Clocks back tonight

I must agree with you wholeheartedly RR. Why on earth don't folks look at what's already available, before creating new topics. Unbelievable.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've heard of luxury cars, but I've never seen one with a shower.     I'll get me coat. !

I must be rich because I have four watches, but only two bought by us and the second was because about a year ago I thought I had lost my watch the one that I wear daily. We got back from a cycle ride

I've been at work today, popped home for lunch and then put the clock back one hour, seemed like a good idea.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Most people I know no longer wear a watch!  They look at their phone when they want to know the time!  

Thing is Margie, I've worn a watch for so long, I feel distinctly odd without one.  It's the second thing I put on in the morning, after me specs...  My posh watch has all sorts of digital functions like stopwatch, timer, calendar etc, but I can't be bothered to figure out how to use them.  I just keep them turned off so only the actual hands are showing.  And it's still easier to just look at a watch than to dig a phone out of your pocket.

My 'cooking' watch needs a new strap.. but I may just get a cheap new watch instead for 'cooking' purposes.  just don't want anything the size of a dinner plate with 50 dials that looks like the cockpit of a 747. Horrible things.

If I have a fetish it's for watches, there are six sitting under my monitor all showing as near as possible the same time - to the second. I can't walk past a jewellers without, oooo shiny...

• Like 1

I like watches too.   Don't like Rolex though. I just don't like that 'curved lug' shape..  and I reckon they're over hyped.  I've got my old 70s Seiko self winder which needs more money spending on it than it's worth, also my Dad's Seiko Sportsman which my Mum bought him about 1960, and my Grandad Jack's 45 Year presentation Timex from the railways, which has the well known problem of a 'crazing' dial.  I also read up a bit on that and discovered that British Railways cheated.  They apparently bought a nice Timex model, but had Timex put a  cheaper movement in them to cut costs.  I blame them sociarlists with their nashernalized inderstries.... :rolleyes:

To me.. this is horrible...

17050823_1_460.jpg

This is much classier.. but still a bit fussy..

17210209_1_640.jpg

I don't like the big lumps protecting the winder.  Practical but ugly.

Even Rado have changed the design of the Ceramica and made it worse IMO.  Mine has the strap and watch the same width.. no curves.  The new version has the strap curved into the watch and just looks ordinary now.

• Like 1

I feel undressed without a watch. My ‘daily’ is a Citizen Eco -Drive WR200 which is powered by light and picks up a time signal from Germany making it perfectly accurate. It updates the hour twice a year. I’ve had it for around 10 years and will only bin it when it stops. I do have a few others kicking around which I bought on a whim. My ‘posh’ watch for weddings and funerals is an Omega Speedmaster, certified by NASA for spaceflight. It was the first watch to be worn on the Moon (not mine, of course). Being mechanical it does require a service every five or so so years at a cost of around £500 but whilst it keeps running I’ll leave it! Most of the expensive watches are mechanical and they do appreciate in value but do require servicing. Being a one time private pilot I do like pilots’ watches with lots of knobs and dials but you never actually use them in an aeroplane, your main watch being the stopwatch on your clipboard. Most pilot navigation is now done by satnav so your route is laid out before you. I much preferred the old days where navigation was done by stopwatch, map, compass and Mk 1 eyeball. 

47 minutes ago, Brew said:

If I have a fetish it's for watches, there are six sitting under my monitor all showing as near as possible the same time - to the second. I can't walk past a jewellers without, oooo shiny...

I'm a bit lost for words here, Brew..... "strange" and "odd" are the only words that I can think of!    But if it makes you happy and you're not harming anyone else, then it must be OK.   I don't like watches much so it may be that I'm the odd one?   

I've just read Col's and Phil's comments about their watches.... yes, it must be me!

I’ve been in uncertainty mode about watches for the last few weeks. I’ve had one for as long as I can remember, but I’m wondering whether I could learn to live without.

