Keeping fit....or not!

I was out in my shed cooking my chips in dripping when I remembered that I hadn't shut the greenhouse and polytunnel for the night. It was pouring with rain so I thought I'd just run up to the greenhouse and then on to the tunnel whilst my chips were cooking. As I turned the corner towards the greenhouse I ran onto a strip of wet decking, laid as a path over a particularly boggy bit of ground. The next thing I knew I was in the air like a cartoon banana slip! I hit the ground on my side with a thump and lay there for around half a minute trying to get my wits back together. I was soaking wet and not sure if I could move.....Luckily, it seems I don't have osteoporosis and a quick physical check revealed nothing more than some rather nasty aches and pains in my ribs, hip and ankle - no broken bones. I managed to get myself up and back to my chips just in time to save them from burning and then enjoyed my fish and chips with a nice cup of tea (loose leaf of course) despite my stiff bones. Today I am in some pain but I am dead tough so I will recover in a few days or so :) Are there any other daft boggers that do similar things here? Lesson learnt: Old men shouldn't charge around in semi-darkness in the rain....especially when the chips are cooking - they might burn and be wasted!

• Like 1

Most of us think of the saying  'had his chips' as a bad thing. In your case it turned out well so good for you. I bet the bruises will be interesting colours...  thumbsup

• Like 1

Sadly Brew, bruises don't photograph very well. I tried to tke a shot of my leg the other week. It was yellow and black from knee to ankle after an altercation with a stepladder. Alas, it doesn't look very dramatic in pixel form.

I think the weirdest bruises I've had were after being 'attacked' by a Jumping Cholla. It was on a golf course, looking for someone's golf ball in the desert area, that surrounds many golf courses down here. I was only walking past said cactus, and when we came out onto the fairway again, someone in our group said, look at your arm. There embedded in my forearm was a branch of the Cholla. It had actually jumped off the plant and took a liking to me. I never felt a thing. Each spine is barbed, so, easy going in, a bugger to get out. One of the party knocked it off with his golf club (yikes) and where every spine had gone in, was a tiny bruise the next day.  Looked like I'd been peppered by a shotgun.

• Like 1

Chulla once explained on here how he got his nickname, and I've forgotten what he said! His name was pronounced exactly how it is spelt, cholla is pronounced choya. Nor a lot of people know that!

• Like 1
On 9/7/2019 at 6:57 PM, katyjay said:

cholla is pronounced choya.

It must be the Spanish name for the cactus. 'll' in Spanish is pronouinced 'y', hence Cholla = Choya.