Wollaton Waitrose

I don't know if anyone saw this recently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-49149461

I remember when that site was the Park and Ride site for the failed Zone and Collar system to keep cars out of the city centre. The so-called "Lilac Leopard" coaches often had just one passenger on them! Later on it was Main Stop, then the Co op and then Waitrose. My Mum lived round the corner until she went into a care home last year, and my brother and I sold her house just before Christmas so hopefully we benefitted from the Waitrose effect.

The lady pictured near the beginning of the article, Daphne Simpson, used to run the newsagent opposite the doctor's surgery with her husband in the 1970s. Later on she became a good friend of my Mum and they used to get together with other ladies to do craft activities and play Scrabble. She must be well into her 90s by now and is still looking good.

• Like 1

The quality of Waitrose food is undoubtably superior but with a price tag to match.  I was a dedicated Waitrose shopper for 30 years before moving back to Nottingham.  In our local town of Berkhamsted there was a Waitrose and a Tesco.  I never ever went into Tesco.  On moving up to Nottingham I wondered how I would cope without Waitrose but no way was I going to trek over to Newark.  Then the Little Waitrose opened in town followed by the Wollaton store.  I’ve been in neither and have managed to buy good quality food in a variety of supermarkets close by, including Lidl and Aldi.  Mind you, when the local Lidl first opened I thought I might have to put a paper bag over my head to go in there, didn’t want the neighbours talking about me!   It turns out that Lidl’s is the place to catch up on local gossip, I always see someone I know whilst browsing the centre aisle.  

• Upvote 1

We use Waitrose in Newark for convenience as it's our nearest big supermarket but we probably use Morrisons Netherfield more often. Also we use Lidl at Bingham. Quite honestly Waitrose is nothing special. Morrison's has far better fruit, veg and meat and Lidl is excellent value. Waitrose really is nothing to get excited about.

I just wish that Lidls would ditch the non food items, and stick to good quality reasonably priced produce. 

We use one in Lymington, Hants, when staying with relatives, and it's ludicrous. EVERYTHING is much more than here.

My wife is a dedicated Waitrose shopper. We live a just outside Southwell so Newark Waitrose is close. She also visits the Wollaton Waitrose as its a short diversion on the way to the grandchildren she sees several times a week and is very miffed at it closing. 

Sainsburys in Arnold has the cheapest fuel in this area, however Asda is cheaper still, but only if you pay by card. 

Morrisons packs of doughnuts are much better than Tesco and cheaper!  Never tried a Waitrose doughnut (if they sell them in packs!)

Phil, what has being tattooed got to do with shopping?  Not sure of the logic there...

Do you have tattoos covering the bulk of your body? Are you grossly obese?Nothing to do with shopping - just puts me off my dinner! People in Waitrose like to give the impression they've just got of their horse! I dislike plebs and posh people equally.

47 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Newark Waitrose does have fewer grossly obese tattooed customers. Morrison's Netherfield has a wider, better and cheaper selection. 

You mean Morrisons Netherfield has a wider, better and cheaper selection of grossly obese tattooed customers ?? :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, davep5491 said:

I didn't get a free paper and coffee.

I've never understood that walking around Waitrose with a FREE coffee malarky, Some even take their own drinking vessels! What's all that about? 

I have never eaten a doughnut or wanted one, after reading your post @MargieH I feel I want one? You've sold it well. 

• Upvote 1

It's supposedly the trendy thing to do, as strolling along nonchalantly shopping with free coffee in hand gives the impression that you're a superior being, and at ease with the world, and not a care I the world. 

Me ? I walk through the door of Tesco's, and my hands turn to claws, my feet turn to hooves, and I suddenly want to demolish the place full of chavs, kids, old people, slow people, fat people, tattooed people, hairy backed oafs in sweaty vests. Well anybody who gets in my way really.

• Like 2

You forgot Fly,,,  blokes with 'Jumpers' just on the shoulders and worst of all 'Sunglasses' on their foreheads...............lol

Yeah ! Twats with sunglasses on their heads at ten at night !

• Like 1

Waitrose Wollaton seems more like a day out for the locals & was always good for spotting crap number plates in the car park usally attached to a Range Rover or Audi?

I'm also informed the layout was quite easy for shoplifting? 

Ben, blokes with jumpers (especially pink) strategically placed over their shoulders do the shopping, while their 'husbands' mooch about in the car park.

It is RR,,,,Went in a few weeks ago and thought it was a shoplifters paradise'''.........was always popular with lifters when it was Coop,,,....iv'e mentioned on here before i had a 'Lifter' from Bestwood there,,, cut his head open and Shit hisen'''  very messy but also very funny,,,,,lol

The last time I frequented the one in Newark, there was a family with a baby in nappies, and it was sitting on the table in the cafeteria.

As I was at the checkout, I noticed another baby in a nappy sat on the bleddy belt.

Don't these dorks realise that customers put their food on the tables and belts ? Who on earth wants a pikeys kids wee on their fresh veg !