Park Tavern Football Team 1974

Ben , I was going to post this pic a few months ago but forgot all about it and then you happened to mention the team yesterday !

Recognise any names ?   :)

From the Football Post Nov 16th 1974

48662234722_680a2ec38b_b.jpg

48662271837_bf98d0413c_o.jpg

• Like 2

David,,you dont know how happy you've made me,,

Yes i know em all including myself,,lol,,

I played for them for at least 10 years,,only ever had one photo which i lost years ago,,

Its 1.30 am now, just woke up for a drink etc,,and had quick peep on my phone,,ill bore everyone tomorrow with stories about each and every one of them,,most were my life long friends,,David thank you again,so very very much,,

Benjamin1945,,or even my real name,,wonder if anyone ive met on here can sus which is me,,lol,,

• Like 6

Like i said above David's brilliant find is wonderful to me,,,,those lads on there i will never forget for story',s on and off the Pitch,,most i went to school with, and are off good old Bestwood estate,,we stayed together for many years,,only see two of them nowadays,,and we still speak of our Football days with Park Tavern United.

I fully intend to tell you all some tales about many of them,,so beware...lol....iv'e just got up,,but i will be back,,,just leave you for now with all their Happy smiling faces,,,thanks David....

• Like 2
8 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Benjamin1945,,or even my real name,,wonder if anyone ive met on here can sus which is me,,lol,,

I've often wondered what you looked like in your prime !

I know the real name but I won't spill any beans here.

• Like 1

Quite a few of my remaining relatives in Nottm are regulars ( one might even be called a 'fixture') at the Park Tavern.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I've often wondered what you looked like in your prime !

I know the real name but I won't spill any beans here.

Clever cloggs Jilly has already done it mate,,,,but i'll stick with Benjamin on here,,,after all it is my middle name,,,and it was my Dad and Grandads name,,

How many happy smiling faces on that photo,,you don't see that as much today do ya,,

There were some really good players in that team,,who with a different 'mind set and a few lucky breaks would have made Pro,,,we never won any Trophies but always finished high up the Notts football combination first division,,,,we played on a saturday and every Sunday would take our ladies to the Tavern,,,and we all dressed up, Sunday nights were almost as good as playing the day before. The Ladies all retired to the Public bar and had laughs with the old Teddy boys,whilst playing the''Juke box,, us blokes went in the 'Gents only room' to discuss the previous days game,,if someone had a 'Stinker' he was always told,,and the team was then picked by a 'Commitee for the following week,,,Pity the manager Charlie Harris isn't on the photo,,he was a Bestwood chap and a lovely fella,,,......i'll shurrup now,,but i know it won't be for long,,iv'e so much to tell,,,

Sorry to those that i bore or don't like football,,but i can't help it,,.......lol

• Like 1

Ready for a bit more about the Park Tavern photo ?...........oh go on then,,,

Back row,,6 of the 7 were Bestwood lads,,and five of them lived on Andover road,,,,

Left to right,, Paul Randle known as Wombat,,one of the youngsters,,he was a truly gifted player,,i heard he went to live in Norway and played pro'

Chris,,my younger brother,,only 18 on the photo,,obviously a good player,,and a bit excitable still love him,,

Kenny Gray,,best goalkeeper i ever played with,,,from our schooldays up to being about 30,,still see him in Bulwell,,great lad...

Yours truly,,natural left footer,,played centre half for Tavern,,obviously could have made it,,,but was always distracted by other things in life,,  lol

Harry Fewkes,,knew him all his life,,grew up next door to each other,,school together,,Locarno nights together,,did just about everything together,,,sadly now gone,,about 4 years ago.

Phil Dickens,,played wing half,very dependable,,don't think he was a Bestwood lad,,,so didn't know him that well.

Trevor Allcock,,very special in so many ways,,knew him from being 5 yr old,,worked with him on leaving school,,and again in our 50s,,without doubt the most skilful player in the team,,midfielder and took all the free kicks if in sight of goal,,God bless him,,left us a few years ago.

Front row,, Cookie,,only played a couple of seasons for us,,,very good winger,,mostly played for Golden Ball i think.

Trevor Hopewell,,without doubt another very talented player,,mostly up front,,,don't know what became of him..

Roy Morris,, another youngster at the time,,but excellent midfield skills..

Alan Street,, plied his considerable skills with many teams,,think mostly Basford miners welfare,,winger or centre forward,,another who sadly passed about 3 years ago.

Last but not least the crazy character Kelvin Macdonold,,skills up front unlimited,,,really should have made it,,,just didn't happen his talent was obvious to all,always had a smile on his face.........not heard of him for many years,,,

Its brought a lump to my throat writing that,,,i'd like to think that they or their families read it and they should be proud,,,they were all terrific characters never to be forgotten,,,

• Like 3

Yes I spotted our Ben and then looked him up on ancestry. Found his younger brother, his parents' marriage and Ben's first foray into matrimony all whilst devouring my toast, yoghurt and coffee on a tray in bed this morning before setting off for work. Know all about ya now Ben!!

Your paternal great great great great grandad's name was Granville! :Shock:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Brother came up to see me today,,,don't see a lot of each other,,shown him the Park Tavern picture that DavidW put on,,,he like me was over the moon,,thanks David,,

We then spent the next two hours discussing our time playing for them,,and the other lads on the photo,,,,he's since sent me a picture of the Heathfield pub team (Arnold road) from the 80s,,,and waxed lyrical about the players on it,,,none of whom we see now.

Don't know about anyone else but i'm always left with a sad feeling after things like that.,,,,times were so good,,,we thought they'd never end,,we'd sing and dance................carnie !!!

• Like 3

We'd live the life we choose,,we'd fight and never lose........nice one Margie........don't tell carnie........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You've got the cheekbones to sing that song Ben. All you need is the long blonde hair and a guitar!!

Funny you should say that Jill.........i was born at my Aunts Connie Hopkins,,,,got lots of Hopkins Cousins,,,and one was a bridesmaid at my first wedding,,,still see her,,think shes got a guitar and def. had long blond hair...........often nip in to see her makes good Coffee,,,,our Angie.......

Edit..........just seen that ,a ''CAD''?  why thank you dear lady........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'll bet it was Jill...................we certainly laughed away the hours''''............even though my brother only lives in Bulwell we don't see a lot of each other,,but when we do meet its laughter all the way,,,and lots of great memories,,,we also get quite emotional,,,don't mind admitting it..........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

We'd live the life we choose,,we'd fight and never lose........nice one Margie........don't tell carnie...

Those were the days....Oh yes those were the days. La   La   la la  lala.....................:biggrin:

• Like 2

Yes Jill, poor old Geoff,,local lad from Eastwood,, knew his Aunt or Cousin,,June lived in Kirkby,,good store detective for the Coop,,she would go where Angels feared to tread,,did a few shifts with her,,bless her,,,,,lol,