• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm giving a like to everyone who posted. Me , I don't like the biscuits here in Italy they all seem to have a slight variation on the same taste. I make my own , prepare the dough, roll it into balls

The ultimate dunking biscuit is a ginger nut. Anyone who says differently is a heretic

We do Margie. Very ettikety in our house. In fact Granddaughter made us a 'Coffee Cake' today, to welcome us back from our hols and we had to use our little cake forks with one fat prong and  one two fin uns, because the cake was so moist it just fell apart. :biggrin:

• Like 2

We've  got some of those forks Carni, often wondered what they were for. I thought they were for winkels, ordigging out pickled onions. 

Sounds a lovely squishy cake Carni.   Hope you enjoyed your holiday.   We've only had 7 nights away from home this year and we REALLY need another break.   That's why we're coming to Nottingham on 5 October and staying until 9 October....   

l

Twas Delicious, she got the recipe off the internet, I think it could be used for a 'Coffee/Walnut recipe as well, she hadn't got any walnuts so she put Chocolate Rolos on top instead.

Beekay, I'm sure you could use them for stabbin' your pickled onions, but the fat prong might just get stuck in yer 'Winkles' .

I haven't had any decent 'Potted Meat' for years, I could just eat a nice crusty cob thick with 'Lurpack and Potted Meat' Cor, You set me longing now!

It's the only way to eat Squishy cake or gateau. Another competition is to eat a jammy doughnut without licking your lips ! (using your fingers, of course). Just think of the lovely squidge when eating a chocolate éclair.smile2

Don't think even I would use a fork to eat an eclair (a roll shaped one) although the little round ones served as a dessert are another matter because they are drizzled with chocolate and are in a bowl anyway!

• Upvote 1

I'm giving a like to everyone who posted. Me , I don't like the biscuits here in Italy they all seem to have a slight variation on the same taste. I make my own , prepare the dough, roll it into balls and freeze. When needed in the case of unexpected visitors when of course you have nothing to offer them, I whip a tray full out and bake them. By the time the tea is made they are ready and are delicious slightly warm. 

I make lots of different ones but my favourite  is the white chocolate and mango biscuit one very similar to Border biscuits.

Katy I found a recipe for hobnobs , they are as near to the real thing as you can get.

Try to cut down when I have a coffee but sorry home made is always best. I end up eating far too many !!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Don't think even I would use a fork to eat an eclair (a roll shaped one) although the little round ones served as a dessert are another matter because they are drizzled with chocolate and are in a bowl anyway!

The round ones are profiteroles Margie. Eclairs are like scrummy ceegars !

When it was your Birthday you brought biscuits at Imperial for the tea bar, that's when the snob factor kicked in, that's also when I found out M&S sold food, I thought it was just sold under crackers, on my Birthday I always went out & brought the cheapest, nastiest biscuits I could find, Malted Milk, Ginger Nuts & Custard Creams & left a note on them Radford Biscuits.

All this talk of Biscuits.......got me thinking,,where did Marsdens get their Biscuits from,,,,and it came to me,,,all the loose biscuits we sold from big tins with glass lid,,were from a company called Middlemass,,it was on all the tins,,,

Just looked em up,,,they were a Scottish company and went out of business in 1956,,,,i started with Marsdens in 1960,and we still used the tins with Middlemass name on,,,...........thought you would all want to know that........lol

• Like 1

Used to get our biscuits as a nipper, from Home and Colonial, top of Boden st., on Alfreton road. Used to serve em in a brown paper bag. That was when Dad could afford them.

Biscuits on the Woolworth biscuit counter were in similar metal tins with glass lids, Ben. There was a name embossed into the side of the metal tin but it wasn't Middlemass. It was shorter, F W W I think. Biscuits themselves were in cardboard boxes under the counter, ready for filling the metal tins! I always took a special interest in that biscuit counter. Wanted to work there when I grew up!