Help required from gardeners

Can any of you budding gardeners out there please help. I have a Rhododenrum in a large pot outside, but it requires re-potting to an even larger pot, now me being a bit thick about matters of the garden, I wondered if anyone can tell me the best time to re-pot?

Warning Spelling Mistake>>>Rhododendron...... ilikeyou

Ideally after flowering....May/June time.

Mid July should be OK!

Do use ericaceous type compost, or soil pinched from land where rhodies thrive...eg Burntstump Park.

Cheers

Robt P.

Rob has in a nut shell, after flowering. Don't forget to water it before you take it out of it's pot, and water it again after re-potting. if it has alot of roots spiralling round and round when you take it out of it's pot, it won't hurt it to loosen a few before putting it in it's new pot.

Happy potting

xxx

boombox2 Would fairy dust do just as well? vampire2

It's a good job rob237 is an expert because I haven't a clue when it comes to gardening, pruning roses and cutting me lawn that's as far as my knowledge goes.

But one thing I must say and this is going to sound as if I'm blowing my own trumpet here but the neighbours have comented on my hanging baskets this year, see picture below>>>>

post-25-1153749018_thumb.jpg

It's a good job rob237 is an expert.......

!secret! Very wrong.....expert he ain't......

He simply knew the answer to the rhodie question because he'd repotted some before, and was obliged to ask the same questions himself!

His simple gardening philosophy is 'low-maintenance' and 'perrenial' - everything else is avoided !tanning!

Cheers

Robt P.

Well of course I knew you lot out there would come up with the answer - very many thanks to you all - just shows what a fantastic site this is! !clapping!

Your my kind of guy rob.

I have a new next door neighbour and admitted before they moved in the garden hadn't been touched for twenty odd years, he's low maintenance too, he's just cleared it and made a replica of brighton Beach every time I look out of my kitchen window I expect to see the sea and the odd nudist......no joke....see pic below>>>

post-25-1153766744_thumb.jpg

Your my kind of guy rob.

I have a new next door neighbour and admitted before they moved in the garden hadn't been touched for twenty odd years, he's low maintenance too, he's just cleared it and made a replica of brighton Beach every time I look out of my kitchen window I expect to see the sea and the odd nudist......no joke....see pic below>>>

I like how they've set the tree on the front in concrete

• 8 years later...

This Rhoddie plant in a pot is interesting, I never saw it done before, and is ericaceous neccesary? Rhoddies go mad on Uni Blvd and down in the Lynn valley Exmouth area the National Trust are driven mad by rampant Rhodedendrons. The flowers seduce everyone though, but the grant for Highfields will probly see the lot uprooted, will they be replaced thoughtfully?

Rhododendrons will grow iin neutral soil but do much better in acid soil. Their native land is soil made from broken down Andesite, which is an acidic rock.

I love Rhodies but here iin Scotland they are deemd a pest. In Victorian times landowners put the plants around their huge estates and they escaped into hedgerows and other peaty places. Despite having wonderful flowers there are regular Rohdie murdering gangs "Cleaning up" the countryside of these plants. Perhaps surprisingly, the BTCV (British Trust for Conservation Volunteers) were among the most rampant anti-rhodie gangs when I was a member.