Vacuum Cleaner Shop on Bridlesmith Gate

It looks pretty run down along most of Bridlesmith Gate at the moment. Does anyone remember a vacuum cleaner shop  in the short parade of shops just before Low Pavement? It would be middle-late 1960s.

I's just as a kid I used to love the "thing on a spring" that bounced up and down in their window.

1 hour ago, bamber said:

It looks pretty run down along most of Bridlesmith Gate at the moment.

The closer you get to Broad Marsh - from any angle - the more of a ghost town it becomes.

1 hour ago, bamber said:

Does anyone remember a vacuum cleaner shop  in the short parade of shops just before Low Pavement? It would be middle-late 1960s.

I think I remember it, but which side of the road ? This is Bridlesmith Gate looking towards the top of Drury Hill.

HPd24xq.jpg

I've not been in Bridlesmith Gate for years. I once worked just across the road on Low Pavement. Lovely shops on Bridlesmith Gate in those days. Sad to hear of its decline. Interesting buildings, aside from what was sold in them.

I thought that Pepper st and the vacuum cleaner shop was about opposite Byard lane, which would be just by the camera. That next to Lloyds looks too narrow for Pepper.

Edit looking at Google earth and counting the buildings it does look like Pepper st in the above photo. The picture foreshortens it a bit. And my memory does too.

Almost the same photo from slightly closer to the centre of attention. The Lloyds building has been demolished, but the building on the other side is still there.

Ol6rCtK.jpg

I know what you mean about memory. The older you get, the more you're convinced things were different.

• 2 weeks later...

The shop was definitely on the RHS as you walked towards Low Pavement.

I would say it was the first shop after Pepper Street, where the three blokes are.

I remember my father going in to the shop to get some new motor brushes for a Hoover Constellation.

• 4 months later...
On 8/22/2019 at 5:36 PM, bamber said:

Does anyone remember a vacuum cleaner shop  in the short parade of shops just before Low Pavement? It would be middle-late 1960s.

We can come up with a result for most things if you hang around long enough. Bamber doesn't visit too often but hopefully he'll see this.

fST3Uff.jpg?1

Thanks to Nottm Historical & Archaeological Society for the photo.

The Historical & Archaeological Society also mentioned that they had explored the caves below that building. The caves were full of old, broken vacuum cleaners which were beyond repair.

Historians in the future might suspect some strange religious sect.

• Like 1

JOHN L. HIBBS LIMITED.
Nature of Business: TYPEWRITER & OFFICE EQUIPMENT
SALES, REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE.
Address of Registered Office: 50 Bridlesmith Gate, Nottingham.
Liquidator's Name and Address: A. J. S. Atkin, Atkin &
Co., 18 Carrington Street, Nottingham.
Date of Appointment: 2nd •November 1976.
By whom Appointed: Creditors and Contributors