Musing on song lyric quality

Easy to overlook because it's so familiar.. but 'Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying'.. is a great set of lyrics.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't resist rewriting the lyrics for our most famous grocer's lad.   PARK TAVERN SONG   Once upon a time there was a Tavern, where our Ben played footie for the team. With hi

Strange how songs bring memories instantly to mind, isn't it?  I've never had any interest in pop music but my sister used to watch Top of the Pops every week.  I can remember Mary Hopkin appearing on

I assume that means you spent the rest of the night discussing quantum physics, Colly?  And very worthwhile too!

And of course the Beatles changed the whole game. 

They moved away from 'Mon-June-Swoon' stuff into much more realistic and pointed lyrics which pervaded not only their 'documentary' songs like 'Rain', 'Penny Lane' etc., and their 'psychedelic/surreal lyrics' such as Strawberry Fields Forever', but also their love songs.  'Girl' being the pinnacle for me, but there are many others... 'This Boy', 'Yesterday' 'Here, There and Everywhere' and so on, through to the frustrated venom of 'I'm Down' and the stark admonition of 'You Can't Do That'. They not only changed lyrics, but also song structures and shapes. I can't understand how anybody can not like, or at least admire, the phenomenal lyrical and melodic contribution they made.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I liked their stuff up to Rubber Soul / Revolver etc, but my preferences then veered towards a more blues/ rock based theme.

Yes, I do admire all that they achieved. The amount of groups that they inspired must be endless.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:39 AM, DJ360 said:

Dunno about that.  Dave Dee died a while back and I've no idea what happened to his 'estate'. I

This was about 1975 first broadcast on TV..by 1984 i had a video recorder and had about 12 shows on VHS (long binned). Dave Dee name cropped up always in the end credits. Possibly just some minor UK distribution thing.

Have about 40 DVDs of the  Radio Bremen archive. They Looked after it..unlike the BBC.

There's a real tantalising clip of Free doing The Hunter ..9 secs only! If I remember correctly Aachen Festival 69. Probably the earliest known live film footage.  Whole song might be there now with utube etc..haven't had broadband since 2014.

regarding RSG..

Possibly contract disputes blocking release and as I'm sure you know, lot's was wiped..

What is it you'd like to see? I have a few boot DVDs of the show but think they are probably the common stuff.

I loved and still do love Sgt Pepper. The concept of having a structured album where one song complimented the next, and had a cohesive structure was an incredible advance. ELO did something similar but a bit cheesy. Sgt Pepper remains the album that all others are measured by.

• Like 1

One of my favourite rock tracks is 'When a blind man cries'. The old Deep Purple song. However, there's an awesome version on utube by Ian Gillan. Phenomenal lyrics.