Musing on song lyric quality

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't resist rewriting the lyrics for our most famous grocer's lad.   PARK TAVERN SONG   Once upon a time there was a Tavern, where our Ben played footie for the team. With hi

Strange how songs bring memories instantly to mind, isn't it?  I've never had any interest in pop music but my sister used to watch Top of the Pops every week.  I can remember Mary Hopkin appearing on

I assume that means you spent the rest of the night discussing quantum physics, Colly?  And very worthwhile too!

Not sure if you can include groups, but another mention is " The Mavericks". Their  song, ' Just want to dqnce the night away' is a very chirpy, happy song. Another one is ' Dream River', of which I haved used as a background for some video filming I  did on the river Bure, up at Norfolk. It seemed quite appropriate at the time and fitted in wonderfully.

Of course groups are valid B. Most of the chart entries over the last 50 years have been done by groups. Especially in the 60's.

Some fantastic stuff. Someone mentioned The Hollies, who I consider to be probably the best group other than the Stones and Beatles.

Then Manfred Mann. Great talent. Then at the other end of the spectrum. Freddie and the Dreamers.

11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

You got me there carnie,,saw eden kane at empire or old playhouse 64 ish, 

Took Katrina from carlton. X

Hi Benjamin1945, did Katrina from Carlton have an Eastern European surname?

Regards,

Will2017

I personally  like to go back further. Anyone remember Joseph Locke, Michael Holliday, Anne Shelton to name but a few. But my favourite was David Whitfield. A superb tenor voice.

No Will........very English,,,although she looked Eastern Mediterranean........she was beautiful,,,got engaged and took her up Mount Snowdon.....................if you can pardon the expression......

Remember all of them BK.......Joseph Locke actually sang at the railway club in Bulwell, when i was working there,,under a different name,,when he had Tax problems,,,and met David Whitfield (well said ey-up) in the Bar at the Peach tree,, 

• Upvote 1

"And so I  go,

To fight the savage foe,

Although I  know,

I'll  be sometimes missed,

By the girls I've  kissed".

It could have been written for Benjamin1945.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Then there was Gracie Fields and Vera Lynn. Very much of the age I suppose but pretty dreadful looking back!

Believe  it or not, but Dame Vera Lynn is a mate of  mine. She is chairman of the League of friends up at the hospital where I  work. She lives just down the road from me !

Of that era, I thought Malcolm Vaughan had a superb voice. He knocked spots of that oily smarmy git, Frankie Vaughan.

Couple of others..

Ballad of easy rider..Byrd's or Fairport..would be my personal favourite interpretations.

The Weight by the Band.. great song..also liked Smith's version over Spooky Tooth's which probably charted in the short term..

Vera don't live next door, but not too far away. She's heard of Ben, which is precisely why she stays in Sussex, (out of his road)!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Of that era, I thought Malcolm Vaughan had a superb voice. He knocked spots of that oily smarmy git, Frankie Vaughan.

While I wasn't a fan of his style, or of his almost exclusively 'covers' based recording output.. he did a lot of good over his lifetime.  I remember seeing him being driven past Bulwell Bogs on the way to Bulwel Youth Club ..which I think he was opening, or something after a re-build.

He was married to the same woman from 1951 till he died.  He did a lot for youth clubs and donated the proceeds of one record per year to their funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Vaughan