I've just got home from a funeral at Wilford Hill. As usual, in the hubbub of catching up on gossip with old friends, I forgot to switch my 'phone off prior to going in. It wasn't until the most sombre part of the ceremony, the committal, that I remembered it was still switched on. I'd taken my jacket off in the heat and it was lying across my knee. The 'phone wasn't easily accessible and I didn't want to turn it off blindly in case it played a tune! I sat there saying silently, 'please don't ring, please don't ring'. Fortunately it didn't. My worst fear was, as it's connected to my security cameras, that it would announce loudly 'there's someone at your front door!' Every time I go to a funeral I forget to switch it off. I can't  get away with this forever!:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

At a number churches here all visitors are obliged to leave their electronic devices at the door. A receipt is given for you to collect the item on the way out.

This isn't foolproof, though. It was quite common these 'confiscated' items to make their noise and still be heard in the main part of the church. What happens now is, at my local church at least, is for the devices to be placed outside watched over by one of the clergy and a big dog.

I think it would be a good idea to remind people of this with a prominent notice at the door. Although the idea of a 'phone ringing might sound amusing I'm sure a lot of people would be upset -  especially if the ringing came from within the coffin!

Reminds me of the story of an orchestra conductor.  (Doubt its true).  In the middle of a symphony his phone rang.  He stopped the orchestra and answered.  His next words were, "I've told you not to call me at the office."

I attended a funeral at Markeaton Crem a few years ago,

The deceased was a member of the Strelley family and a keen fisherman. He was encased in an osier basket, similar to the one he took fishing.

Half way through, during a lull after a reading from The Strelley Bible, we were treated to a rendition of The William Tell Overture from someone's phone!  Gone Fishin' would have been more appropriate but we laughed anyway, as he would have done.

• Like 2

Trust the phone to ring at an awkward moment!
                                      https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/VxlKZereog0?rel=0

• Upvote 1
On 8/27/2019 at 3:41 PM, philmayfield said:

especially if the ringing came from within the coffin!

Be a bit of a shocker if a voice come from the coffin and said "answer that bleddy phone will yer"