• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a tit bit for you...nearly opposite the bottom of Hanley Street is Poynton Street...still there, but just a jitty through warehouses now. It's named after Widow Poynton who was a scold and suf

Yes my Dad worked in the office there. When my mum took me shopping in the Co-op we would shout to Him and He looked out of the window and waved to us. Magic time as I didn't see a lot of Him due to t

For anyone who hasn't been in the area recently, the part of Wollaton Street - where it adjoins Talbot Street - has changed. It used to look like this... And currently looks like this.

Posted Images

95 Talbot Street was built in 1902 as a Livery Stables designed by Hedley J Price Architect and Surveyor, based in Nottingham.

Approval was given to demolish the existing building and construct a new mixed-use scheme of 24 one- and two-bedroom apartments with A1/A2/A3 commercial units to the ground and lower ground floors

from below

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/57463-comehomes-plans-multimillion-pound-student-digs

• Upvote 1

This part of Nottingham needs a lot of imagination to realise what it looked like hundreds of years ago...that church in Cliff tons' picture was St.Mathews built in the 1860s now long gone.You can see how it is built on top of what was a sandstone bluff much higher than the level of Wollaton Street.

Derby road that runs parallel was an ancient track that had cut it's way into the sandstone over more than a thousand years.There were many caves carved out of the cliffs either side of the road.Lord Middleton financed the levelling of the whole area in 1740...thousands of tons of sandstone were moved,much of it being laid in the old road...and although still steep the hill was made easier for horse drawn traffic.There was a toll bar across the road at the bottom of Derby Road until the mid 1800s

Wollaton street was cut out of the bluff at a higher level and made a slightly less steep route into the town.The edge of the excavation can be seen in this picture by the huge sandstone walls built to retain parts of the cutting.The buildings and church on Talbot Street (and more modern buildings) being some twenty feet higher than the level of Wollaton Street.The red garages higher up are carved out of the solid rock.

Other clues to the original height of the sandstone cutting that was the original Derby Road can be found by the room carved out of the rock in the Hand and Heart Pub.Further up the road on the same side used to be Masons the butchers where I worked for a while...the back room and walk in fridge there were built into the sandstone.

5a7f9978.jpg

Down the bottom of Wollaton Street opposite Hanley Street was Mill Street later renamed Bow street...this is now under the Co.op building (as was)...Just before the skip in this picture.

c6d34880.jpg

I wonder how many realise how famous this old street was? In this picture you can see some arches in the brickwork of the first building...This was the mill built for James Hargreaves in 1767 the inventor of the Spinning Jenny, and was the first cotton mill IN THE WORLD....right at the start of the industrial revolution.There was a plaque on the wall announcing this fact for many years...I wonder what happened to that when they built the Co op on top of it?

931e5dea.jpg

The Spinning Jenny...

e3e9966f.jpg

• Upvote 1

To add to Poohbear's comments, and referring to his first photo of Wollaton Street (with the sandstone wall).........

this is a photo from about a year ago, and shows what you get at the top of that wall if you go round to the Talbot Street side of things. These are obviously the remains of St Matthew's Church, and can just be seen in the right-hand edge of Poohbear's photo

church-3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Other clues to the original height of the sandstone cutting that was the original Derby Road can be found by the room carved out of the rock in the Hand and Heart Pub.Further up the road on the same side used to be Masons the butchers where I worked for a while...the back room and walk in fridge there were built into the sandstone.

All fascinating stuff.

In addition, there are some interesting caves as features in rear of the Hawksley's pub just up from the Hand and Heart - worth a view.

Anybody remember Pope & Parrs the glass merchants on Talbot Street more or less opposite where the church was? The days when as a kid I was glazing an aquarium.

That was the earliest memory I have of metric measurements...glass was always measured in millimetres.There was a brass measure in metric on the front of the counter so that the peasants like me could convert their measurements from feet and inches.

I must get back to drawing / etching, re: *charcoal drawing @ #32.

You begin with a virgin sheet of paper and a tool, then gradually develop into a creation. :)

* it's the old drawings that inspire me.

Agreed. This is the view from that first post from a slightly different angle. Seeing this entrance makes it more obvious that it was a livery stable as mentioned earlier

https://maps.google....66.93,,0,-2.83

Oi!! Somebody's nicked Hanley Street .....................................

I've posted this before somewhere, but a few years ago I went into town with my brothers to eat at the old Co-op. I drove from Bulwell and followed directions to the Forest and up and over the streets to Chaucer St, and then we parked in a multi-storey car park. We walked down a street and went to the front of the Co-op to eat. Coming back to the car park, I noticed the street name, Hanley Street. Talk about gobsmacked! I had walked down it and never recognised it one little bit, and if I hadn't of seen the sign I would not have known I was on it. I used to catch my #22 bus from there in my youth.

In Memorium:

"Knock 'em down, replace 'em with a Skills Booking Office and a Car Park; that's the spirit lad!"

And such was the fate of the splendid specimen of architecture that was, of the Almhouses on Hanley Street.