• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bus stop in your picture is a trolley bus stop, (39) the motor bus stop was lower down to the right, about 30 yards, (56/60). The shop to the left of the bloke was a barbers shop, I believe. Numbe

Considering I moved from Radford when I got married in 1965 and after 18 months on Burford rd., I moved to Upton drive, off Valley road and didn't get to Radford very often except to visit parents on

Here's another one stirred up from your photo CT. I vividly remember riding up that street on my butchers bike with two big bowls of beef dripping for my butcher boss's brother, who had a chip shop on

It's called that now RR, but in the late 50's I'd cycle up Churchfield Lane, turn right onto St P's St to the bend, then a cinder track led over the Leen and the railway, then another track to Northdown Rd. We always called it Tadpole Ln. 

Just over the railway bridge, it was possible to turn right, and go past where Collins is now, and reach Aspley Lane.

• Like 2

Welcome MartynH, nice to have you aboard. I know the 13 route as I used to drive it, but it wouldn't be the bus that Jill was referring to because it started on glaisdale drive, wigman rd, Beechdale rd, turn left on to western blvd., then aspley lane and on to town via alfreton rd.

Don't know how long ago you are alluding to re Ainsley estate but the chip shop I delivered to was my bosses brother, so his name would be Straw also. Used to take bowls of beef dripping (2), and sausages normally and a joint if he wanted a Sunday roast. My route was garden St, Denman St, St. Peters St, then over the Leen via new bridge finishing up through a little cut through by some allotments which came out onto Ascot rd, aspley lane turn left on grassington rd, eventually to the chip shop. Always got a cup of tea !  This was all back in 1954 to 1958.

My boss also had a sister who had a little shed like cafe built into some big advertising hoardings, on Colwick road. Used to deliver there by 44 trolley bus. Coming back, the stop was right outside her door.   Beekay.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I can remember New Bridge being built, early to mid 60s?  There was a scrap yard down there. Can't remember the name. Frank somebody or other?

Think it might've been Frank Pownall, Jill, Jackie's brother.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:30 PM, Beekay said:

Another addition to your picture CT., On Norton street at the bottom of the photo, the first row of houses on the left side (after the empty space)  is where my gran used to live. This was Henry street, a little dead end street. She lived at number 5.

I missed this a few days ago. Your Gran was on Henry Street  (on the left) and was pretty close to my aunts (on Garden Street).

OKHyEeX.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you CT, much obliged. Incidentally, I never knew Radford mill was called that ! I only ever knew it as Vyella. B.

Tadpole lane was as Fly described, a lane with a little stream running beside it passing allotments from New Bridge to near Aspley Lane just before the Wheatsheaf. It would come out by some small factories, I can’t remember the names but I think one of them made swimming costumes.

Jill, New Bridge, I believe, was built long before the 1960’s. It was mentioned in a Alan Silitoe short story about keeping pigs on the land which I assume became Ainsley Estate 

The canal I mentioned was up Beechdale and Wigman Road, form the canal there was a cut through to Woolaton that passed private land that had a lake in it. We would get through the fence and fish in the lake - rumor had it that there was a record Pike in that lake - all I ever caught was a cold. 

• Upvote 1

The cut through you mentioned led from hollington rd over the railway bridge was woodyard lane, which led onto Lambourne drive, this came to Wollaton rd. The pond you refer to is Harrison's nature reserve. Thought I'd throw this useless information in, free of charge !  :victory:

• Like 1

I'm probably thinking of New Bridge Road being built. My father knew the Hawley family who lived on St Peter's Street so I sometimes went there with him. The houses are long gone. Still can't think of the name of the scrap yard but it wasn't Pownalls.

That cut though back of the allotments coming out where the new houses are built on the old Speedo site is still there, there is also a new walkway from bottom of Wollaton Road Chettles Yard, cuts in between the new student accommodation, follows the Leen comes out just before New Bridge.

Those ponds you speak of @MartynH Raleigh pond & Martins Pond still there, we where also told that pike story in the 70s & 80s usally by Ted the bailiff, dogs came out those ponds with no legs! 

• Like 1

Re; the scrapyard. I've got a 1970s photo of New Road showing a garage (not scrap yard) run by F G Shepherd. It's a really run down and decrepit shed, so you might've thought it was a scrap yard.

I'll dig out the photo.

• Like 1

DaveN and Radfordred, spot on with Speedo, Martin’s Pond - came right back, well done!

