Another NEP old photo feature. This time Lister Gate and surrounding area. Notable for a lot of photos of Woolworths, Walter Fountain, and Sawyers Arms. The area was turned into a dead-end by Broad Marsh Centre, and as a result of the recent rundown of that Centre, the area is currently a total ghost town.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/changing-face-lister-gate-1950-3272447

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Cliffton, popped in for a early doors once, didn't the Sawyer's Arms have a mirror ball and it was a biggie but not in use.

Also very plush carpets..coloured Red?

Thread bare, sticky or non existent was more my scene! :rolleyes:

This was about 1984.

Edit. Still got what I think was some C&A clobber, been in use constantly since late 80's, very little ware or fading. after 100 + washes!

Looking at these I've just rediscovered Woolie's old building and Sawyers Arms (pic 16.) It seems the upper frontages above the ground floor have been preserved, full in their unique Architectual splendour.

Which is a Good Thing.

Trouble is they can't be appreciated because of the trees.

Which is a Not-So-Good Thing.

But we need and we like the natural trees.

Which are Good Things.:wacko:

Still very impressive buildings, though.

• Like 1

Thanks Cliff Ton for photos of the past, when i think back to Nottingham Queen of the Midlands where oh! where has she gone. At one time I was proud of my city, showing family's  the sights who came from down south, and people from all over the world who would like to see my city. In fact any one who was a stranger.

Gone Tobys,- Can A, - Woolworths,- Boots bottom Pelham st with it's swing doors -Co-Op -Burton's (under the arcade) remember how under the council house was trimmed up at Christmas, Pesrson's,- Griffin and Spladins, -Black Boy hotel- County Hotel The Flying Horse Hotel. I'm sure member's can add more. Remember also the Co-Op had big swing doors and Griffin,s with it's mahogany staircase.  But one of the best things was at Christmas when all the large store's would compete to be the best Santa's Grotto. Let's not for get Dury Hill. and did Nottingham  not at one time have the "Prettiest Girls in the UK "  May be I'm hard but the planner's who ruined our city should be shot, as we will never get back how beautiful City.

Well to end on the last note even our LIONS don't roar any more when a virgin walks past, they also have given up seeing what a mess the Queen of the MIDLANDS has ended up.

• Like 2
On 9/1/2019 at 2:19 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Another NEP old photo feature. This time Lister Gate and surrounding area. Notable for a lot of photos of Woolworths, Walter Fountain, and Sawyers Arms. The area was turned into a dead-end by Broad Marsh Centre, and as a result of the recent rundown of that Centre, the area is currently a total ghost town.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/changing-face-lister-gate-1950-3272447

The writing was on the wall with demolition of Trinity Square and the construction of the awful Victoria Centre and that den of crime the multi-storey car park. The closure and pedestrianisation of the once lovely Lister Gate with the equally diabolical awful Broad Marsh Centre and Maid Marion Way set the tone for a deserted city scape. I escaped the ruination of a once plesant city in 1965 and have never regretted doing so. Remember the stabbing of a man in the News House pub off Angel Row which pulled the trigger for the notorious violent episodes of criminal escalation that seemed to follow and gave Nottingham the reputation of the gun crime city of the nation.

• Like 2