Clocks back tonight

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've heard of luxury cars, but I've never seen one with a shower.     I'll get me coat. !

I must be rich because I have four watches, but only two bought by us and the second was because about a year ago I thought I had lost my watch the one that I wear daily. We got back from a cycle ride

I've been at work today, popped home for lunch and then put the clock back one hour, seemed like a good idea.

Posted Images

I must be rich because I have four watches, but only two bought by us and the second was because about a year ago I thought I had lost my watch the one that I wear daily. We got back from a cycle ride last year and it was missing from my wrist. I was a bit upset because we had treated our selves to matching Rotary ones when hubbs retired. Not top of the range but special to us.

Anyway after about a month I had another Rotary, about a month later Hubbs was cleaning the panniers out and what should be in a glasses case at the bottom of one , my watch, put there for safe keeping as sometimes the tow paths can have unsavoury people lurking around.

The third watch, is a very delicate Marquisette one that I bought in the 70s for around £8 from Sneinton Market for my lovely Mam, she  always adored it. It came back to me when she past away, I now adore it, because she did.

My 4th is a dress watch, bought for me by my Daughter, when hubbs and I used to go 'Ballroom Dancing'. Sadly the knees have stopped the dancing, but I wear the watch occasionally as It was a gift from my Gel. So I suppose I must be posh then. They don't call me 'Four Watch Carni' for nothing  you know.:biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Why on earth don't folks look at what's already available, before creating new topics. Unbelievable

I doff my cap to the clever clogs who condensed the 3 yes 3 "Clocks back tonight" topics :crazy: 

6 hours ago, MargieH said:

I've just read Col's and Phil's comments about their watches.... yes, it must be me!

I'm with you Margie, I do not own or wear a watch, I have no rings or chains or any desire for any bling-bling :sorry: I have quite a collection of Fred Perry polo shirts & some quite old Nottingham Forest football badges, that's it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I don't wear jewellery in general, but suppose I was always brought up with the idea that a good watch was important. 

My Grandad Jack always wore a good watch, though..as a Railway Signalman.. he was hardly wealthy. He also learned something about watch repairs and often fixed them for friends.  He showed me a few simple things that could go wrong with 'mechanical' watches, though I no longer have the eyesight or steadyness of hand to do anything. When my Mum turned 21, he took her to a jewellers somewhere in Nottm and bought her a solid gold Accurist.  She still wore it at least until she went into a care home, but I don't know what happened to it in the end. I must try to find out. 

My Dad was interested in watches and had a small collection of silver pocket watches. My Dad also used to carry a small siver 'fob' watch, in a cotton wool lined 'Meggezones Pastilles' tin, when he went 'down't pit'. A wrist watch was vulnerable, dangerous and for all I know 'illegal' underground.  Later, my Dad bought an Ingersoll chrome cased pocket watch, and a rubber protective case. They were around 19s and 6d.. basic, but reliable.. so I bought one too, for working in engineering, or on building sites. So yes.. 'back in the day'.. a decent watch was a necessity, a sort of 'rite of passage' for many, and a popular 'coming of age' gift.

Obviously, if..like most people nowadays, you have a phone.. then you don't actually need a watch.  Equally, you probably don't need a mantle clock or wall clock.. because you've most likely got one on your cooker.. and your microwave.. and your toaster..fridge etc., etc.

I've always liked having a decent watch.  Nothing too extravagant.. but decent.  It helps that I don't much like the styling of the likes of Omega. and some of the ugliest watches i've ever seen are made by Breitling.

So.. what is 'extravagant'?  It's generally supposed to mean spending excessively for no reason.  So yes.. my £1400 watch could very possibly be replaced by something much cheaper. However.. when I was first interested in my Rado.. Mrs Col decided to 'head me off at the pass' by purchasing a Skagen which is superficially similar.. and cost less than £100.  I accepted it gracefully and have worn it daily.. but the 'glass' has scratched and the bracelet is now all but scrap.  OK, it's had more wear than my Rado, but it still hasn't coped well.  A good illustration of why the Rado cost about 15 times the cost of the Skagen.  Before I had either.. I used a succession of 'genuine fake' Rolexes etc., which the kids brought home for me from their travels, interspersed with a few 'digital' examples which came free with booze or cigs.  None lasted more than a few months.

In the wider sense, I don't think of myself as extravagant at all.  There are some intensely personal areas where I don't compromise.. So.. I always buy decent quality shoes.. but nothing out landishly expensive.  Also, I buy decent specs, with the best lenses I can get.  I have to look through them every waking hour.. so I want them 'right'.

I do spend money on my hi-fi. But that is my hobby and hobbies are generally about the pursuit of excellence.. in whatever field. Some people spend fortunes on bicycles, cars, fishing rods, motorbikes, or whatever. Even then, my hi fi is modest.in the wider scheme of things.