My current watch is a Seiko which cost around £55 in the mid 80s. I like it and it tells the time, which is all I need. The other functions such as stopwatch, calendar, etc don’t work because one of the push-button needs fixing, but I never used them anyway.  And the strap is a bit floppy and loose, so needs fixing, or I might lose it without realising.

I’ve been trying to decide if I should spend to have it fixed, or scrap it and either go without, or buy a cheap £10 purely-functional thing.

I’m not bothered about bling or fashion or tech.

• Upvote 1

Margie.. on some other sites I visit.. there are whole great long threads about watches...

Here's one post from a 40+ page thread...

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/the-watch-thread-pocket-wrist-sporty-showy-you-name-it.200461/page-2#post-3081054

Kev, if you decide on a new watch.. there are thousands offered at various online stores.  You can get a decent 'daily' for well under £100.  Since it's costing me 65 quid to get my 'posh' watch fitted with a new battery and a bit of a clean up.. I'm thinking around £50 ish for a new 'daily'.  My current 'daily' needs a new strap and it's specific to the watch.  Costs about 60 quid..  I'd sooner buy a new watch.

9 minutes ago, MargieH said:

"strange" and "odd"

Margie those are words that have been applied to me many times... :Fool: but I just smile and....   oooo shiny.....

• Like 3

I bought a watch in Roys, of Wroxham. Paid the princely sum of five quid. Not quite in the league of Cols etc., but in two years its never lost a minute. The only thing that's  gone is the plating on it. Maybe I  should sit in a corner as I  don't  want to embarrass the big guns with their 'posh' stuff.

• Like 1

It's not about 'posh' BK. In my little collection is a mechanical Timex, a non descipt quartz that came free with a carton of cigarettes, my grandads retirement watch among others...

I think a watch is a personal thing. It’s usually discretely hidden under your cuff and not something you wave around to say ‘I’ve got a gold Rolex’. To my knowledge most of those are cheap copies from the Far East anyway. Thieves are quite happy to hack your wrist off to steal your expensive watch so it’s not worth taking the risk. The British Horological Association at Upton near Southwell is open every Friday and it’s interesting to have a look round their watch and clock museum.

My 'posh' watch was effectively a retirement present to myself.  I'd hankered after it for about 15 years and it was about to be discontinued.. so I bought it.  I have others, much in the same vein as Brew.. but only the one 'posh' watch.  It was around £1400.. which is actually fairly modest cf. the likes of Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Brietling etc.  I look after my 'posh' watch by only wearing it for 'going out' etc.  I have a 'daily' watch for wear at other times.

I'll return to the topic of 'extravagance' later.

The only time I wear a watch is if I go anywhere special where I have to wear a shirt and tie, very rarely these days .Then I will wear a  watch given to me by a neighbour some 30 years ago. She brought this for her husband when he sold his company and retired, sadly he died a week after retirement and I had to promise her I would wear it on special occasions and think of her and her husband, which I do. It is a gold wind up Accurist still in its original box purchased from    F J Lees 28 Wheeler Gate Nottingham.  Other than that I don't wear a watch and being retired who cares about time, if I need to know the time I ask the wife and she uses her phone, the only time I carry my phone is if I am out by myself, which is not that often.

• Like 2

Col, I expect we all have our own ideas what is extravagant...

I rarely spend money on any goods for myself -  I actually wouldn't enjoy wearing/using them if they were really expensive, probably because I know there are so many good causes that NEED my money instead of my spending it...  

We bought a new vacuum a couple of days ago, but that was because the old one had given up and was probably irreparable (Paul did try).   I think It was wrecked because it was several years old anyway.and we'd used it to vacuum up some bits of plaster that had come off the wall and there was other gritty stuff there as well (not in our house!)    The new one is lovely - quiet and efficient - and I had to empty it twice whilst  just doing this room.... shows how inefficient the old one had become!

But we are all different, as has been said countless times before on Nottstalgia and long may it continue!

@trogg I love your post about wearing the watch and remembering the gentleman

Phil, have you decided which pair of shoes to wear when you come to the next meet up?  You don't have to wear a tie...