Just remembered something from a while back. We have a friend who used to work for Nurdin and Peacock. In the 70's I think, there was a tin of Huntley and Palmers biscuits, with a Victorian scene of tea in the garden. All looks very innocent to start with, but the illustrator did some naughty things to the scene, like a naked couple having sex in the bushes, and 2 dogs mating in another bush.  A shopkeeper noticed the tin and they were recalled. Our friend nabbed a tin before them going back to H & P. If you google the tin you can see for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm giving a like to everyone who posted. Me , I don't like the biscuits here in Italy they all seem to have a slight variation on the same taste. I make my own , prepare the dough, roll it into balls

The ultimate dunking biscuit is a ginger nut. Anyone who says differently is a heretic

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

All this talk of Biscuits.......got me thinking,,where did Marsdens get their Biscuits from,,,,and it came to me,,,all the loose biscuits we sold from big tins with glass lid,,were from a company called Middlemass,,it was on all the tins,,,

Just looked em up,,,they were a Scottish company and went out of business in 1956,,,,i started with Marsdens in 1960,and we still used the tins with Middlemass name on,,,...........thought you would all want to know that........lol

You mean to say we ate stale biscuits when we were small.

Oh come on for goodness sake ! You hold the icing bit and dunk the rest ! LOL  It's so simple !

57 minutes ago, mercurydancer said:

The ultimate dunking biscuit is a ginger nut. Anyone who says differently is a heretic

Ginger biscuits... GARRR get thee behind me Satans spawn and bow before the one true dunking biscuit - Rich Tea

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Oh come on for goodness sake ! You hold the icing bit and dunk the rest ! LOL  It's so simple !

Yeah ! Then break yer bloody teeth on the concrete ice.

Brew, what abaht a digestive? Dunk that and yerve got soggy cardboard, lovely.

• Like 1

No, the digestive is fine, it's the Rich Tea that instantly becomes a mush.

3 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

No, the digestive is fine, it's the Rich Tea that instantly becomes a mush.

Ah the cry of the dreaded slow dunker.... Digestive mmm well down the list after Arrowroots, Shortbread and the king of them all Rich Tea...

Just a couple of comments re biscuits.

Did you know that most of the decorated biscuits tins were made in Nottinghamshire by Metal Box Co of the Valley in Mansfield.

How many of you have tried the great Aussie tradition of the  TIM TAM Slam? The Tim Tam is a chocolate covered biscuit that is similar to a Penguin biscuit. It has two layers of biscuit separated by a cream like filling and covered in chocolate. You dunk them in your coffee and suck the coffee up through the biscuit filling.

• Like 1

Remember Marie biscuits? They looked just like Rich Tea but were totally hopeless for dunking. They remained hard and tough for just about any length of time they were dunked until they completely fell apart either in the cup or, more often, on the way to your mouth. The best ones for dunking, in my view, were Burton's Morning Coffee (rectangular with an embossed top), Lincoln (with  knobbly top) and ginger nuts.

I find the thought of dunking choclate, or cream filled, biscuits quite repulsive. Not so much the biscuit but battling though the layer of fat which inevitably floats on the top of the drink.

I like em'. Wafers, I  wouldn't  give 'em houseroom. Although my old pal used to dunk the pink wafers.

49 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Is there anyone out there who actually likes them,

I do, no better biscuit for dunking.

The worst thing about those biscuits that disintegrate when they are dunked is having half a gloopy biscuit in the bottom of your tea or coffee.

I don't like wafers, even when they're covered in chocolate. They're just an excuse for a biscuit, although Woolworth sold them loose from the blessed biscuit counter when I was little. We never bought any though.  I used to like Cadburys Snack biscuits, which were approximately the same size and shape as the caramel covered shortbread sold by Woolworths but chocolate covered instead.

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Ginger biscuits, horrible things.  Is there anyone out there who actually likes them, above all the Chocolate suggestives and chocolate wafers?

Food of the gods. I work in a country house hotel now, and my morning duty is to look after an outdoor picnic area, not that it is busy in September! But it has some lovely cabins and I get a coffee and my ginger nuts and look over the South Durham countryside. No other biscuit can match it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

I get a coffee and my ginger nuts and look over the South Durham countryside.

You need to come home MD, the North has turned your brain!

Ok, How about "Boudoir" biscuits real teeth tinglers with the sugar coating if eaten straight from the packet. (Probably why they are thrown into trifles) and those Oreo's, not a fan.

Just off to dunk a Bourbon into coffee.  Do Jacobs Cream Crackers count as a biscuit?   

Had a mate who brought back some Cuttle fish biscuits from Thailand.  Instantly absorbed all the fluids in your mouth.  Worse than Ginger biscuits.