Musing on song lyric quality

Vera Lynn was a decent singer. I thought Gracie was awful..playing up to that 'poor as dirt but still cheerful northern peasant' image. I never liked Anne Shelton's voice. 

Also about at the time were Ruby Murray who was ok..Alma Cogan who was OK, The Beverley Sisters who were OK.. Petula Clark who made me cringe with her 'goody two shoes' image. etc.  They were all 'OK', but they also were the last 'knockings' of an old system where agents and impresarios called the shots and largely directed the artistes careers. 

The 'old guard' of impresarios etc., clearly struggled to cope with the new wave of Rock and Roll and R&B stuff from the USA and their only answer was to try to turn a lot of variety artistes into Rock Stars...with patchy results.

Speaking of song lyrics.  There as a Two I's Cafe and Wee Williw Harris really did 'rock' there. but his song about it has dreadful lyrics. I have this on 78.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YE0NNxXFn0

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't resist rewriting the lyrics for our most famous grocer's lad.   PARK TAVERN SONG   Once upon a time there was a Tavern, where our Ben played footie for the team. With hi

Strange how songs bring memories instantly to mind, isn't it?  I've never had any interest in pop music but my sister used to watch Top of the Pops every week.  I can remember Mary Hopkin appearing on

I assume that means you spent the rest of the night discussing quantum physics, Colly?  And very worthwhile too!

Lay down your arms and surrender to mine, was Ann Shelton.

Another great song (I think) that tells a story is The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes Col, I know Frankie  V did a lot for charity, and I admire him for it, but it was just his looks and song content I struggled with.

Anyway, back on topic regarding lyrics. I liked Leroy Van Dyke's 'Walk on By' also two covers by Gregg Allman, namely, Steal Away, and The Dark End of the Street. I love songs of clandestine and illicit associations. That's life !

Remembered. Slip Away was Clarence Carter, and Dark End was James Carr. Both brilliant versions.

As Col says. By about 64, the impresario, agents and other hangers on were thankfully beginning to lose their grip and influence on artists song content. Rock & Roll had been going for a good few years, and now was the time for the singer/ songwriters , beat and blues groups and rock music to prevail. Thank goodness.

Just watching Lynyrd Skynyrd doing Freebird live from Atlantic City on utube.

That kiddies is how it's done !

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

When would that be Colly?  After I left town and the 360 Club..my mate Picko did a fair bit of Disco-ing and DJ.ing with Steve Austin and 'Pulse Disco' at Bestwood Welfare.  Also, my grandparents...who kept the Bestwood Hotel for many years.. did a bit of 'holiday cover'..or worrever it's called.. at the Welfare.

Would be mid 1980's I think. I remember Picko, Steve Austin & Pulse Disco, great lads... 

I used to work behind the bar at Bestwood Hotel (Top Pub) in the late 70's/early 80's, Jeff & Debra ran it when I was there, they moved to manage Standard Of England & I went with them. Mam & My Wife Sue also did their stint behind Top Pub bar. I lived in one of those terraced houses across the road...

• Like 1

Is Bestwood hotel the one that used to be next door to the pithead baths? I recall staggering out of the baths, when on afters and  nipping in for a jar before catching the 'Macko's back to Bulwell.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Colly, was at the pit 1958/60. Even drove for Macko's about 66/67.

Apologies for veering off thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Back on track, another singist I  like is James Taylor, especially  when singing his cows to sleep, " Good night sweet ladies".

Come to think of it, should have been Bens theme tune.

22 hours ago, Beekay said:

And he could play the bagpipes a fair treat too Oz. He did a splendid rendition of "Amazing Grace" and went from guitar to walking among the audience with said bagpipes.

Didn't know that, just watched it on YT, what a brilliant musician.

7 hours ago, Beekay said:

Thanks Colly, was at the pit 1958/60. Even drove for Macko's about 66/67.

Apologies for veering off thread.

My grandparents had the Bestwood Hotel at that time.

8 hours ago, colly0410 said:

Would be mid 1980's I think. I remember Picko, Steve Austin & Pulse Disco, great lads... 

I used to work behind the bar at Bestwood Hotel (Top Pub) in the late 70's/early 80's, Jeff & Debra ran it when I was there, they moved to manage Standard Of England & I went with them. Mam & My Wife Sue also did their stint behind Top Pub bar. I lived in one of those terraced houses across the road...

Bestwood Hotel was generally known to locals as the 'Clubby'.  I spent many a happy hour in there visiting grandparents etc.  Probably from as early as I can remember.

Those were the original houses built by Bestwood Coal And Iron.  Better quality than most miner's houses back then. My Great Great Grandfather moved his family there when the colliery opened around 1870.  I don't knoew any songs about it though...

I wasa 'ripping' vinyl to my music server last night and finally got around to doing the Kinks.  I was reminded of the great lyrics of their songs such as Waterloo Sunset, Days, and so on.

• Upvote 1

And Lola Col. Still one of the best groups I've seen. Fantastic live  !

• Like 1

A song with superb lyrics that I regularly view on utube, is 'Where the Stars & Stripes and the Eagles Fly'  by Aaron Tippen.

It extols the 'Home of the Brave, Land of the free' theme. It's not jingoistic, it just states that if a person is prepared to work hard and have ambition, then there are still endless opportunities for success and a good life in the USA. 

• Like 1