Hockley Over The Years

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is.  Take it away, Ben!     His name was Ben - Oh! He was a grocer. He'd slice your bacon with a squeeze. Slap and tickle with your cheese! "Let's see your h

The view in 1970 from Cranbrook House which was built on the site of a 15th century burial ground.   

Photos of Hockley over the years on Post website.   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/38-pictures-looking-back-hockley-3364947

Some good photos in there, including a lot of shop names no longer around.

Several years ago in the NS thread about Gee Dees Model Shop, I said I remembered them being at the lower end of Hockley, but no-one else could remember it. Finally a photo to prove it.

Zy9jzyx.jpg

• Like 1

I've only quickly browsed through the pics, and couldn't see the long gone pub, Jallands. It was just up from Burtons. When I first went in in the very early 60's, they still put sawdust on the floor. They were also the only pub in Nottingham to sell draught Guinness ! 

• 5 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 10:28 AM, FLY2 said:

I've only quickly browsed through the pics, and couldn't see the long gone pub, Jallands. It was just up from Burtons. When I first went in in the very early 60's, they still put sawdust on the floor. They were also the only pub in Nottingham to sell draught Guinness ! 

I can remember Jallands it had a long passage, 

I remember going upstairs in a large gents outfitters at the bottom of Hockley to reach a barber shop that had moved from a Clumber St. This would be in the early 60’s. They gave you a scalp massage where you had to hold an electrode!

Whereabouts was Jallands? Roughly facing what became Carlsboro? 

This is way before my time..

Mentioned it to dad over the phone this evening, his first recall 'did cracking cheese & onion cob's! This would have been about 1956, a very narrow place, had a sign inside stating Jallands..& before Hockley became separated. Would that be the bowling alley 'cut through '.?

I remember Emanuel House..I have been informed that was formally Burton's, think I have a minor recollection of 'Woolworths across the road..wasn't there also a menwear shop on the corner of Hockley/Southwell Rd well into the 1980's.

Thats correct Den,,,and on the next corner going back towards town,,was a Marsdens with a rounded shop front,very distinctive (surprised cliff ton not shown a photo of it...knock knock...please Kev).....i remember this branch very well,for a couple of reasons,,1/  i closed the store one sat morning in 1965 for 5 or 10 minutes for Winston Churchill's funeral,,.......2/  Wally Swifts Mam used to shop there............EDIT.......Always bought a shirt from Price and Beal,,anytime i worked near one of their stores.

HSR, Jallands was the building with thick heavy looking window mullions on the north side of "Hockley" between Heathcote st and Brightmoor st facing Timothy Whites. (Big 1st floor windows).

Hockley was actually the bit of road from Woolworths to Parliament st. This Hockley was cut off when Belward street (back of the ice stadium) and Cranbrook street sliced through the old Carlton street/Goose gate/Hockley area which together were colloquially called Hockley.

HSR, Hockley is actually two things, an area and a road. If you google Hockley it will show the area on the current map, basically the area between Hockley/Goosegate/Carlton St and Lower Parliament St. Hockley the road is the bit between Cranbrook St and Lower Parliament St. Hope that helps.

Bit I mentioned earlier about outfitters Harrisons on Hockley, I realise that was probably earlier than the outfitters referred to, although this later one was next to Woolies.

• Like 1

Pre 1840 Hockley is Hockley to me..thought we were trying to locate a pub...Jallands? Reason I showed interest two buildings on the corner facing right of what was Carlsboro still survive I think..and old...think one was an independent printers in the late eighties.

When I get the chance I will go over Google earth with the old man to find the pub....thought it may have been in the same row..