• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bus stop in your picture is a trolley bus stop, (39) the motor bus stop was lower down to the right, about 30 yards, (56/60). The shop to the left of the bloke was a barbers shop, I believe. Numbe

Considering I moved from Radford when I got married in 1965 and after 18 months on Burford rd., I moved to Upton drive, off Valley road and didn't get to Radford very often except to visit parents on

Here's another one stirred up from your photo CT. I vividly remember riding up that street on my butchers bike with two big bowls of beef dripping for my butcher boss's brother, who had a chip shop on

A lot of good stuff in there. I'm  fascinated by photos of old shops; the kind of scene you don't see any longer. As an example; this is half way down Ilkeston Road.

K5X3RbN.jpg

Adverts for Hovis.....the old style bus stop (above the man).....advert on the chemist door for 'Ex Lax'..... Players Please.....Corona.....Brooke Bond......

Ben territory.

• Like 2

The bus stop in your picture is a trolley bus stop, (39) the motor bus stop was lower down to the right, about 30 yards, (56/60). The shop to the left of the bloke was a barbers shop, I believe. Number 107, just off the picture right I'm sure was an electric lights shop called ' Tricservices'. This belonged to Sandy Foster, an electrician who used be involved with the YMCA on Grant street.. I'm pretty sure of this as I used to work opposite as a butchers lad at Tom Straw's butchers shop. I worked there for about four years, because I was under 13 when I started, I was told " if anybody asks, your just running an errand". I ran that errand from 11 to 15 years old !  ( That is unless my mind is playing tricks !).

• Like 6

DaveN., just had a real nostalgic browse through your Radford link. Absolutely brilliant !!! Some of those pictures had me back in the fifties. Seeing the public washhouse on Thackeray street, I can remember sitting in side room waiting for me mam while she did the family wash. The place was only round the corner at the top of our street. Not going to rabbit on though, just to say thanks. Where on Earth do you get these lists from ?

• Like 1

Another of the photos shows the best view I've seen of the house on Garden Street which was occupied by my two elderly aunts. The arrow points to their back door and back windows. We visited a number of times in the early 1960s, and standing in the back yard I remember always being spooked by a massive chimney nearby; this shows just how near it actually was.   (Jill S...the house you remember is just out of view on the right).

94ujdyS.jpg

The road in the foreground is Norton Street, and some of the buildings have survived.

• Like 1

I remember those cottages, on the right, walking down Garden Street to number 4. They stood back off the road with small gardens at the front as opposed to the terraced houses on the opposite side which had no frontage. I always thought the houses where your relatives lived, CT, were much older than the terraced housing across the street.  Any idea when the photo was taken?

I recall vividly, on several occasions, seeing elderly ladies with a washing tub in the front garden of those cottages and pegging clothes onto a washing line. 

Another addition to your picture CT., On Norton street at the bottom of the photo, the first row of houses on the left side (after the empty space)  is where my gran used to live. This was Henry street, a little dead end street. She lived at number 5. As a nipper I used to walk down Denman St. past Ronald St., Bloomsgrove St. and Garden St. then turned left at the corner post office onto Norton St. This continued over Denman St. downtown Hartley road , (past the Sir Garnet Wolsley). The other way down to Ilkeston road. The numbers on Henry St. only went from 1 -- 11. Can't remember what the factory opposite was.

Do you have one of your multitude of old maps, of that area ? B.

• Like 2

Considering I moved from Radford when I got married in 1965 and after 18 months on Burford rd., I moved to Upton drive, off Valley road and didn't get to Radford very often except to visit parents on Kennington rd. What I'm trying to get at, is that these photos or some of em have reawakened long lost memories of times gone. I hadn't realised I'd still got memories. I know this is what NS is all about but it still amazes me and stirs long lost emotions. So I just want to say an open THANK YOU to all who keep me going. Barrie, ( Beekay).

• Like 5

Jill, the NEP got the photo from PictureNottingham (formerly Picture the Past) and they say it's 1920s.

The only photo I've ever seen actually on Garden Street is this, which you may have seen before. It's looking towards Denman Street and I think the "small front gardens" you mentioned would be in the space which is just visible before the tall building on the left.

M2iuKgJ.jpg

Yes, CT. There was a shop just about opposite Garden Street which sold China and crockery. My mother loved to rummage in there. I was pushed in my pram, then walked down that street every Thursday and Christmas eve up to the age of 4, when I started school. Thereafter, every Thursday and Christmas eve during school holidays until the spring of 1965 when my relatives had to leave the place which was due for redevelopment. Never forgotten it and never will.

My late cousin, Brian Burton, used to live at 40 Norton St. Radford when he married in the 50's. He worked for his coal merchant father. Subsequently he bought Harby's Fuels and had an office on Highbury Vale. He sold that to become landlord of the Red Lion at Stow on the Wold.

Here's another one stirred up from your photo CT. I vividly remember riding up that street on my butchers bike with two big bowls of beef dripping for my butcher boss's brother, who had a chip shop on Ainsley estate. I got half way up Garden St. and was met with a group boys I used to be at school with, one was Joey Nelson. They took great delight in letting down my front tyre. It were a bugger to try and steer with all that weight in the front basket ! Still had to go all the way down Denman St. St. Peter's St. and over by Radford pit to get to my destination. The chippie lent me a pump to blow up me tyre so I could get back in comfort. Summat else from the back shelf of my memory.

