Little old lady...

Here's an image of Queen Victoria all spruced up and looking just great again but it wasn't so long ago that she was looking neglected and a little worse for wear, but thanks to our city council she is back to how my mum remembers her.

Last Sunday I took me mum out for a chinese,'she likes chinese food! I told her that after we had eaten I was going to take her down to the Victoria Embankment to have a look around the Memorial Gardens now that they have been smartened up a bit, it was there she told me that when she and my dad were seeing each other back in the 1930s [courting]they would meet under the Little old lady statue. I quizzed me mum to what she had meant when she had said, Little old lady statue, she said, 'her over there, her there pointing to the refurbished statue of Victoria, in me mums day Victoria stood at the bottom of Market street......thanks mum for that little bit of nottstalgia... :Kiss:

post-30-1154032955_thumb.jpg

The statue was moved to the Embankment in 1953.

Only reason I know is that an Uncle & Aunt took me to see the lifting of the statue for an "11th birthday treat".

Gee, thanks.....

The old gel certainly looks better than the last time I saw her, about 3 years ago.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 months later...