Have you been in a police station ?

Been down St Ann’s Police Station this morning to give a statement about an event I witnessed last night.  A policeman rang me at midnight wanting my statement, a bit inconvenient as I was just going to bed.   Got that out of the way then headed off to a dental appointment in Wollaton this afternoon. What a drag that was, took twice as long, both ways, due to all the Goose Fair rides arriving along Gregory Boulevard, it was gridlock. Where do all those hundreds of cars park for 2 weeks when they normally use the Forest Park & Ride?  I won’t be driving along there again until the Fair has packed up.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Been down St Ann’s Police Station this morning to give a statement about an event I witnessed last night.  A policeman rang me at midnight wanting my statement, a bit inconvenient as I was just going to bed.   

I recently handed some dash cam video to the police. I’d driven down a road about an hour before a car crashed into the Trent and the driver killed. They made an appeal for any dash cam footage as they can access the road conditions which were very wet at the time.

I was quite surprised that the statement required from me (just saying when & where it was etc) was done on a laptop and I signed the touch screen. Not a sheet of paper in sight. In my time I must have got through an entire rain forest or two worth of paper.

• Upvote 1

So does that mean the police have now got your fingerprint on record - I don't understand much of this technology but is that possible?

No. They won’t have your fingerprints from signing a statement. I signed the screen with a pen like stylus. It was kept in a built in holder in the laptop base. The ‘electronic’ ink was so thick it my signature was just a smudge.

2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

No. They won’t have your fingerprints from signing a statement. I signed the screen with a pen like stylus. It was kept in a built in holder in the laptop base.

I’m pretty sure I signed with my finger ....... it was only yesterday and can’t be 100% certain!  

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I’m pretty sure I signed with my finger ....... it was only yesterday and can’t be 100% certain!  

It is just a pressure sensitive screen. Won’t record your prints. 

• Upvote 1

It's not a pleasant experience, is it Lizzie?  I once went to Worksop Police Station for a meeting. I worked for Notts County Council at the time and the meeting was work related. I've mentioned before the stench of the toilets which could be whiffed before the police station came into view!

This was the first and only time I've ever been in a police station. Sadly, before I left 3 hours later, I was desperate for the loo, so had to visit the source of the stench. Simply couldn't have driven back to Mansfield without going. I was accompanied by a male police officer who stood outside and guarded the door! Felt like a criminal and was mortified.

The meeting was the first of many but the police decided Notts CC offices in Mansfield were more salubrious than their station, so they came to us!

I was interviewed twice about the pretty Windows murder and to be honest it was all pretty relaxed. The thing that puzzled me was the policeman had to write it down, I wasn't allowed, and when I pointed out inconsistences with what he had written and what I had said. He told me it didn't matter they had the 'gist' of it..

I've been in three police stations in England (Hucknall when it was at the bottom of Duke Street, Ashford in Kent and Haslemere in Surrey) but never ventured further than the front desk. Even so, the prevailing stench of extremely stale urine and fag/cigar smoke stays with me forever.

Think iv'e spent time (time lol)...in every Police station in  Nottingham and surrounding areas,,,and several other Cities.............actually got robbed in the one in Walsall,,,.........also been in a few Prisons......:ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Think i might have been in two Police Stations...

Brother was arrested for abusing a telephone box..setting fire to a aerosol can in the lace market

Mum wasn't too happy, being roughly 7 i found it fascinating and enjoyed greeting my older brother after a night in the cells!

I think this Police Station was on or near Shakespeare St..I know there was a fire station there..but also a Police Station?

This was roughly 1970.

Only other visit was the former police station/shed on Bath St when it became a bookies..

The main (new) Police Station at end of MMW is apparently the only one in the area with a Front Desk now.  St Ann’s Station was very quiet and eerie the other day, I couldn’t get in the door, had to pick up a phone outside in order to tell someone why I was there, finally an officer came and opened the door to let me in.  It seemed very cold and dismal.  It somehow doesn’t encourage the general public to get involved and approach the police about problems we encounter in today’s society.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Twenty odd years ago when I was van driving for a living, I was pulled into one of those DVLA inspection places on the A1. Everything was okay, but I hadn't my documents on me. I attempted to show them at Strelley Police Station the following day, but couldn't gain access. 

I eventually found Bulwell accessible a week later. 

Many of the front counters have gone, it just used to encourage people to go in and report things.

No counters, nothing to sort out..

Similar to supermarkets, a lot of them have scrapped Customer service desks, people used to go in and expect staff to sort out issues.

No desk, nothing to sort out..

• Upvote 1

I worked in Police stations throughout the city spending time at Hucknall, Carlton, St Anns and about 12 years at the old Central nick, the one next to the fire station. Can’t understand why there is mention of excessively smelly toilets as this was something I never experienced. No more so than any other office shop etc. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.also been in a few Prisons

I went into Watton when it was a young offenders prison.  To make them work and earn their keep they assembled Sturmey Archer three speed triggers from parts shipped from Raleigh.

13 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Many of the front counters have gone, it just used to encourage people to go in and report things.  No counters, nothing to sort out..

Not only the front counters have gone, the police stations themselves have gone.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/18084-carlton-police-station/?

On the subject of smelly police stations,  the Hucknall one I was referring to was the place at the bottom of Duke St. (opposite the Byron cinema) in about 1965 - it reeked! the Ashford one was in about 1978 and the other one in about 1985. The last one was certainly an improvement on the first but, they really did stink. Perhaps being combined with huge amounts of tobacco smoke made it seem worse (some of the less salubrious bars have a similar smell).

I have considerable knowledge of Notts Police Stations! 

Jill, was it the old Worksop nick or the new build? The changing rooms and the snooker table and the toilets and showers in the old nick were OK. Worksop nick was relatively spacious (compared to Hyson Green) and had enough facilities to make it comfortable and had a decent canteen. I cannot remember the toilets being honking, but you may have been there shortly after my curry night. It was a close nick. One of the canteen girls had to have a termination due to the baby being dead, and we all got behind her and had a whip round and made sure she was OK. The cleaners were great and the admin staff wonderful. That was back in the days when we dictated statements onto acetate discs and after a while, the discs had so many voices on it that it was incomprehensible. I have always hated smoking and although smoking was permitted in the nick, I cannot recall it being horrible. 

Newark was lovely, as it was an old house, and Newark was very quiet. Ollerton was quiet as a station but it was centrally placed for a lot of police cars to congregate, especially at refs time. At Worksop we often had the South Yorks lads who we envied as they had the barathea uniforms where we had the heavy serge. Serge in winter is lovely. In the wet, it could weigh as much as your own body weight and in summer was awfully sweaty. 

I miss central, but it was a rabbit warren and I dont think I saw that much of it. I was mostly across the road at the traffic department. Canal Street was where we convened for the football matches and the pre-match food was superb. My girlfriend at the time was stationed at canal Street so I volunteered for every footy match. 

• Like 1