My Birth Grandfather - Harold Selby

Good day,

I am looking for a photograph of my birth grandfather, Harold Selby, 1891-1967.

He worked as a master baker all his working life.

He and my grandmother, Mary Parker, were the parents of my mother, Marjory Selby Parker, 1911-1998.

They were not allowed to marry due to differences in religion.

Harold paid child support for my mother, even after she went to Canada with her grandparents, William and Mary Parker in 1916.

She never saw him again.

I have not been able to find a photograph of him anywhere and if anyone has any suggestions where I could look, please contact me.

Thank you,   Carol Ann Westbrook, Brantford, Ontario, 

Welcome to Nottstalgia Carol Ann.

As you've posted on this forum, I assume your grandfather had a connection with Nottingham. Do you have any information which could help identify a Nottingham connection, such as an address, or school, or where he worked etc ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 2:45 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Welcome to Nottstalgia Carol Ann.

As you've posted on this forum, I assume your grandfather had a connection with Nottingham. Do you have any information which could help identify a Nottingham connection, such as an address, or school, or where he worked etc ?

Hi!

He was a master baker in Nottingham all his life. However, when my mother was born in 1911 to Mary Parker, he was living in Bulwell.   He got married in 1926 to Elizabeth Steer.....they already had two daughters by then.  A son, John, was born in 1936,  All of his children have died. I have been in contact with some of his wife's relatives on ancestry.com, but no one has a picture. 

Carol Ann

He was a master baker in Nottingham all his life.  He was born in Carrington to William Selby and Mary Jane Hodgett. However, when my mother was born in 1911 to Mary Parker, he was living in Bulwell and working  in a bakery.  He got married in 1926 to Elizabeth Steer.....they already had two daughters Elsie Selby Dove, born in 1920   and Edith Selby Ronson, born in 1922.  They were living at 700 Hucknell Road..  A son, John, was born in 1936,  All of his children have died. I have been in contact with some of his wife's relatives on ancestry.com, but no one has a picture.     When he enlisted in WW1, he was in the Machine Gun Corps and lived at 69 Melrose. I was in contact with a grandson, but he did not have  picture......only one of his grandmother.

Carol Ann, you may or may not be aware that 700 Hucknall Road was the old Basford Union Workhouse. It was in use in the 1920s and 30s partially as a hospital for the elderly or what we would now designate dementia patients. My maternal great grandmother died there. Nottingham City Hospital now covers this area but I believe at least part of the original building still survives.

It was known as the infamous and dreaded Bagthorpe, which as was probably intended put the fear of God into most people.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CAROL ANN said:

When he enlisted in WW1, he was in the Machine Gun Corps and lived at 69 Melrose. 

You've missed a word off, but I'm guessing that should be Melrose Street, which is in Sherwood.    https://goo.gl/maps/dC8TuQYEQHUu6Uo86

To link with what you've said previously, Melrose Street is not far from 700 Hucknall Road (the Workhouse).