Gregory Boulevard Over The Years

When I visited Berridge in March of this year, I planned to have a walk along Gregory Boulevard to look at the Manning site. I was advised not to do so and certainly not on my own in the interests of personal safety.

As WW says, the buildings are still there, albeit scruffier, surrounded by rubbish, parked vehicles and beggars, apparently. Such an awful shame for those of us who remember how it once was.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So many happy memories there. Beautiful buildings which reflect the original affluence of this area. My beloved library, Forest Dene where I was a regular visitor due to bronchitis in the winter, long

Gregory Boulevard over the years on Post website.   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/25-pictures-gregory-boulevard-over-3288455

Just found this:   http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/places/forestfields.htm

A little aside to the thread.

When I worked at HATRA (on Gregory Boulevard) the staff decided to go carol singing to collect money for the patients at Ellerslie House hospital which was next door. So, there we were, ten or so of us dressed (as far as we could) like Victorians and complete with a lantern on a pole. Our area was just the other side of Mansfield Road in Mapperley Park. We did a few houses and collected a reasonable amount (after we had explained ourselves). Then we came to a big house (might have been a Fothergill Watson design) and gave an extra special rendition thinking that they would be well off and might encourage a better donation. Anyway, part way through the first carol the front door opened and a man, a woman and two kids appeared with a trolley of hot drinks and asked us to carry on whilst they fed us cakes and hot cocoa. 

After a few moments I realised that I slightly knew the man to whom we were carolling. He was the Rabbi at the Shakespeare Street Synagogue (who I knew through a friend of a friend). They seemed to appreciate what we were doing and they gave us huge donation (relatively). I can't remember how much now but it was a lot more than all the other donations added together. The Rabbi's name was Rabbi Posen. Anyone have any recollection of him?

Pleased the Rabbi enjoyed the Carols. thumbsup  Perhaps he just enjoyed the tunes and didn't listen to the words?

• Like 1

Reminded me of a teacher who asked the kids, "what does your family do for Christmas?"

One of the kids said, "We are Jewish so we don't celebrate Christmas.  My dad owns a department store so when it closes on Christmas eve they count the money.  Then we all stand around and sing 'What a Friend we have in Jesus,'  before we head for the airport to fly to Hawaii."

• Like 2

Where did the name Gregory come from ?

I did a bit of digging around and can't find any obvious explanation. There doesn't seem to have been anyone famous - or wealthy - who had it named after them. No gentry, landowners or ex-Mayors.

Regarding the name of the boulevard, someone told me once that there was a Gregorian monastery located in the area. I am unable to verify this and it seems a little bit unlikely considering the lack of any other even vaguely associated indicators of the presence of religious orders there.

13 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Where did the name Gregory come from ?

Like a lot of roads , more than likely named after a Councillor .

This one possibly Walter Gregory .

It was constructed early 1880s .

He died 1888 after 25 years as a councillor . 

I can remember this building. It was demolished and a nondescript flat-roofed structure was built on part of the site which, I believe, was Staddons' bed shop. The police station was a fine building and should have been left standing.

The railings were gone by my time, casualties of ww2, no doubt. Next to the police station were public toilets. Occasionally, my mother would use these when caught short whilst out shopping. The cost was 1d and I recall the gleaming brass slots on the doors, along with the aroma of disinfectant dispensed by the lady attendant.

Next along was my beloved library and then the clinic.

• Like 1

I wonder if the bloke behind the laundry basket is pedalling.  It looks like the youngster is sitting with his legs dangling over the front. I might be wrong, I  usually am.

1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

I wonder how that laundry basket is being propelled?:huh:

22 minutes ago, Beekay said:

I wonder if the bloke behind the laundry basket is pedalling.  It looks like the youngster is sitting with his legs dangling over the front. I might be wrong, I  usually am.

Could almost be a ventriloquist's dummy. There don't appear to be any feet visible to the rear of the contraption, so I guess the driver is pedalling.