Musing on song lyric quality

Homburg is a great story. However the story song that I can't abide at any price is that appalling dirge 'Where do you go to my lovely?'

by the equally appalling Peter Sarstedt. Did anyone REALLY look like that ?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't resist rewriting the lyrics for our most famous grocer's lad.   PARK TAVERN SONG   Once upon a time there was a Tavern, where our Ben played footie for the team. With hi

Strange how songs bring memories instantly to mind, isn't it?  I've never had any interest in pop music but my sister used to watch Top of the Pops every week.  I can remember Mary Hopkin appearing on

I assume that means you spent the rest of the night discussing quantum physics, Colly?  And very worthwhile too!

In which case I’ve got both of those albums but nothing to play them on. Maybe I have them on tape. Whilst we’re on this musical note does anyone remember Reg Cooper, the partially sighted folk singer back in the folk club days? We used to see him at Newark and Cropwell Bishop regularly.

• Like 1

I liked 'Frozen Orange Juice'.  Even played it down the 360..

This song.. which I'm pretty sure was the original  'B' side of Frozen Orange Juice ..was banned in many places.. but it's really just a send up.  Should also appeal to those who bemoan excessive 'Political Correctness'.  Fold danced to it in the 360 without the roof falling in.. :)

• Like 1

Please ignore the Donovan stuff above.  I inserted itself from Youtube and I can't get rid...

I was trying to post 'Frozen Orange Juice', by Peter Sarstedt, which I always liked.  just a good fun song.  Also 'Take Off Your Clothes'.. which I'd swear was the original B Side of the above before people who didn't understand its irony got all moralistic and it was banned in many places.

Just tried playing one of these you tube ditties and don't  know what happened but ended up playing three bloody different songs at once !

Wasn't me guv... 'onest!  :wacko:

I like the Boston Pops orchestra as they instrumentalise (is that a new word?) many pop songs..  

I remember doing a slow dance at Bestwood Welfare Sunday night disco with a pretty girl to Move Closer by Phylis Nelson, & when the line "move closer, move your body much closer" came on she did, & that turned out a very pleasant night if you know what I mean...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Wasn't me guv... 'onest!  :wacko:

Col,,tried to quote   but failed,,, Peter Sarstedt, where do you go my lovely'''  one of my all time favourites.......when your alone in your bed..........:rolleyes:

Tell me the thoughts that surround you,,i want to look inside your head........carnie !! Margie !!  ?

Edit   just looked him up,,didn't know he'd passed away........

• Like 1

I've seen all your Qualifications, that you got from the Sorbonne.:)

Just thought I would add again for them as don't know that Peter was the brother of Eden Kane who sang, among other songs..........Boys cry when no one can see them, no one can see them cry. Come on Choir?

• Like 3

You got me there carnie,,saw eden kane at empire or old playhouse 64 ish, 

Took Katrina from carlton. X

Peter Sarstedt, Peter Skellern...also deceased and Lyndsey de Paul...again, deceased. All three were played incessantly on T Wogan's radio programme every morning in the early 70s when I was getting ready to go to Manning. Where do you go to, my lovely. You're a Lady. Won't Somebody Dance With Me?  Those and many others, instantly bring back memories of that time which is why I can't bear to hear em. Not to mention the irritatingly cheerful Wogan! :angry:

• Like 1

Went to see the late,great Glen Campbell  at the once Commodore,  Nuthall road. Had a great evening and remember Glen complimenting the audience and saying, " You're  a super crowd, let me know where ya'all playing and I'll  come and see you". Classic.

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Whilst we’re on this musical note does anyone remember Reg Cooper, the partially sighted folk singer back in the folk club days?

Didn't he do a country music slot on Radio Nottingham way back when?

43 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Went to see the late,great Glen Campbell

Apart from being a country music legend he was also a stupendous guitarist.

Talking about music snobs, there is a definition "A music snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell overture and not think of the Lone Ranger"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

He did a lot of session work for other artists too.

And he could play the bagpipes a fair treat too Oz. He did a splendid rendition of "Amazing Grace" and went from guitar to walking among the audience with said bagpipes.

It were pure Genius.  bowdown

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, colly0410 said:

I like the Boston Pops orchestra as they instrumentalise (is that a new word?) many pop songs..  

I remember doing a slow dance at Bestwood Welfare Sunday night disco with a pretty girl to Move Closer by Phylis Nelson, & when the line "move closer, move your body much closer" came on she did, & that turned out a very pleasant night if you know what I mean...

When would that be Colly?  After I left town and the 360 Club..my mate Picko did a fair bit of Disco-ing and DJ.ing with Steve Austin and 'Pulse Disco' at Bestwood Welfare.  Also, my grandparents...who kept the Bestwood Hotel for many years.. did a bit of 'holiday cover'..or worrever it's called.. at the Welfare.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, carni said:

I've seen all your Qualifications, that you got from the Sorbonne.:)

Just thought I would add again for them as don't know that Peter was the brother of Eden Kane who sang, among other songs..........Boys cry when no one can see them, no one can see them cry. Come on Choir?

Spot on Carni. Eden's other big hit was 'Well I Ask You'.   Another was 'Forget Me Not'

I thought that was a great song.  I had some neighbours who worked at the Meridian factory and could get us into Meridian's swimming pool off Hucknall Road for very little money.. I remember 'Well I Ask You' being played there.

Don't forget also Robin Sarstedt.. the youngest brother...

• Like 1

Lyrics, to me, are pretty much irrelevant.

On paper can appear nothing, factor in everything else and a brilliant piece of work can be created.

But they do catch the ear.

Compo..I would have picked that also

& Conquistador. 

A Couple of others.

Bus Stop..The Hollies

Paper Sun..Traffic 

I will leave out Syd,..

Beekay...How lucky to see Glen Campbell! I saw I few legends in intimate venues. Thing of the past nowadays! I Blame the internet!

Could ramble on..

• Like 1