CLIFTON - Murder at 9 Chepstow Road (Derek Bull, 1970's)

Hey all. I'm trying to get some information about a murder that occurred in the 1970's, a man who was stabbed to death named Derek Bull, at no 9 Chepstow Road, Clifton. I've searched the net high and low but can't find anything or any info. Can anyone help me as this was my great uncle and we would like to be able to learn more. 

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Brew said:

You sure of the facts, name, date etc?

Hi Brew. Yes, very sure. He was stabbed under mysterious circumstances at 9 Chepstow. The story is a sort of mystery within our family. The story goes that he was arguing with my great granddad and great grandma (his parents)  and during this argument, he was stabbed. My great-granddad took responsibility but we quietly suspect that he took the blame for his wife. These are the basic details we know but we'd like to see if there was anything available out there that could enlighten us more as everyone who was alive at the time that could have provided us with more info within our family are now sadly gone. 

There was a Derek Bull born in Nottingham  in 1939, mother Nellie, I think. A man of that name   died on 15 Jan 1973 and was  buried in Notts on 5 Feb 1973.  He doesn't appear in the Index to deaths, though.  I was going to suggest you get the death certificate, which might give you a little info, but you couldn't give the necessary references from the index to enable you to order it.  You can apply for  the GRO to carry out a search  for it, and, if they have it,  get a copy.  There is a charge. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/.   The Nottingham newspapers aren't online for the period you're looking for, but you should be able to view them in Nottingham.  There's also the possibility of Coroners records, which would be held locally, but they are often destroyed, so they may not be available

• Like 1

Thank you for that information. Yes, this is indeed my great-uncle Derek. It was rumoured in the family that Nellie was the one who stabbed him to death and that her husband took the blame for it. But alas we will never know the full truth. I will certainly try find out where to view the newspapers and see if there is any information I can find and will order the death certificate. Thanks again for your help. 

The newspapers are at the Local Studies Library, but if you're planning to visit, you should check with them whether they hold them for the dates you need. https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/libraries/local-studies-and-family-history

Thinking about the death cert again, it may be worth contacting the appropriate Register Office and asking them to do a search, rather than GRO. Here's the contact details for City of Nottm Register Office, which perhaps isn't the right office, but they should be able to advise which one is!

https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/information-for-residents/births-deaths-marriages/request-copy-certificates/

• Like 1