• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a tit bit for you...nearly opposite the bottom of Hanley Street is Poynton Street...still there, but just a jitty through warehouses now. It's named after Widow Poynton who was a scold and suf

Yes my Dad worked in the office there. When my mum took me shopping in the Co-op we would shout to Him and He looked out of the window and waved to us. Magic time as I didn't see a lot of Him due to t

For anyone who hasn't been in the area recently, the part of Wollaton Street - where it adjoins Talbot Street - has changed. It used to look like this... And currently looks like this.

Posted Images

As usual Cliff Ton you are correct, it is on the other corner as you said. Good job you are around.

The hardware store you refer to on the Derby Road corner was 'Halls' for a few years in the 60/70s....I worked opposite at the time at Masons the butchers.When built it was originally a post office.....The building referred to here on Talbot Street originally manufactured lightweight traps and horse drawn carts.

True !

The building which has been demolished was built in 1902. It was next to an older building with a bay window which had decent views for the first 30+ years of its life. Then somebody stuck a wall right next to it, and you had this.

talbot_3.jpg

I don't think you'd get away with it today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

At post 38, there is a bright coloured building in the centre, it has an end bay window. That's the remaining West end of Belmont Terrace, most was demolished in late 1968/ early 1969. Does anyone know what date that photo is? or when the building was finally demolished ?

Regards, terry.

Thanks Cliff ton, the picture looked like it was about to be demolished. I just looked on streetview and there it is, incredible.! Belmont Terrace was from 104 Talbot Street to 116. I was sent a photo dated January  1969 of those buildings saying it was the  Dakins fire. I knew it wasn't, hence my interest. ( Dakins was the next buildings to the East) I eventually discovered it  was Belmont Terrace, which was ,at that time, mostly demolished apart from the last house , 116, which , for some reason, has survived.

Another  mystery solved , excellent.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Just been reading this thread  The Chinese restraurant you all mention was it called "The Amory "not sure of the spelling.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks DJ360 

I knew the post is Talbot St but the Amoy was in fact on Derby Rd,