Words you dislike ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had to relent a little in my dislike of a certain word, which has crept in to being. Not the actual word, but the way it is often used these days. Mainly when being served in restaurants.

I give up.

Far too many brain-grinding words in common use English now that I have to make a real effort not to despair.   English is effectively a foreign language to me now and I have to think before

Adding the word 'Like' at lots of points in a conversation and the current trend for 'upspeaking'.    Even our new PM was doing that the other day so I dislike that even more now!

• Like 1

Despise is a bit of a stretch but spelling onamatopoeia puts me in a tizz. When asked to explain or spell it I usually babble or mumble and say the first thing that pops in my head.

Which words make you go argh?

2 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Adding the word 'Like' at lots of points in a conversation and the current trend for 'upspeaking'.    Even our new PM was doing that the other day so I dislike that even more now!

Haha lol. 

I hate the word ‘slash’. A boy a few months back asked to leave my lesson with ‘Miss I need a slash’

Quite right Margie, adding like is annoying innit but I don't do it do I, know what I mean...   smile2

Wow,,,Amazing,,,Absolutely,,,................especially as a one word reply.............;)

Check how many times Bradley Walsh uses them on the Chase !!!

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Wow,,,Amazing,,,Absolutely,,,................especially as a one word reply.............;)

Check how many times Bradley Walsh uses them on the Chase !!!

Mega and awesome too. Another is philosophy

Far too many brain-grinding words in common use English now that I have to make a real effort not to despair.

English is effectively a foreign language to me now and I have to think before I read or write. This makes me more aware of the way the language is used and of the words that are in use and in excessive use.

Apart from the current vogue words such as so, like, cool, sick - and numerous others, one word which particularly twangs a raw nerve is 'got' as in 'have you got' and numerous variants and derivatives. Using the phrase 'do you have' is much more expressive and neater . I do a little English teaching for the locals and certainly 'have you got' is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to express into french with any sensibility.

I read the other day that on of the new members of the UK government, Jacob Rees Mogg, has produced his own list of banned words and phrases which must not be used in his parliamentary communications. I don't want to seem like a dinosaur (akin to Rees Mogg) but he does have a point.

This from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49137619

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes it is difficult to explain "got" in another language and really it's not necessary.

One of my granddaughters had an interview for a job this afternoon. She said she 'aced' it !  Aced for crikeys sake.

• Like 1

I hate it when people follow every sentence they speak with 'YES'. It's as though they're vainly trying to convince you and themselves that they know what they're talking about.

FLY2's point about ending sentences with YES - and especially an interrogative YES? is becoming common in France where the youth have the irritating habit of finishing every utterance with OUI? I don't know whether this is widespread throughout France but it's very common down here on the Côte d'Azur and the surrounds. Possibly an import from English tourists. 

Slightly different is the use of french words by the English in general conversation. It's been common for  long time for tourists to slip in an occasional french word into their jabberings - often totally inappropriately but I'm finding this year's favourite to be particularly cringeworthy. The culprit is d'accord - frequently wildly mispronounced such that it comes across as daca, dacar or lots of other variations and used in completely the wrong context - seemingly scattered at random anywhere in whatever is being said.

Edit: In case you don't know but want to know, d'accord is used in exactly the same way as okay or I agree or as an interrogative okay? (do you agree?)

I detest hearing people say 'Proper', instead of properly. 'I did it proper' is just plain ridiculous.

The mis-use of the expression "I would've ......"

Such as "I would've told her about it" or "I would have seen it if I had been watching".

I increasingly see it written - especially in forums - as "I would of done this" or 'I would of gone there".   

• Upvote 2

Another one that gets up my nose, is folk who end a sentence with "just saying". There was a chap I once worked with who did it constantly. It's as though they're on the defensive all the time, and are hesitant about saying their bit.

• Like 1

This 'acing' or 'ace' has reached the BBC website with the expression 'Can you ace this quickfire sports quiz?'

Seems that 'ace' has multiple meanings 

Nothing surprises me these days. We'll be back to just grunts and ug the way we're going.

Learning to drive at the City and District driving school on Woodborough rd. I had an instructor who's favorite line after most instructions was "Know what I mean?"

That was back in 1961 so its been around for a while.  He was a good instructor, but I guess it was just a habit with him.

• Upvote 1