In the winter we would usually go sledding down the embankment on what eventually became the Beechdale Baths side of the railway bridge on Western Boulevard. One winter when we had a particularly heavy and deep snow fall somebody came up with the bright idea of going on the slag heaps just over New Bridge instead. It wasn’t as good and I remember going home covered in coal dust with black and torn clothes and getting the full treatment from my Mum. 

Sorry - me Mam

or should it be our Mam

Beekay - about the Ainsley Road fish shop, its just my memory or lack of it. But what comes to mind is a rather large lady who was the Mum and an even larger lady who was the daughter. In fact there may have been even two daughters. Either way they did great fish and chips, mushy peas, pies with gravy - yum yum yum 

That still doesn't tell me what era your alluding to. It could have been any time after my visits as a lad. So still no wiser. Had a look on Google maps but can't locate any shops in that area. I know there are/is shops on grassington road, but for the life of me I can't remember where I turned down, whether it was Ainsley rd or vale crescent south. I'm sure there was another shop next door with a bit of a gap between, might of been a grocers. I'm pretty sure it's not Southfield crescent. ( when I lived at the bottom of Kennington road, we used to walk along the railway track and climb over a pals back garden, who lived on Southfield. A point of interest, the pal had an older sister who was a hairdresser who did my bride to be hair for our wedding. She came to the wedding with her fiance who happened to be Gerry Carver, captain of Notts County f.c).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

; the scrapyard. I've got a 1970s photo of New Road showing a garage (not scrap yard) run by F G Shepherd. It's a really run down and decrepit shed, so you might've thought it was a scrap yard.

I'll dig out the photo.

Spot on, CT. Fred Shepherd. He was also a friend of my father's.  People went there for car parts and spares, so I suppose I thought of him as a breakers cum scrap yard.

Remember going over to Shepherds to get a starter motor and battery for my 1954 ford popular. Side valve engine, no heater and vacuum wipers, used to pack in when going uphill !

Beekay 

I was actually born in the Grassngton Rd house in 1950 and lived there until I went away to school in 1964, then would come back periodically until my Dad died in 2005.

The shops were about halfway down Ainsley Rd on the right hand side if going towards New Bridge. There was a a butchers, the fish shop, a twitchell through to Vale Crescent South , then a Meadows and finally a greengrocers. 

Were you part of the Railway gang. I remember having many stone throwing set toos with you guys on the railway line  climbing over the railings from the Robert  Shaw playing field. One time I got one in the forehead and had to go to the Children’s Hospital to get stitches. I still have the scar.

I don’t remember that particular girl but, there were some superstars who lived on that estate. One of my best mates oldest sister married Calvin Palmer (Forest) about 1960. He did not play in the 1959 FA Cup team but he did play while Jack Burkitt was captain. My mate and I used to get free tickets to all the home games and his Dad would drop us off from his sidecar at 10 + years old outside City Ground. The spectators would make sure we go to the front no matter how full and who we were playing. After the match we would walk back over Trent Bridge to my Gradma’s house in the Meadows where my Dad’s family lived. We would have tea then one of my cousins would take us home two up on the back of his motor bike. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, MartynH said:

The shops were about halfway down Ainsley Rd on the right hand side if going towards New Bridge. There was a a butchers, the fish shop, a twitchell through to Vale Crescent South , then a Meadows and finally a greengrocers. 

I don't know the area, but I think I can see why Beekay couldn't find them. They seem to have been converted back to housing.

https://goo.gl/maps/SmwP97noySrk2zzt9

• Like 1

Thanks a million CT. I suspected they might be the houses, although they look like they have been extended somewhat. I remember that I used to deliver round through back door past clean dustbins with ready cut chips in water. I would guesstimate that those bowls of beef dripping would about 20lbs, and I carried two on my carrier bike.

MartynH, I never belonged to any gang or threw any stones at anyone. There was only three of us and we would be about 15/16, our pal who lived over the railway happened to be a girl although there was never any romantic attraction, but not for want of trying !! I was never, nor still not interested in football. Just thought it novel that Notts County captain came to my wedding.

17 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Spot on, CT. Fred Shepherd. He was also a friend of my father's.  People went there for car parts and spares, so I suppose I thought of him as a breakers cum scrap yard.

This is it, and looking at it more closely, maybe it was a combination of garage and scrap yard. Difficult to see how far it extends to the right, towards all the fencing.

GBfmymS.jpg

• Like 1