Dint 'ave to go far to do shopping in the "old days" lol, nearly every corner had it's own grocery shop and just about every third corner was a beer off or green grocers!

And worrabout the local butchers shops! I think every butcher must have been called Reg!!

When me Mam managed the Lady Bay Cleaners on Alfred Street South near the corner of Blue Bell Hill Road, we live opposite Agars green grocers. Little did I know I'd be working with old Harold at Cotgrave pit where he was an electrician. I used to have a crush on his daughter Jennifer, often wondered how she went on.......Many years have passed since then :D

John

I'm not that old as to be the only one who recalls the corner shop, am I???? :o

NO No!! ;) It's just that I personally don't remember the corner shops that you do. I have very fond memories of the corner shops when I was a gel. I particularly remember the shop right on the corner of Turney St, we used to get our penny suckers [as we called them] from there, they were really yummy & lasted for ages & sherbert saucers that made your cheeks laugh.oooo!

I can also remember the smell of the Off Licence, where we used to get our ciggies,we would only get one & share it in the girls loo,we would all be in there one at each side, one on the bog & two at the front!!! the state of that fag had to be seen to be believed after we'd finished with it!! :(

Caz

I can remember the corner Chippy, not facing the bus depot, but further down

on the same side, towards town.

In about 1966, there was a potatoe shortage. The price of a 6d mix

went up to 9d. :o Despite the improvement in the potatoe crop and

drop in price, the mixes never went back down to 6d! :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
I remember Fullagers chip shop on the corner of Sutton street during the early sixties.. one delicacy I partuicularly remember is munching through a delicious hot Sanderson meat pie only to discover underneath a squashed blackclock embedded in the crust.. :blink:

mmmm.. all that extra protein.. yes we were certainly spoilt in those days ! :P

Do you realise there aren't many youngsters would know what a blackclock is or was these days, and it's mainly a Notts expression??

I know live in the cockroach capital of the world, southern Missouri, and we have the big American browns, plus our old black Nottinham favourite!!

Just a little trivia....I found out recently doing a search that "Blackclock" came from a German word and spread through miners terms.....

Still can't abide the littel critters...Yuckkkkkkkkkk

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

How did this innocent discussion go from the corner shops to disgusting insects and vermin?!!! :blink:

This one's for the girls, do any of you remember a dress shop on Parliament street named Anne Brook? My mom worked there in the 50's. She told me she got the job there just so she'd have a nice wardrobe for when she moved to the states! :rolleyes:

Isn't that just like a woman, more concerned about what to wear than anything else! :P

Hey you can't argue with that!! Where does your mum live now, still in the States I presume?? Can't remember the shop myself i'm probably a bit younger than her. When did you last visit Nottingham Cali Gal??

My last visit was in 1993, it's been a while! I'm hoping not too much has changed, cause I loved it there! :rolleyes:

Does she remember the dress shop on Derby Road, on the left as you went down, Lipmans I think it was called, I used to make wedding dresses and evening dresses for them in the '60's

Trying to squash a quart into a pint pot was no mean feat. the fleshy bits used to pop out all over, totally uncontrollable.

Not the done thing today, all M&S and C&A, made to measure garments are not called for. I still make my own though, never bought a dress in the last 45 years. That shows my age!!!

A :P

There was a Farrands across the road from where I lived on Aspley Lane. They used to fascinate me with the butter in a big block and cut off what you asked for. The cheese came in the same way, not the pre-packed rubber you buy now, I don't think it has ever seen milk...!!!

Don't look now but I am showing my age.

I think there was a Marsdens on that line of shops as well, I know there was a Salvation Army citidel there, we had a street party at the Coronation and as usual it rained so we all piled into there. My mum made a crown out of jelly and blancmange with cream and fruit pastels for ermine and jewels, it looked that good no one wanted to eat it.

There was a Post Office sorting office there as well It had a snooker hall above it. The whole thing was later transformed into the first food hall of its type.

The co=op on the corner of Robinswood Road and the Lane was the first self service shop the co-op ever tried. It is now a funeral parlour...!!!

A :P

This one's for the girls, do any of you remember a dress shop on Parliament street named Anne Brook?

Was that on the corner of the walkway up the right side of Coop House. :huh:

I only know cos I went in with a Girlfriend in 1970? :P

Did they used to sell Quite lacey blouses? :)

Mom says it was on the left side of Coop house a little ways up, not on a corner. ;)

Anyone remember the Home&Colonial stores and the Maypole shop on Hyson Green? Everything was weighed up in front of you tea,sugar butter etc.When you paid the money was put in little bucket things and would shoot across the ceiling to the cashiers and your change come back the same way. :rolleyes:

Still preferred the family run corner shops though, long gone now...Anyone remember Annie Keelings beeroff on Briar Street??

And how come all the butchers were called Reg :rolleyes:

How did this innocent discussion go from the corner shops to disgusting insects and vermin?!!! :blink:

This one's for the girls, do any of you remember a dress shop on Parliament street named Anne Brook? My mom worked there in the 50's. She told me she got the job there just so she'd have a nice wardrobe for when she moved to the states! :rolleyes:

Isn't that just like a woman, more concerned about what to wear than anything else! :P

You never answered the other persons question Cali, are you still in the States.

I'm down in southern Missouri.

Yes, I am in Northern California near Sacramento. Did I read somehwhere that you spent some unpleasant time here? :( I'm in Roseville, quiet little town that has grown quite a bit in the 4 years that we've lived here :o Good thing is the property values have gone WAY up since we bought here :D I have a friend who lives in Parkville MO. Are you close to there?

No, just got bored with the politics and climate Cali...

We lived just around the corner from you then for a few years in Foothill Farms, on Lancelot Drive close to Diablo and just about two hundred yards from Roseville Road. My son lives in Roseville now.

We moved up to Mt Aukum in the foothills and lived there for six years overlooking the Sacramento Valley, what wonderful views we had!

John

What part of Roseville does your son live and does he have any kids in school or Little League? I live way on the West side off of Woodcreek Oaks and Baseline, and I have 2 sons that play in Woodcreek Little League. :)

Just checked Cali, made a mistake, he used to live in Roseville, now he lives in Citrus Heights, not far away though....Tiara Way.

He's divorced too, though he should be a Dad by now, got to call him and find out if his ex girlfriend gave birth yet. No other kids, so he doesn't have any at school.

• 4 years later...

Do you realise there aren't many youngsters would know what a blackclock is or was these days, and it's mainly a Notts expression??

I know live in the cockroach capital of the world, southern Missouri, and we have the big American browns, plus our old black Nottinham favourite!!

Just a little trivia....I found out recently doing a search that "Blackclock" came from a German word and spread through miners terms.....

Still can't abide the littel critters...Yuckkkkkkkkkk

A cockroach will live nine days without it’s head, before it starves to death.

• 6 years later...

I presume by the name of the restaurant on the right, that this is in New Milton in Hampshire.

Wow Red,................right out the blue that one,..............the only Marsdens restuarant i remember was next door to Vic Station,and that don't look like it.........

Ill try and locate it next time I'm in the area, as I frequent the area a lot as I visit relatives regularly.

• Upvote 1