• Like 4

2-NTGM019491.jpg

Not sure about this but my mother often pointed out what looked like the house in this photo as we travelled past it on the bus when I was a child. She said her aunt and uncle had lived there when she was a child. They were Lily Saunt, my great aunt, and her husband, Albert Baker. Albert worked for Nottingham Corporation and was called out at all hours when problems occurred on the roads. Mum said the house, which was tied to his job, stood in a yard full of equipment which might be needed.

Albert died years before I was born but I'm sure this is the house where they had lived in the 30s.  It's probably long gone.

• Like 2

That photo (from the NEP) fascinated me because I hadn't seen it before.

The foreground today is totally different, but further back the skyline is still recognisable, as Google demonstrates.  https://goo.gl/maps/3DZ36d7M2NUsw2d98

In the top centre is the tower of Radford Mill which is currently being converted to housing. It also gets a lot of mentions in this old thread  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10134-garden-street-area/?

• Like 1

I know this photo was shown for the benefit of Jill Sparrow a couple of years ago, but it suddenly dawned on me that I could see the butcher shop where I worked as a lad, ( hard to believe I know but I was once !). Hopefully I've circled in yellow where it was. Next door, on our left was a dress shop then a pub, corner of Bloomsgrove St. The other side to the right was a double shop which was a greengrocers, can't remember their surnames but they were Bill and Sid, ( Jewish family, lived at Wollaton).. Next to them was a coffee bar/cafe, frothy coffee in a glass cup.!

There was another shop, can't remember what though. Then Garden street. Funny wot crops up innit..

https://i.postimg.cc/jjP6WJLW/IMG-20190805-121933.jpg[/

Dont know why this piccy didn't open. B.

• Like 2

As I've said in the Garden Street thread, every Christmas eve, up to and including 1964, my father finished work early and came to number 4 to have a glass of home made elderberry wine before we all walked home. En route to number 4, he collected his order from the butcher's at the top of the street. This always included pork pie. Dad was particular about his pork pie, so it must have been good. He also ordered whatever we were having to eat at Christmas. I cant remember the name of the shop but it may have been where Beekay worked as a lad.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Not sure about this but my mother often pointed out what looked like the house in this photo as we travelled past it on the bus when I was a child. She said her aunt and uncle had lived there when she was a child. They were Lily Saunt, my great aunt, and her husband, Albert Baker. Albert worked for Nottingham Corporation and was called out at all hours when problems occurred on the roads. Mum said the house, which was tied to his job, stood in a yard full of equipment which might be needed.

Jill, did you notice there is a close-up of the same house in pictures 2 and 17 ?

Jill, it depends on which butchers your dad used. If it was round the corner on Ilkeston rd. then it probably was the one where I worked. The butcher was Tom Straw, I also remember he lived at no.17, Sketchley  St., Sneinton, with his wife and I think, two sons. I know this because quite often when we finished work on a Saturday he would take me home to meet his wife and I'd stay for tea, usually something cooked. Then he would put me on a bus to go home. Interestingly the window awning and sun blind carried the name of Thomas Clarke, who was the previous shop owner. Bearing in mind this was over sixty years ago, I remember the number of the first telephone I ever saw, 77153. I had to answer, " Hello, Straws Ilkeston road". Used to be terrified of it. My wages were 12/6d plus a joint of meat to make up to 17/6d .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I did indeed, CT. What I can't work out is where we were going to on the bus when we passed it!

You could have only come from crown island if you were on a 39 trolleybus. There's only three stops from the terminus. Unless of course you were coming from Bilborough direction on a 56 or 60. Noticed on picture 17, the road was still cobbled. B.

Well that would take you up Beechdale rd., Aspley lane, Alfreton rd then onto city centre. You wouldn't touch Ilkeston rd.  B.

• Like 1

Beekay, 

I agree with you, this post has brought back a load of memories and me to this site.

I think the bus was the number 13 to town up Alfreton Rd

That fish and chip shop you talk about was, according to my uncle originally from Sheffield but now lived in London, the best chip shop in Britain. I can’t remember the names (Scales?) but it was run by a mother and a daughter. 

The picture of the Reeves beeroff  on Grassington Rd was one of the places in my early teens where we would hang out in the evening chatting up the local birds. Sometime around 1960, give or take, it was taken over by Mr. Wilson who became a City Counsellor. He was very helpful to me in getting a grant to go to sea school and in fact signed my Indentures, which I still have, as the witness to my Dad’s signature.

We lived in the only Ainsley Estate council house on Grassington Rd and my parents were the first people in the house maybe 2 or 3 years before I was born.

Like you I rode a bike for a “living”.  From the age of 11 for a couple of years I worked at the Co-op on Bobbers Mill, delivering orders on Friday night and Saturday morning for 10 bob a week. plus tips. Much better that a paper round.

In that era Ainsley Estate and that part of Radford and Beechdale was a great place to grow up, Bluebell Woods, The Canal, Tadpole Lane, New Bridge, the slag heaps, Woollaton Park. Was up and out before Beechdale Baths were built but my kids would go there when staying with my parents on their summer visits.

• Like 1

Tadpole Lane. Was that the short cut from St Peters St, and over the railway ?