Doing daft things

I had one of the first skateboards .....a book fixed onto one of the old type metal skates, great going straight down a bank try to turn a corner and you didn't sit down for a while. Not comfortably anyway.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

We made one with only two ingredients, Plantfit could probably guess what they were. The bang and the forty gallons of used engine oil that launched 20 feet in the air persuaded us that doing it again was a seriously bad idea.

Talk about doing daft things, went into our local charity shop and saw they had a fan for sale, and this was Thursday the hottest day ever recorded, took home the fan with a big smile on my face, arrived home and plugged in, WOW!!! a blast of hot air hit me!!!! it was not a fan but a heater. Well say no more, please!! took it back to the shop, sorry can not give you your money back but you can have a credit note, gracefully i took the credit not and crept out of the shop, no wait don't go away there's more. When i went to look for my credit note U'mmmmm I could not find it, i must some how lost it, well all i can say it's an age thing,

Just asking but is Mapperly Hospital still open and taking in-mates?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Drove past it yesterday Mary. Sadly, no. 

4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Come to the next meet up Mary, I can commiserate and maybe give you a quick rub down with a damp copy of the Radio Times..  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

According to Wiki......After the introduction of Care in the Community in the early 1980s, the hospital went into a period of decline and closed in December 1994. The north end of the main building has been renamed "Duncan Macmillan House" and is now used as the headquarters of the Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust while the south end of the main building has been renamed "Nightingale House" and has been converted into apartments. 

Hi Mary, I see from your profile that you reside in Jacksdale. Is the reservoir still there? Me and my pal John Furnace used to swim in there when we visited his relatives, who lived in Jacksdale. That must have been about 64 years ago. Whoda' thunk it !

3 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

main building has been renamed "Nightingale House" and has been converted into apartments.

I worked (with some colleagues) on the new sub station that was to serve the new flats. The developer , an Iranian guy was by all account a bit of ..err, not a nice guy.

Not sure what happened but there was some sort of  bust up and he flew into a rage then fired every man on site. When he told me I was sacked it was open season for a wind up. Won't go into details as it was quite long but at one point I thought he would have a heart attack, he even called his security to evict us. Quite enjoyed telling him to get stuffed I don't work for you or any of the contractors.

Back chatting Mam by saying "oh yeah; & what are you going to do about it?" SMACK! BIFF! WALLOP! That's what she did about it.... On basic training at Woolwich barracks the sergeant asked if we were OK? I said I was cold & spent the next hour running round the parade ground with an SLR rifle held above my head wishing I'd kept my big gob shut...

On 7/30/2019 at 12:07 PM, Beekay said:

Hi Mary, I see from your profile that you reside in Jacksdale. Is the reservoir still there? Me and my pal John Furnace used to swim in there when we visited his relatives, who lived in Jacksdale. That must have been about 64 years ago. Whoda' thunk it !

Hi Beekay yes the reservoir is still there. I am not a Jacksdale person though (sorry) but i came from where house's were not fit to live in, only been in Jacksdale about  8 years, before that lived in Eastwood, before that Anderby (not creek but village) before that Hucknall, before that South Africa Vanerbijle Park near Jo-berg, before that Daybrook/Arnold that took you back to the start, sorry to go on but i class myself a Nottingham person.

• Upvote 1
On 7/30/2019 at 11:54 AM, Brew said:

Come to the next meet up Mary, I can commiserate and maybe give you a quick rub down with a damp copy of the Radio Times..  :rolleyes:

Well Brew what an invite I'm getting goose bumps already.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is not me, but someone we were with that did something daft. A group of us were on a cruise together a couple of years ago. One of the stops was Rotterdam and we went into Amsterdam for a day of walking around. We saw a toilet sign and most went in, while the rest hung about outside. Bob in our group comes out the toilets with something in his hands. Holds them out and invites us to help ourselves to the candy, said there was a dish on the counter to help yourself.  I looked into his hands before anyone else, and said,  Bob, they are tampons! They were very small, obviously compressed, and shrink wrapped in celophane. We will never know if it was a unisex toilet or he actually went in the ladies! We still laugh about it.

• Like 4
On 7/30/2019 at 12:07 PM, Beekay said:

Hi Mary, I see from your profile that you reside in Jacksdale

I once married a lass from Selston - if that isn't daft, I don't know what is! :)

• Like 1