Like so many people nowdays I have several solar lights in the garden on replacing two 'failures' the instructions state that replacement batteries can be purchased at any electrical store. The specification is AA 1.2v 150mAh Ni-MH but Wilco's & Tesco only stock AA 1.5v  'normal' batteries.  Anyone changed solar type batteries recently and know where they're in stock?  

Hi Albert, from experience, I  have changed many solar light batteries. Never had any problem obtaining them. The ones I use now are 1500m.a. rechargeable.  If the weather has been inclement,  I  often put them in a battery charger to give them a bit of a boost. Argos sell ready charged batteries with a great shelf life. Another place to get them are a decent garden centre. Hope helps, Beekay.;)

Ps. All rechargeable are 1.2v with normal zinc etc are 1.5v. Hence with a 12v unit would require 10 batteries, as opposed to 8 zinc.

Albert, I think the key words in your light instructions are "purchased at any electrical store". I don't know what Wilko is but Tesco is a general supermarket, not an electrical store.

Anyway, that aside, most if not all NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) single cell batteries are 1.2volt. 

Thanks everyone for your help. I think Rr has the best idea at the Valve Shop at least the assistant will  know what he's talking about as Tesco & Wilco's only know 'what it says on the tin'!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Thanks again. 

Albert, have you tried Chaddy's in Bulwell High Rd ?

• 1 month later...

Hi sorry for delay in replying, health's on the blink as well as the lights! Thanks Fly Chaddy's had the batteries so replaced two OK but the one shown is the one I particularly wanted to work. But no joy as the battery is inverted down that central tube with a very thin wire connecting to the terminal in the base, due to corrosion this seperated on unscrewing the 'board'. Just to rub things in one of the springs holding the glass dome to the base shot off down the garden on releasing it, so it's a 'in the bin' job.
It does make you wonder though how these can be produced, put together (7 tiny scews-2 spring clips) shipped half way round the world yet sold for a'fiver'?

solarlight.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bin it Albert ! Try Wilkos, B & M or a similar establishment for a replacement. Hopefully you'll improve health wise soon matey.

1 hour ago, albert smith said:

It does make you wonder though how these can be produced, put together (7 tiny scews-2 spring clips) shipped half way round the world yet sold for a'fiver'?

It's called dumping Albert. It's a tad complicated but essentially all the manufacturing costs are already covered so the ones we see in the shops only cost the price  of the raw materials to make. In this case that amounts to pennies.

Throw away society ....... wish someone would tell my husband that though, he’s forever attempting to repair things around the place, by the time he’s gone out to buy the special tools and materials required we could have bought new.  

Feel better soon young Albert, be good to see you again. 

• Upvote 1

I certainly try to make do and mend, but there becomes a time when its just not practical to do so.

Those lights are so cheap, I'm afraid renewal is the best option. 

When I had wooden garden furniture, I virtually rebuild the bleddy things out of pallets over the years. Impossible now that I've only got Rattan style stuff.

• Like 1

I’ve managed to keep a few of those solar lights going, rather than binning them, by stripping them down and putting them back together properly. The weak point is the  thin rubber seal between the glass and the base. Get that on right, and it stops water trickling down and rusting the battery connectors.

Yes, I am a cheapskate! 

• Like 1

Sorry about your health issues, Albert.  Hope you are soon better.

I've got quite a few of those little solar lights and the  batteries no longer hold a charge after a year or two.  They are marked 2/3 AA.  Same diameter but a tad shorter than regular AA.  The lights sell at Wal Mart for just a dollar and change.  The batteries would probably cost more than that if I could ever find any.

It must be because I grew up fixing stuff.  I hate throwing out a light just because of the battery.