Hiya LL., if memory serves me correctly, the program used to be on in the late 50s into early 60s. A lot of it was about WW2, which ironically  only finished 12 - 15 years earlier. Remember an old boy who were a mate of my dads, who when he'd  had a few would always " Bin watchin' all our yesterdays, so there !! Never did understand what he was on about.

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week I went back to Doncaster for the first time since I moved back to Nottingham. I must admit I had been putting it off, didn’t know how I would react to be honest and wondered if it might make

Life does move on regardless of our memories. I must admit I found the area a bit shabby, not that where I am now is posh or anything, I suppose living there you just don’t notice it. It was a (large)

When I started this thread I didn’t really expect to get many other posts, but in true Nottstalgia style it went from visiting old homes to sculleries, people climbing down drainpipes to free meals at

43 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Anybody remember Up until I  were about 11, often used to climb out the bedroom window and scramble down the drainpipe.

Last did that when i was about  32,,,...........lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I can remember my nana’s scullery with the copper and large sink. My nana used to stand on a stool to push clothes down into the copper with a stick. We were not allowed to go in, she said it was too dangerous which of course made me more curious about it. Wash day was Monday, loved the smell of the soap she used, think it used to be a large green bar.

There was also a “best” room with a piano in which was never used except for my aunts piano practice and I think my granddad was laid out there before his funeral. I only ever got in there once by illicit means so I could plonk the piano, I was quickly ushered out and the door was firmly shut behind us.

The room from the kitchen was the main one used, it had a range (nana used to make the best fruit bread in the world in it) with horse brasses hanging on the leather straps. I used to hate having to help clean them they were so intricate. Best bit was toasting bread in front of the open fire on one of the long fork things trying not to drop it or burn yourself on the kettle which always seemed to be on the hob.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, katyjay said:

All Our Yesterdays ran from 1960-1973. It would show old newsreels from that week, but 25 years ago.

Presented by Brian Inglis.

Used to really like watching that as a lad, but never understood at the time why my dad didn’t want to watch it with me. I later realised that 1939-1945 was six years of his life he preferred to forget.

36 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

loved the smell of the soap she used, think it used to be a large green bar.

Fairy soap? Mum used it and also Sunlight soap, which was yellow. Both to be found on the bottom pantry shelf along with baby clinic concentrated orange juice with cork stoppers!

• Like 1

Fairy and Sunlight soap ,both came in twin packs and were about 1/6,,,,,,,,,,early 60s think everyone bought one or the other,,,,remember Mam scrubbing my shirt collars with bar of Fairy............think Sunlight soap came from Port Sunlight on Merseyside,,, worked there a bit..........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ah yes Carbolic our Jill..........twas Red,,and came in a twin pack ,again about 1/6,,,,1960,,,

Used to have a laugh at Marsdens,,,,,with Soap names.........especially with any girl called Olive.......,,won't go into detail..........but the joke ended with the name of the Carbolic soap.......Lifebouy..........ok, well i was only 15 and found it funny..........

Pears soap was nice,,a bit more expensive than other toilet soaps,,,remember had a picture of a young Lady on it,,,and it was 'Dimpled'............

30 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Fairy and Sunlight soap ,both came in twin packs and were about 1/6,,,,,,,,,,early 60s think everyone bought one or the other,,,,remember Mam scrubbing my shirt collars with bar of Fairy............think Sunlight soap came from Port Sunlight on Merseyside,,, worked there a bit..........

Your right about the household soaps came from Port Sunlight, courtesy of Lever bros. Levers were based at Ellesmere port. SPD who i drove for were their transport subsidiary.  The soaps were delivered to your shop in about 48lb boxes, even remember the box codes HB, HD etc. I just know they were bl***y heavy to cart about. They used to come in long blocks and one could either cut off a slice or grate flakes for washing. I've  an idea that Pears soap was part of Cheeseborough Ponds, ( used to go down and xray the employees, when I  worked for coal board medical services). Always said I  probably delivered to your shop Ben.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Barrie,,,,yes all (most) the soap powders were either Lever bros or Proctor and Gamble,,............crikey thats a name i'd forgot Cheeseborough Ponds,,,posher products,,,unilevers?

42 minutes ago, annswabey said:

We had Fairy Soap and Lifebuoy.  My Mum entered me for the Miss Pears Competition - I didn't win!

My niece entered HERSELF into the Jnr Miss Pears competition and won!  She, her parents and brother had an all expenses paid  trip to DisneyWorld Florida.  This was getting on for 40 years ago. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Beekay said:

. Up until I  were about 11, often used to climb out the bedroom window and scramble down the drainpipe.

This reminded me of our youngest son who was always a nightmare kid.  One afternoon he’d been particularly naughty so he was ‘grounded’ and sent to his bedroom.  We never gave him a thought, left him to fester and think about his bad ways.  Several hours later he walked in the back door as if nothing had happened.  Turned out he’d climbed out of his bedroom window and gone out to meet his mates. There was never a dull moment with him. One morning when he was about 17 he and I had a barney over breakfast. He stormed out, in school uniform, and disappeared. He didn’t go to school. We searched all over the town. That particular evening he always worked at a Chinese Restaurant and his Housemaster decided to go in and he found him there working, talked him round and persuaded him to come home.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's where he got his liking for takeaways was it Lizzie ?

• Upvote 1

It was a Monday Night Eat All You Can thing at the Chinese. A lot of his friends went in on those nights, don’t think the restauranteur made any profit on a Monday, I suspect there were a lot of freebies, he never got the sack though and he still sees, and is friends with, the owner.   

• Upvote 1

When I started this thread I didn’t really expect to get many other posts, but in true Nottstalgia style it went from visiting old homes to sculleries, people climbing down drainpipes to free meals at Chinese Takeaways and all things in between. True Nottstalgia posts, I do love this sitesmile2

• Like 7

Talking about people shinning down drainpipes. My mum was a nurse and worked at the TB sanitarium where she met my dad. The staff were not allowed to fraternise (what a lovely word) with the patients but my mum was seeing my dad without anyone in authority knowing. She lived in the nurses home and used to climb down the drainpipe so she could meet him. From what she said it was a much used exit from the nurses home. Not sure if she had to climb back up to get in, but I presume so. I was amazed when she told me couldn’t imagine my mum doing that, after all she was my mum. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I checked out 'All Our Yesterdays' last night.on YouTube.  I don't think it was the original program.  There were only two or three episodes and they mostly dealt with what was on ITV in the 60s.  Interesting, but not AOY as I remember it.  Maybe someone else can find it?