• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week I went back to Doncaster for the first time since I moved back to Nottingham. I must admit I had been putting it off, didn’t know how I would react to be honest and wondered if it might make

Life does move on regardless of our memories. I must admit I found the area a bit shabby, not that where I am now is posh or anything, I suppose living there you just don’t notice it. It was a (large)

When I started this thread I didn’t really expect to get many other posts, but in true Nottstalgia style it went from visiting old homes to sculleries, people climbing down drainpipes to free meals at

LL, I  too had a look on YouTube and agree with you that they weren't  the same programs I  remember. I posted a photo of me and my dad on a darts outing when I  was 16/17ish. It was his mate who was always quoting A.O.Y, so it must have been about 1959/60. Did see an interesting clip on YT about life in the 60s, although some of the pictures looked to be from 50s. Also watched 60s Blackpool, fascinating !!

• Like 1

My paternal granny lived at 44 Occupation Road, Hucknall. She had a scullery and a wash-house (with a large brick-clad copper). It did have a flush toilet at the end of the 'garden' and it had gas (but no electricity). 

All lighting was gas. Cooking was either by a very primitive gas cooker in the scullery or on a coal or wood fired range in the 'living room'. The 'front room' was reserved for Sundays only and where there was a piano and a gramophone. It smelled very strange in the front room. I think there must have been a very slight gas leak as the gas meter was in there.

Oddly, even though there was no mains electricity, the house had Rediffusion which was a speaker box with a switch dial that could (as if by magic) receive all sorts of wireless programmes by just rolling the switch. 

Looking at Google maps, No 44 looks much the same now as I remember it.

Edit: Despite the primitive and cramped conditions my granny managed to bring up Ginnie, Barbara, George, Dorothy, Ann (Nancy), Doris, Ernest, Fred, Jack and Harry. There was no NHS in those days!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Would that have been Newstead Sanatorium ?

Yes that was it. She had quite a few stories about what went on there. You had to catch her in the right mood before she would tell you. It always seemed strange to listen to them, I suppose you don’t think about your parents doing anything before you were born or that they were once young. It made me see where some of my antics came from (getting into the back of the Albert Hall and meeting the Rolling Stones and climbing over the railings at the back of the De Montfort Hall in Leicester to be chased by security and running into Mick Jagger literally etc.) It must be in our genes!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, katyjay said:

I think they briefly brought back the program around 1983.

Long after my exit from the motherland.    Wish the original series had been on YT though.  There is quite a lot of good nostalgia.  I've enjoyed the 'Look at Life'   films.  They used to be shown for a few minutes before the main feature in quite a few cinemas.  Quite a bit on the mods and rockers and other 50s and 60s stuff.