Gregory Boulevard Over The Years

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So many happy memories there. Beautiful buildings which reflect the original affluence of this area. My beloved library, Forest Dene where I was a regular visitor due to bronchitis in the winter, long

Gregory Boulevard over the years on Post website.   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/25-pictures-gregory-boulevard-over-3288455

Just found this:   http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/places/forestfields.htm

Looks like you've solved it WW., well done. If you look carefully at the old picture, you can just about make out feet/ foot. I'll be able to sleep now !

• 3 weeks later...

I recall Dr McGrath treating me for all kinds of ailments when I was a kid in that house near the Grand. He was very kind and one time I got knocked over by a car on Berridge Road and had a broken collar bone and a nasty graze, and the dressing stuck hard. He soaked it himself and every 10 minutes took a bit more off. I recall the fear I had about that dressing and I was relieved when he got the last bit of it off. No surgery nurses then.

Acton was indeed a butcher. Brutal irishman, and I recall him chiding me for not brushing my teeth even now. 

The riots of 1981! I recall them very well. It was a Saturday night and I was moved from Worksop to Nottingham.  The main focus of the trouble was in the Canning Circus area, where I was. I recall hiding in the door of the Running Horse when a petrol bomb was thrown at us. We had a scare later when the radio said that rioters had got behind us and were heading to Hyson Grren nick on Gregory Boulevard, but there was not that much trouble there. We were afraid that they would come back up Alfreton Road and surround us. That is a bottom twitching moment, especially as the Brixton riots were about the same time. 

• Like 2

It's true, all those years ago, you just turned up at the surgery, sat on a chair and waited your turn. No practice manager, no nurses, health care assistants or receptionist. We were all seen, then the doctor went out on his visits and came back for evening surgery. McGrath wore metal framed spectacles and seemed rather serious. Halley was jollier and in the habit of cadging a tot of whisky when doing his domicillary visits...and yes, he was driving!

Later on, Dr Young acted as locum at the surgery. She was possibly past retirement age. Broad Scots and always accompanied by her white West Highland terrier which sat at her feet in the surgery and jumped on the patient's bed during home visits. Never be allowed today...shame!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to a dentist on Gregory Blvd.can not remember his first name but his last name was James,he was a customer at my fathers garage,it was the first time i had gas you had a choice gas or the needle.His house was on the left hand side just a short way down as you headed towards the forest it was a big house and the front room was converted into the surgery.

There was a Mr James on Gregory Boulevard. His house was later taken over by a group practice. They were my dentists for a while before they sold the practice on. By that time, I had moved away from the area.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember the Mary Potter Health Centre being built. It was quite unusual of its time. As WW says, most GP surgeries were to be found in old Victorian houses and there were a number of them along Gregory Boulevard, including Dr Kelleher whose practice was in a similar house with a blue front door, across the road from Mary Potter. I believe he eventually moved in there.

Our surgery was on the ground floor of a Victorian house near the Le Grand pub on Alfreton Road. Drs Kelly, McGrath and Halley. Irish, every one. Drank like fish and smoked like chimneys. They also had a practice in Bulwell. 

I do remember my Nan taking me to see a kind elderly doctor called Dr, Chisholm on the ground floor of a grand Victorian house not far from the roundabout at Alfreton Road end of Gregory Boulevard.  Nottingham was so advanced for the day with it's ring roads and calling them Boulevards!

I don't recall a Dr Chisholm but he may have been a locum. I was born in 1957 and my mother registered us with Dr Kelly after he was called to attend her when I was born. She needed stitches and her own GP wasn't available. There was only ever one doctor sitting at a time at the practice on Alfreton Road.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Halley was jollier and in the habit of cadging a tot of whisky when doing his domicillary visits...and yes, he was driving!

Did a little research into Dr Halley. He always seemed ancient to me but it seems he was born in 1920 and was only 4 years older than my father.  Apparently, he died at the end of 1976, aged only 56. I'm shocked as I thought he was much older than that. He was Dr Richard Alphonsus Halley. He also had a practice in Bulwell and was the GP for the family of my Manning School friend, Denise Chambers, which is how I know he was in the habit of asking for a tot of whisky on his house calls!

• 2 years later...

I’m very late coming to the party but have only just joined this page.  Jill Sparrow in particular has brought back many memories with her posts.  I lived in Bulwell and remember Dr Halley. His partner in the practice was Dr Bertram who was older and gruffer!   I also went to Manning but my years were 1956 to 1961.

I don't remember a Dr Bertram, Ann, but perhaps he was only at the Bulwell practice. Dr Patrick McGrath was the other doctor at our practice on Alfreton Road. Far more serious than jolly Halley.

Looking forward to reading more of your memories. Several of my Manning friends lived in Bulwell.

It’s probably unlikely that I would know your friends as I’m a few years older than you.  I was very interested in your thoughts on Manning as I was quite happy there for the most part anyway.  I saw a list of teachers and the only name that was familiar was Miss Ramsden (Judith) but most of the others were quite old so maybe had retired before you arrived.  There was a younger one (Miss Nutter) who I recall taught Latin but was useless at discipline and nobody took notice so she didn’t last long.  The headmistress in my time was Miss Leighton who had obviously gone before you arrived.  In my first year we had one of those incredibly long photos taken of the whole school plus teachers but it’s so big there’s no way I could post it on line.  I remember well the lunchtimes we got the bus down to the Locarno, changed out of uniform, had a few dances, another quick change and back to school.  Thank goodness the trolley buses were frequent!

I remember Miss Ramsden. She was one of two games mistresses during my time. Ramsden was far more amenable than Greig. The latter detested me and it was mutual. I understand that Greig eventually became deputy head at Manning. A sure sign things were on the slippery slope when a games teacher rises to that position.

Poor Ramsden was losing her hair by the time I knew her.

The Locarno at lunchtime? You were lucky to get away with that!

I remember that the other games mistress was Mrs Rodgers.  Miss Ramsden played hockey with a team called the Crimson Ramblers who were short of a goalkeeper for one game.  I was in the 5th form and she asked me if I would play (don’t know why as never played goal!).  My lasting memory is of a forward line of big women bearing down on goal!  I don’t remember the score but I’m fairly sure we lost.

Oddly, I don't remember Ramsden ever taking us for hockey. She tried her best to teach me swim at Noel Street Baths but failed miserably. I'm not a water baby.

She also took us for netball. 

I think a number of those panoramic photos were taken over the years.  I remember a photograph album was kept on a shelf over the radiator opposite the stairs in the admin block. I often thought I'd like to have a look at it to see whether I could spot any of my mother's friends who were Manning girls when it was a fairly new school and fees had to be paid for certain items. However, the admin block, near the Dome,  wasn't a place to be loitering about if one had any sense.  I wonder what happened to the album. I hope it wasn't destroyed.

Do you remember Mrs Davy? Laughingly known as a maths teacher? Irish and always dressed in green?  I've seen her on photos which ante-date my time at the school. Spent most of her time throwing missiles and doing Ian Paisley impersonations.