmhands in short order - we'd frightened a cow, fired over a public footpath, and I'd tripped over the gun and gave myself a black eye on the bolt. Never known such trouble before or since.

My dad said he'd never heard anything so daft - with a 303 there'd be nothing left of the rabbit to eat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Couldn't swim,,aged 15 jumped off top board at Bulwell lido to impress the girls,,nearly drowned,,came to on the grass,,surrounded by all the girls comforting me,,(Brenda and Irene had pulled me out) almost did it again,, lol,

• Like 1

That'll teach you Ben. On the other hand, were you successful in impressing them ?

• Like 1

Made em all laugh fly,,and that was always a good way of getting them to like you,,  never went back to Bulwell or any other lido,,

• Upvote 1

How did they pull you out Ben ? By the....... hand !  :flyswat:

• Like 1

Don't know,, could have been anything,, perhaps that's why they were laughing,,

• Upvote 1

I tried to force open a pit bulls mouth when it had attacked and turned our small dog upside down. I didn't notice at first but in doing a stupid thing like that , the dog ended up at the vet and me at the hospital where I had 7 stitches on the back of my hand. I just went in without thinking.

• Like 1

Swimming,,, just couldn't take to it,,nearly drowned a few times,,

Wickstead park,,when i was about 8,,

Bulwell bogs in me pushchair,,

Boston,,in a car,,1967,,

bulwell lido,,as mentioned,,

Finally learnt at Carlton forum,,when i was 30,, still not my favourite pastime,,

When I were about 12/13, me and me mates used to go swimming in the Trent near Wilford bridge. We were that fanatics we used to shelter our clothes under the railway bridge, out of the way of the snow ! Used to go in embankment side and end up 2 or 3 hundred yards down on the other side the current was so fast. We must have been bloody Barmy, looking back.

I’ve not done that many daft things in my life but one event that has had to stay with me for the past 55 years was wanting 2 more lengths of Arnold Baths when Len, the little chap with the built-up boot blew his whistle to tell me to get out at the end of my hour’s session.   I dived into the 3ft deep shallow end and broke a front tooth on the bottom of the pool.  Over the years I’ve had several crowns on that tooth, the first one being a gold crown which as a 14 year old girl I found very embarrassing as it glinted in the sunlight.   My dentist wouldn’t give me a porcelain crown while ‘I was still at school and playing hockey’   

• Upvote 1

Not quite as daft as swimming in the Trent but when we were kids of about eleven our parents didn't seem to be worried about us hiring a boat at Trent Bridge and rowing up as far as Wilford power station. We never had any problem in borrowing a boat. 

• Upvote 1

Another ludicrously daft thing I did when I were about 11, we still lived on Denton street then and used to play in the old graveyard at the bottom of our street on Grant street. I climbed on top of the stone wall intending to jump off. I remembered somebody telling me when jumping, remember to bend your knees to let your legs absorb the shock which I did and promptly put my teeth straight through my tongue !!! Resulting in a trip to Children's hospital and 7 stitches in my tongue, without anaesthetic.

Seven stitches in my left knee, after an unfortunate encounter with the metal support plates after larking  around the base of the Major Oak.

Easter Monday about 1950, and mum had to carry me to a local doctors house in Edwinstowe. 

He bound it tightly, then stitches at the Children's Hospital the following day.

Oh, my knee ! Yeah !

My mate Pat and I were walking along Bridlesmith Gate late one night and saw 2 dishy young men get out of a parked car. They walked towards us and asked where a certain nightclub was. We told them where, then when they'd gone, being daft, we left a note on their car. I put my phone number on the note, never thinking they'd call it. They did, at 3 a.m. getting my dad out of bed and going downstairs to answer it. He told them I was asleep in bed, but boy, did I get a verbal ear-bashing the next morning! Didn't do that again.

• Like 1

Daft things... hmmm where do I start.. One incident at Clifton Grove involved some daft bugger letting me have a go in his canoe. Back then they were canvas over a wooden frame which didn't do well when I came back to the bank and ran it onto a semi submerged  barbed wire post. I scrambled out OK and managed to drag the canoe out but the paddle and wooden seat were now making an escape bid for the coast. I charged along the bank took a running dive and managed to grab them, all good except during the dive I caught an anglers keep net  and it was tangled round my foot, my wet clothes were dragging me down and had the seat and paddle not kept me afloat yours truly would not be here today..

• Upvote 1

When I was about 8 or 9........ the brakes on my bike were screeching. Every time I stopped or slowed, I got a high-pitched squealing noise from the brakes on the wheel rim.

To solve the problem, I put oil on the wheel rims. It was a while before I was able to stop safely again.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I've related the story of making homemade bombs elsewhere, but cannot remember where. 

Anyway, we filled the metal tube of a bicycle pump with saltpetre, sugar,  sulphur, iron filings, inners of bangers, topped off with some pea gravel.

We had a firework fuse sticking out of the hole and secured it to a truck constructed from Meccano. We lit it in the entrance to Robert Shaw School Playing Fields. We lit it a stood around nonchalantly, and suddenly the tube shot backwards and took a chunk out of the kerbstone under my mates foot. Meanwhile, there was a twenty foot high smoke mushroom drifting across the field.

Stronger tube required lads, so we used the steel tube that fits under a bike saddle. Same mixture, bigger stones. Bang, it resulted in the tube being turned inside out like a banana skin.

Mmmm time to quit lads !