I was completely unaware of a district/area called Thorneywood until I read about it about a year ago on these pages.

The Thorneywood I knew was a Georgian house on Gregory Boulevard which formed part of HATRA - where I used to work 1964 - 74.The buildings are now (according to M. Google) Page & Kirk, accountants and Graitec a software company.

Very small area Jonab,,,even had a football team  ''Thorneywood Athletic'' and famous at one time for Jubilee Pickles,,,not a lot of people know that'''  lol

11 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

and famous at one time for Jubilee Pickles,,,not a lot of people know that'''  lol

One of the photos in the NEP feature shows the Pickle factory. I seem to remember the subject has appeared somewhere before in NS, but this is a better quality photo.

1Of4lf7.jpg

• Like 1

I mentioned it before cliff ton,,,i  knew it from my 'Van lad' days and delivering there,,,then selling their products in Marsdens shops...

I vaguely remember Jubilee Pickles. Digging really deep into my memory, I think the shop on Oakenhall Avenue, Hucknall sold them. That shop was owned by Frank Knight, the Nottm Forest player as a way of making ends meet and give his family a reasonable standard of living (no gazillion pounds a week for footballers in those days). Frank's wife, Vera, ran the shop together with his mother in law, Mrs Hodges. I remember Frank Knight as being of very short stature, I was taller than him when I was about 12 - 13.

The building that was the shop on Oakenhall Avenue is still there but looks as if it is now a private house.

We used to tag a Thorneywood address to a couple of houses we lived at . Norman Rd and Cherrywood Gdns , both off Porchester .

There was a twitchel on Cherrywood that went to Standhill . I believe it was part of an old pathway that went from St Ann's Well Rd to Gedling , via Donkey Hill .

This is a previous thread on Donkey Hill that mentions an old stile at the top .

4 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

We used to tag a Thorneywood address to a couple of houses we lived at . Norman Rd and Cherrywood Gdns , both off Porchester .

There was a twitchel on Cherrywood that went to Standhill . I believe it was part of an old pathway that went from St Ann's Well Rd to Gedling , via Donkey Hill .

Looking at a few old maps, there seem to have been two footpaths in that area.

The one passing Cherrywood (before it existed) started in St Anns, crossed Porchester Rd, Standhill Rd, and Foxhill Rd...but then seems to disappear.

However...there's another path further east which ends up in Gedling, having crossed Westdale Lane, Cavendish Rd, Foxhill Rd (further down) and started on Carlton Hill near the old Methodist chapel.

• Like 1

This from a letter to the E.P. IN 1942.......ST.BARTHOLOMEWS STILE  was a landmark as it had to be climbed over to get on the paths and fields to reach the old Pad Row Wheatfields. Then there was the old Donkey Hill, steep and uneven for climbing which led the way to the   Pad Fields . One high field on this road led to Lambley. Think of Lambley Sunday, Cowslip Day as they called it......