Help needed please.

Can any bright spark out there give me any idea how to adjust my printer ( Epson XP-452), to accept thick photo paper than wafer thin card I have to use? I like to create and print my own cards and would like to print on something bigger than 100gsm. Thanking you in anticipation.

Paper or card grammage isn't usually a problem. The printer just needs to know the paper size and quality of print required and it handles the thickness itself. It's not a problem I've ever experienced in over 40 years of computer printers. I use a Canon but I have used Epson and HP in the past without problems.

The simple answer is you can't. If you use 100gsm you are already beyond the printers design parameters. From the technical specs the paper must A4 or smaller and the weight 64 gsm to 90 gsm (17 - 24lb)    thumbsdown

It may be resistance to 'bending' the printer can't handle

Thank you for the insight gents. Brew, I  think you've  hit the nail on the head. That's  what I  found on searching, 64 - 90gsm.

Phil, I've  had a couple of Canons and H.P printers and not had any problems with them accepting heavier weights, even though they were front loaders and had to bend over to reverse. Looks like I  might have to go back to one of them or see if Epson offer another model. Might be easier to chuck the paper out and start again. Many thanks anyway. B.

Printers are so relatively cheap these days, it's the inks that can be pricey. I buy mine online from Internet Inks in Keyworth. Inexpensive, top quality and next day delivery. The cartridges outlast the originals as well. No rejection problems when inserted.

Brew, I  enjoy making my own cards and do loads of em. Don't  really want to be going on line and let some company do the work for me, (it's  not quite the same). Can always get cheap cards from the Card Factory, 10 for a quid. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, printing and sticking etc. all personal cards.

• Like 1

My printer was only purchased last March, (runs on Prpane gas when I  can't  connect to mains coal gas!). Sometimes the bloody thing won't  take thicker photo paper.  Sister in lawbought me some last Christmas, HP premium, which won't  go through. Might stick to sending toilet roll through it instead.

• Upvote 1

Cut 'n' crease the card, print your design/picture on photo paper and stick it on? 

Photo paper usually runs better fed in from the rear where possible...

Inkjets designed to handle card stock tend to be a bit expensive for home users

I've  been creasing and cutting and sticking for years, but there are times when I  don't want a photo, cartoons for example.

I've never had a printer where the paper type or weight has been a cause of difficulty and your saying that your machine is restricted to around 90gsm max I would find unacceptable - and very strange. That weight is not much more than common photocopy paper.

I recently bought a HP Laserjet Pro M254du machine for just over €100 (say about £100ish) which accepts card up to 220gsm (although that weight is unsuitable for autoduplex printing).

I'm very happy with the machine and it's capable of doing more than I could ever require

My reason for posting this is to point your attention to other machines which aren't so restrictive in their uses, not to specifically recommend any particular brand or model.

Both Canons I  had worked well but after a few months something went wrong. They were both front loaders with a seperate tray for 10 x 15cm. No matter what I  did they wouldn't  recognise the paper, telling me the tray was empty. When I  took the last one back I  was told it was probably the sensors in both cases. The HP would not align the printing, despite several attempts to rectify the problem. I'm  sure this present Epson used to accept thicker paper (160-200gsm), when I  first got it.

Don't  intend to keep buying new machines, will re-use the paper instead.

Just had a look at ink prices for your HP laserjet....OUCH !!!

6 minutes ago, Beekay said:

I'm  sure this present Epson used to accept thicker paper (160-200gsm), when I  first got it.

It's entirely possible you broke them by using paper thicker than they could handle...If you're like me you probably only read manuals after an appliance breaks... it's man thing..

The toner for laser printers is expensive, certainly, but they print thousands of pages. Even the part filled cartridges supplied with a new printer print thousands.

The thing to do with a laser printer is to buy a new one when the cartidges expire. A new printer is way, way cheaper than a set of toners. Or you can fill your own and you can get chips to override the identifier chip of the original toners.

Edit: something I've jusr remembered. Years ago I had a problem with paper sensors in  a printer  and that was due to an occasion when the printer, in its wisdom, decided to feed itself with about twenty sheets all at once. This caused an almost intractable jam and spelled the demise of the machine.