Where were Narrow Marsh folk moved to ?????

Hello,

I'm researching the life of George Henry Smith who I know was living on Knotted Alley in 1916.

I understand that the area was demolished in the 1930s and presumably people were rehoused not too far away.

I also have a death certificate that I suspect relates to George Henry , who may have died in 1936.

Can anyone suggest where householders were relocated to please so i can consider if I've found my man?

I suppose the obvious place to look would be the Nottingham City Council archives but, somehow, I suspect they wouldn't be much help. If you suspect your relative died in 1936, the 1939 register won't help, unless you know the names of those he lived with. It might yield an address.

My Dad always said his Grandma,,my Great Grandma,,who died in her 90s and i remember her,,was from Narrow Marsh,,and they were moved to 'Kemps Cottages'' town end of Carlton road in the early 30s,,,

Not that far really,,,Cliff Ton put a map somewhere on here showing the location.

You could try the Electoral Roll for 1935/36, assuming his home address was given on the Death cert and as long as you know who he may have been living with at the time.  There's a burial on 7 Feb 1936 for a George Henry Smith in Notts on the Deceased Online website, if the burial date seems to fit  There's a small charge to get more details and the record mentions that there's one other burial in the grave, which MIGHT be a family member.  There's also an article in the Nottingham Journal of 8 Feb 1936 saying that a man of that name died in Hospital following an accident at work.  He was 59, lived at 31 Cosby Road, and the article mentions a daughter and 7 sons and that his wife was too ill to attend the funeral. Don't know whether this is your man?

• Like 2

Welcome Potters to our site.

The Marshes Narrow Marsh and Broad Marsh,  my mother in law remember's Narrow marsh she used to say that you could leave one house with out paying you rent and be in another one 1 hour later, when she wed they went to live at Rose croft Drive Arnold this was a new estate then. 

In mediaeval times the south of Nottingham from the original Saxon borough , on it's imposing sandstone cliff, down to the river Leen would have been an  lnhospitable  area.The Marshes provided a home for the Grey Friars and the order gave its name to the Grey Friar Gate. As Nottingham expanded and housing was needed for industrial workers especially in textiles, the Marshes soon became covered with a dense of streets by the 29th century Broad Marsh and Narrow Marsh had become highly populated area of overcrowded yards and alleyways. Its crowded streets were built on marshy low lying land that ran down to the Nottingham canal. houses had no water,gas, nowhere you could wash you or anything, sanitary conditions were terrible. Yet at the same time the people had good hearts even though the Marshes  was roughest of the rough, you never seen anybody want. Major redevelopment was in the 1920s. i have a book with maps in showing all the streets if you are interested contact me though this site.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Moonlight flits..me thinks Mary1947,

Grandad born 1891 recalled being 'on the move' constantly as a child under ten years of age. This was Manvers St to Bath St area. Grandad was the youngest of four..all baptised..all birth's registered with different street names.

The 1880's.90's and 1901 census had the same results.

• Like 2

Went to a talk on old Nottingham  and have a book called Turning Back the  Pages it's all about Old Broad Marsh & Narrow Marsh, but as my mother-in-law lived down there I had first hand account about the place. All though now Gert's gone still remember some of the thing she told me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

The Marshes Narrow Marsh and Broad Marsh, 

Mary, I enjoyed your post very much. You got my inquisitive taste buds going , so I did a bit of reading up on the 'Marshes'. I have added the link to show anyone interested just an inkling of life there in the 1800s. I think it probably has been posted before but some may not have seen it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/features/2003/07/nineteenth_century_nottingham.shtml

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Welcome markwilliamlong look forward to reading your post.

Just think having 8 children running round you house. It doe's not bear thinking about. My aunt had 7 and when i was humm'm young and training to be a hairdresser my aunt ask me to perm her hair. After I had finished she told to sit down for dinner, it was amazing each one of my aunts children had a job to do, from the 12 year old to the 2 year old.  then when we had finished dinner each one again had there own job. Every pot n'pan was washed and put away, table cleared and carpet swept. So the morrel of having a house full is don't knock it till you have tried it.  

Thanks but no thanks I will stick to my two boys.

ps sorry nothing to do with Narrow Marsh.

• Like 1

Bless the Pill  best thing to come out of a laboratory.

• Like 2

Where did the people go from Narrow Marsh and Broad Marsh even though I have read my book On the Marsh'es cover to cover  it doe's not say where the people went. The only thing it say's is about the council houses that were built on Cliff Rd. Some of the people were rehoused there. If you know the house's on Cliff Rd  I don'i think many people would have be rehoused. So !!! Where did they go?

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, markwilliamlong said:

My great grandparents and their eight children lived at 22 Knotted Alley throughout the 1920's. They didn't have to move far when demolition began - their subsequent address was Beckford Road (off Colwick Road) in Sneinton.

Yes mark my Dad lived in narrow marsh as a kid , they got moved to sneinton , cardale or linton rise .