Here's a tit bit for you...nearly opposite the bottom of Hanley Street is Poynton Street...still there, but just a jitty through warehouses now. It's named after Widow Poynton who was a scold and suffered treatment in the towns ducking stool for being a gossip.A strange way to become famous and have a street named after you...she must have had a helluva gob.

duckingstool.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a tit bit for you...nearly opposite the bottom of Hanley Street is Poynton Street...still there, but just a jitty through warehouses now. It's named after Widow Poynton who was a scold and suf

Yes my Dad worked in the office there. When my mum took me shopping in the Co-op we would shout to Him and He looked out of the window and waved to us. Magic time as I didn't see a lot of Him due to t

For anyone who hasn't been in the area recently, the part of Wollaton Street - where it adjoins Talbot Street - has changed. It used to look like this... And currently looks like this.

Posted Images

I think discussed b4, but isnt the premises on the right an Electric substation?

Yes my Dad worked in the office there. When my mum took me shopping in the Co-op we would shout to Him and He looked out of the window and waved to us. Magic time as I didn't see a lot of Him due to the shifts he worked.At weekends worked with his brother for Jacklin (?) removals..

• Upvote 1

Title of thread is Talbot Street...we're just taking a walk and remembering bits and pieces we remember of the area. All too often threads are of the popular places like The Square,Goose Fair,Trent Bridge.....when there are a million other memories of buildings,roads, and people long gone.And rarely written about.

The Lambert Factory on Talbot Street....easily recognisable to any Nottingham folk.Built in 1856,a striking looking building that nowadays would be a square box with windows.

Now converted to offices...the whole front facade collapsed into the street in the nineties.Planning refused a demolition application and made the builders reconstruct back to the original...except the curved corner which is new.

This part originally was a roller skating rink in the 1870s.(See my pic on post #47 as it was) The collapse was due to interior support walls being removed weakening the outside structure (mmmmm! yeah right!) I happened to be up in that clock tower a few hours before it collapsed and commented to my mate on the state of the sandstone blocks, which were severely weathered many held together with steel pins...it didn't look good to me but then I'm no builder/architect...The shock to see it collapsed in the street a few hours after my visit left me in a cold sweat.

e0de8609.jpg

Talking of Talbot Street & Lambert's factory, my missus (when she was a young lass ) in 1964, noticed a fire in that factory on her way to "Brownies" one night.

Her & her cousin ran up to Canning Circus & saw a Copper& told him what they had seen.

Here's the clip from the Nottm Evening Post a few days later.

img016.jpg

My Missus on the left BTW.

• 2 years later...

The electricity board place on Talbot street was our base when I first worked for them in 1966. I don't think any power generation was done there at that time. A large chunk of it was a garage where EMEB vehicles were repaired and serviced. The part near Hanley street was a stores and offices. Behind that a workshop where cookers and other appliances were serviced and reconditioned. Also a meter shop back there. We all moved out to Bilboro by 1967.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think it as ever been a Chinese Restaurant. Back in the 70's it was a hardware store, can't remember the name at the moment. It also became Ben Bowers Restaurant back in the 70/80's

#68. If that is true, CT, then bet it was for the horses that pulled the trams up Derby Road.

I don't think it as ever been a Chinese Restaurant. Back in the 70's it was a hardware store, can't remember the name at the moment. It also became Ben Bowers Restaurant back in the 70/80's

Not Ben Bowers. That was on the next junction across towards Derby Road. That building is currently empty.

Two very similar looking buildings almost side by side. https://goo.gl/maps/qZbRJ

#68. If that is true, CT, then bet it was for the horses that pulled the trams up Derby Road.

Cock horses. Which isn't being rude. If it was their stables, this is nearby, half way up Derby Road outside the Hand and Heart.

cock%20horse.jpg

And look at the advert on the front of the tram.

compo.jpg