Clocks back tonight

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've heard of luxury cars, but I've never seen one with a shower.     I'll get me coat. !

I must be rich because I have four watches, but only two bought by us and the second was because about a year ago I thought I had lost my watch the one that I wear daily. We got back from a cycle ride

I've been at work today, popped home for lunch and then put the clock back one hour, seemed like a good idea.

Posted Images

One Sunday morning many years ago in the early 1960s .. my Mum called me into the house in a panic.  Nobody in our house had remembered to change the clocks and it was an hour later than we thought.  I had to rush to get into me Wolf Cubs kit and get a bus into town to the St George's Day Parade.. which is a bit odd because as I recall St George's Day is 23rd April.  So either the parade was a 'a bit previous', or the clocks changed on a different date back then.  I also had it pointed out to me by our Akela (Whose real name was Colin), that I had my neckerchief on the wrong way round.  It was half red and half white.. don't ask me which side went where....

Later.. I'll put up a pic of me in me Cubs kit and then we'll see..

Meanwhile, I'm getting back out into the Sun..:tanning:

However.. no deckchair for me.  Serious gardening going on here... Honest! 

Col

Oz, if you want confusing, then Arizona takes the cake. We don't change our clocks at anytime, so for 6 months we are on the same time as Pacific Daylight and the other 6 months, same as Mountain Daylight. 2 different time zones. To add to that, the Navajo reservation here, does change their clocks, but the Hopi reservation within the Navajo, doesn't change theirs. Oh, and our Mother's Day is like yours, in May.

4 hours ago, plantfit said:

You really do spoil Mrs Catfan,automatic clocks indeed,Mrs P changes ours slywink

Rog

You're right of course Rog, when Mrs Catfan got me she got a gud'un !

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

There’s a picture in today’s Times of a staff member at the British Horological Institute at nearby Upton starting out on the mammoth task of putting their clocks back. A pretty fatuous excercise seeing as it will probably take all weekend only to be reversed next Spring. They usually have an open weekend when clocks go back/forward so it’s worth a visit if you’ve not been before. When is this clock adjustment nonsense going to stop? The idea’s been kicked around for years. Will Brexit make it happen?

A pointless and nuisance episode twice a year.

We do not change until next week and it is now pitch black at 7:00 am when I take my dogs out and people are going to work and school.  As far as I am concerned it should be turned back to winter time and left there.  There are some states and provinces that do no change their clocks.  That just creates more confusion with the ones that do.  No matter what we do with our clocks there are only so many hours of daylight each day.

It's next week when the clocks are changed here but, it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. My waking/sleeping hours are very flexible in that I go to bed when I feel like it and get up when I feel like it.

All of my timekeeping equipment, except the CH boiler, is either radio controlled or controlled via a satellite - which is the same thing, really, I suppose. Cookers and microwave ovens I leave to the people who use them to adjust the time but I don't see the point in having a clock on the cooker/microwave oven when there's a perfectly adequate clock on the wall - timers, yes clocks, no.

• 11 months later...

Thanks Beekay if Christmas humbug wasn't bad enough you have now made things worse by mentioning Easter.  But with Easter brings Spring and the thought of green shoots growing in the garden again and the birth of wildlife again.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Looking forward to an extra hour in bed tomorrow!

Why can't you - as a retired person - have an extra hour in bed every Sunday (or any other day for that matter!)   I reckon it's mostly people who have babies and young children who are affected by the clock change..... many little ones will have been awake and ready for the day since 5am this morning!  

Shift workers are affected too.  I know I've mentioned this before but when I was working at Harlow Wood,  I was on nights at the end of October for both years I was there,  so I had to work an extra hour.  I suggested to the day staff that they could come on duty half an hour earlier (to split the hour difference) but they weren't having any of that!

3 hours ago, trogg said:

Thanks Beekay if Christmas humbug wasn't bad enough you have now made things worse by mentioning Easter.  But with Easter brings Spring and the thought of green shoots growing in the garden again and the birth of wildlife again.

Hiya Trogg, the shoots I  can think of are 'bamboo shoots and pea shoots, together with bean sprouts. Now we're  talking.

58 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Worrabart sundials? How do you change them? 

Simply move the gnomon... simples.

It is a well known fact that the only time people read their car handbook is to change the clock at daylight saving.

Why do we call it "Daylight Saving"? we still get the same amount of daylight but at different times according to our manipulation of the clock.

Exactly Oz. There's only so much daylight. Tampering with the clock won't make a blind bit of difference.

I hate it...  I will now be looking forward to Dec 21st.. shortest day.. and then first week in Feb 2020.. when it is light at 5:00pm.  All in the mind etc.. but ..

I triumphed over the oven clocks today and finally got both reading to the same minute for the first time ever..

Sadly, when I checked my 'posh' watch.. it had stopped.  Battery gone no doubt.. but it has lasted five years.  It's not a job for some market stall cowboy.. so will have to be sent away.  They do an 'ultrasonic' clean.. change all seals, pressure test it etc.. and also put in a battery which lasts more than 20 minutes..  But they do like to charge for it...

Most people I know no longer wear a watch!  They look at their phone when they want to know the time!