‘Garden Rescue’

I don’t know if anyone saw ‘Garden Rescue’ last Friday when Charlie Dimmock and the Rich Brothers did a garden rescue at one of the row of houses that used to be the Elm Tree pub on the riverside at Hoveringham. I imagine the programme was made last year. We diverted on our way home today to have a look as we drove by and were disappointed to see that after all the work the garden didn’t appear to have been very well maintained. I think they had to pay £3,000 up front for the materials and plants and the programme covered the rest. I was rather hoping to see something really special.

• Upvote 1

Yes Phil, I watched the programme and have thought of going over there to have a nose, probably won’t bother now you’ve told us that.  

I can’t say I liked the creation the garden planners worked on and as for that scruffy woman Charlie Dimmock, no comment! 

I spent many Sunday afternoons in the late 60s and early 70s water-skiing on the river outside the Elm Tree and then drinking inside the pub during the evening with a great bunch of people, I won’t mention any names but they were all well known Nottingham folk.   I watched the moon landing in the back room there too.  

Happy days!!

• Upvote 1

Last I time was in there was when our son had a birthday party in the function room many years ago. It wasn't one of my regular drinking haunts. The garden is right on the corner and it's not easy to stop so we just drove by very slowly, as many others must have done this week! You were probably skiing with Denis Akins among others. I don't know if he's still alive, I believe his brother George is.  

I watched it too, and wondered where it was. I often think that folk just want a quick makeover, then just leave it to deteriorate.

Never mind, I often enjoy the programme, and always aspire to achieve their results. 

Oh God no ! She's does  absolutely NOTHING whatsoever for me ! She's the ultimate antithesis of my desires !

Just now, LizzieM said:

with a great bunch of people, I won’t mention any names but they were all well known Nottingham folk.   

Must have been Nottstalgia members? 

• Upvote 1

Could well be Nottstalgians now Katyjay, we never know who we’re talking to unless we see someone at a proper meet-up.   Look at the amazing coincidence with Hippogirl and me, met briefly at a school athletics event in 1965 and next meet each other at a Nottstalgia meet-up, now really good friends. 

Yes Phil, Denis was one of the chaps, he was a terrific barefoot skier too.  

I understand Denis died in 2015 at the age of 84. My old friend Doug Selby, his father and his brother, used to waterski back then but that may have been at the Trent Power and Ski boat club at Hazleford. Waterskiing doesn't seem to be as popular round here as it once was. That's strange as the Trent is so much cleaner than it used to be back in the 60's. You can now stand at the riverside and look into clear water that's not smelly.

I often have a drive out to the Rother Valley Country Park on a Sunday, and there's always a fantastic display of waterskiing over obstacles etc. Fascinating, and good bacon cobs in the cafe, after a walk around the lake !

I had a power boat and water skied for years at Gunthorpe and other places, especially Flash Dam and Windemere. I was a member at Rother Valley when it first started. 

Eventually the nimby brigade got the better of us and owning a speedboat became anti-social so we gave it up.

Shame Brew, it's a fantastic location .

Tried water skiing when I  were at National water sports centre, (in the ski club). Pretty useless at it but did much better when I  joined Romney Marsh Mountain Rescue.:rolleyes:

Where people make a mistake on the wire run at Holme Pierrpont is tackling the buoys at the turns. You have to go round them on the outside not the inside track which seems the more natural line.

Wouldn't have thought the marshes had many mountains that needed rescuing, how big was the stretcher?

Oh a Bayliner Phil, we had one too for a short time, kept it in Southampton and went over to Isle of Wight a  couple of times.   It had a petrol Mercury engine.  Most people call them Binliners ;)

That was the whole point Brew. Romney marsh flat as a pancake ! Did you miss the irony ? A bit like Fenland downhill skiers. 

There was no towline when I  was at Holme Pierrpont. I was on patrol and while I  was  watching the ski school, I  was asked if I  fancied a go. Managed to get up on my feet but boy did my back ache!

That’s right Lizzie, a Mercury petrol. I first launched it down on the Helford River and we spent a week exploring Falmouth bay, the Fal and all of the creeks. I swapped it for a Finnmaster 6400 MC which was a much bigger enclosed boat but still towable on its four wheeled trailer. It had a 130hp Volvo diesel and was ideal for towing up to Scotland and exploring the scary waters around the Inner Hebrides including the infamous whirlpool in the Gulf of Corryvrechan. We also took it down to Cornwall where it was a bit hairy towing it down the narrow banked lanes on the last few miles to St. Anthony in Meneage, a placed we had stayed with the children over many years. I wish I’d kept it but it was a long haul towing a heavy boat for over 350 miles and I thought I was getting too old for it! I think I’ve got boating out of my system now but I’m still looking for a new interest once I get round to getting my hip sorted!

• Upvote 1