Views from St Mary's in the Lace Market

This is what you see from the top of the tower of St Mary's Church in the Lace Market

IjlztOj.jpg

The church here is the Pitcher & Piano; and the wrapped-up Castle on the left.

The empty space on the right is the site of Broad Marsh bus station and car park. The purple building is the new Nottingham College; it won't be that colour when it's finished.

3nA5rs1.jpg

Looking towards Sneinton, with the windmill on the right.

• Like 7

Lots of info by google. Short extract here.

The church is mentioned in the Domesday Book[1] and is believed to go back deep into Saxon times. The main body of the present building (at least the third on the site) dates from the end of the reign of Edward III (1377) to that of Henry VII (1485–1509). The nave was finished before 1475 and it is notable for its uniformity of gothic perpendicular style.[4] It is likely that the south aisle wall was the first part of the building to be constructed in the early 1380s, with the remainder of the nave and transepts being from the early 15th century.[5] The tower was completed in the reign of Henry VIII.[6]

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, trogg said:

Great photos Cliff Ton, what year was the Church built as I wonder what the view was like in the third photo when it was built.

Letsavagoo has provided the answer with a few links; and in case you were wondering about the other church (Pitcher & Piano) that was built in the 1870s.

13 hours ago, Beekay said:

Cracking pix CT. Are they your own?

Yes, all mine, and not even a proper camera; just a phone.

• Like 3

Excellent photos Cliff Ton. Amazing that these were taken with a phone. 

There is someone I follow on YouTube and a recent video they uploaded was superb quality, so much so I messaged them what camera they used. My son is a professional videographer so I’m interested in the geeky technicalities. I was amazed when he said he was using his phone.

I think it's partly down to that thing about how quickly technology advances. The camera on my phone is probably higher spec than the best professional top-end camera of only a few years ago.

And the oft-mentioned fact that the computer power in an average smart phone is greater than everything used on the Apollo missions.

I hope there's more to 'religion'  than whether the old pews are still in the church building!  

'The church' is actually the  people - the body of Christians, with Jesus Christ as their head...

I think older church buildings are often interesting places where one can admire the architecture etc but they are NOT the actual church...   that is a much deeper thing.

We don't have most of the pews in our building anymore and it gives us much more freedom to use the building for other groups and activities for the village community.as well as for worship services on a Sunday.   Lovely.....

• Like 1
12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Our village church has had a bar type counter installed for post service refreshments 

My father used to say he might start going to church if there was a bar!  He should have tarried a while longer!

Sadly, if it wasn't for your captions I wouldn't know what I was looking at. 

I don't recognise Nottingham anymore.

Haven't set foot in the place for 15/18 years.

Over time, successive 'I'm in charge merchants' have systematically ripped the heart and soul out of what was once a great place.

Nottingham has always had strong historical connections: all three English civil wars kicked off in Nottingham. We can rival York for the Vikings. Isabella - Mortimer - Edward II plus Edward III. King John. How many Nottingham children are taught any of this?

Mathilda and Stephen had a tiff. Mathilda stayed in Nottingham Castle. One of Stephens men tried to take the castle, failed, sacked Nottingham. Burnt down the churches with all those seeking refuge still inside. This being the fate of the first St Mary's.

Did you take any photographs of the stained glass windows?

21 minutes ago, Dark Angel said:

Nottingham has always had strong historical connections: all three English civil wars kicked off in Nottingham. We can rival York for the Vikings. Isabella - Mortimer - Edward II plus Edward III. King John. How many Nottingham children are taught any of this?

How many children anywhere in the UK are taught about such historical events? Apparently, many under 30s have never heard of Winston Churchill and when I mentioned Agincourt to a 25 year old recently, they asked what I was talking about.

That's how I know I'm getting old. No one knows what I'm talking about!