On 10/14/2019 at 4:10 AM, HSR said:

Paddy..your recollections appear to be in living memory, So I hope I'm totally wrong here! 

I'm sure I read a reference to a 'hospital' on Ransom Road pre 1920.

CT..what date is the map?

There was a hospital on Ransom Road, a private mental hospital.  Flats now.

Then the camp must have gone right through from Ransom Road to Wells Road, just about. Good map.

Now in new house, and finally got round to renovating the last room. Good job the shops have reopened after lockdown. Interesting to see maps and read comments. I have always thought that the "camp" was an old army camp, and when I was at WH school (1951-1957) it was used by homeless families. We did not have much money, but those kids were poor. I might see if I can find anyone who was at WH at the same time. We played on the huge sloping field, but the camp was well fenced off. 

Were they like the Nissen hut that were at Colwick woods? My Auntie Evelyn and Uncle Mark lived there afore  they moved to Clifton. Must have been mid 50s.

• 11 months later...
On 10/13/2019 at 7:23 PM, Cliff Ton said:

d". It looks like an army camp with a lot of huts

The hutted area is ruffly where Elliott Durham school tennis courts are... The cutting to the right is the Nottingham surban line ran through Mapperley Tunnel to sherwood station... It was a stop hospital for troops they were to be brought in by train... I know this because about 20 years back the caretaker (and mate of mine) of Walter Halls was clearing the cellars out and found a bricked up doorway, behind it they found 100's of old never used stretchers and other medical stuff plus the original plans, but it was never put to use

They should get "Time Team" in therethumbsup

• Like 1