I have a couple of pairs of shoes and two pairs of walking boots. One for summer, one for winter.  I possess one M&S 'boil in the bag' two piece suit which is adequately respectful for funerals and in any case usually covered up by my fake Cromby.

I drive a 15 year old car, and see no need to change it. There's a strong possibility it will be my last.  IMHO, the most obvious commonly seen extravagance, is those who throw hundreds of pounds per month at purchasing, or leasing the latest model car.  Very often something which has completely unneccessary capabilities and which won't get the owner from A-B any faster than mine will. I recall a neighbour expressing horror at the money I'd spent on a bit of hi fi.. as we stood next to his massive 4x4 on his drive.  I queried how much it had cost and he went off on a rant about its 'off road' capabilities, until I pointed out that the furthest it had ever been 'off- road'. was the end of his driveway.  His face was a picture..

In the end.. we'd all no doubt survive with the most basic, boring and functional of everything, from tech, to clothes, to transport etc., but the World would be a boring place and we'd have little to strive for.  A few luxuries are a big part of what we work all of our lives for.

• Like 2

I have to agree with you DJ, I have two what I call Luxuries  the first and most expensive is cars. I have just changed cars again, well the other was six months old.  The most important one to me is spacious shower cubicle with a never ending supply of hot water and a thick warm fluffy towel.  We are all different and have various likes and dislikes.

• Like 1

My own father was an aircraft instrument technician in the Royal Air Force during the war. When he was demobbed he took up watch repairs as a sideline to his main employment and there was a continual stream of callers with watches to be repaired. He used to go to Woods on Clumber St. for the parts. He also kept chickens in the back garden and there were always regular customers for eggs. He never wore a watch but could always tell you the time within five minutes. He was a fairly frugal sort of chap but he did like a Jaguar or a Mercedes as his means of transport as he rose up the management ladder, ultimately to be chairman of the company he joined before the war. 

I have a number of watches from the one my parents bought me when I was 18 to a very pretty 1930s gold cocktail watch given to me by an old flame. I also have my parents' watches. I never wear any of them but usually know what the time is and I am always early for appointments because I have a horror of lateness. It is one of the things that annoys me intensely when people are late.

I have a very basic mobile phone for emergencies. Virtually no one has the number. I don't want to be contactable at all times by all and sundry. Nothing irritates me more than people whose attention is constantly glued to their smartphone.

I don't drive an expensive car. It has four wheels, is weatherproof and gets me to where I need to be. I don't have an expensive sound system. If I want to listen to, say, Bach's Brandenburg Concerti, I take the orchestral score from the bookshelf and listen to it as it plays in my head.

I don't own a tv but I do love books. My luxuries are a roaring fire, candlelight, a decanter of good, red wine, an absorbing book and several moggies.

The older I get, the less interest I have in material things and the world around me. I could easily become a recluse, content to sit quietly and think.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, trogg said:

I have to agree with you DJ, I have two what I call Luxuries  the first and most expensive is cars. I have just changed cars again, well the other was six months old.  The most important one to me is spacious shower cubicle with a never ending supply of hot water and a thick warm fluffy towel.  We are all different and have various likes and dislikes.

Well, I've heard of luxury cars, but I've never seen one with a shower.  :biggrin:   I'll get me coat.

!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I used a succession of 'genuine fake' Rolexes etc., which the kids brought home for me from their travels, interspersed with a few 'digital' examples which came free with booze or cigs.  None lasted more than a few months.

I still have two fake watches, one a "gold Lolex" purchased from the street traders on  Penang and the second a fake IWC from the Russian Market in Bejing. The Lolex is almost thirty years old and apart from batteries is still going strong. The IWC is fifteen years old and is one of those that winds itself with the movement of your wrist, still keeps excellent time.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I am always early for appointments because I have a horror of lateness. It is one of the things that annoys me intensely when people are late.

If I have to be somewhere at a certain time, I’m always early. If people have a problem with time, it's usually because of lateness. I’m the opposite.

I always overestimate how long it will take me to get to a particular place at a given time. I do the mental calculation in advance and think “it will take me about 20-25 minutes to get there”…and I arrive in 10 minutes. I always end up hanging around waiting for whatever is supposed to be happening.

It doesn't annoy other people (as lateness does) but it annoys me.

• Upvote 2
On 10/28/2019 at 9:04 AM, FLY2 said:

Why on earth don't folks look at what's already available, before creating new topics

Bonfire night soon & we have 7 Bonfire Night topics to pick from or just start another :crazy:

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/search/?&q=bonfire &search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

• Upvote 1

Just wait till some dingbat starts wishing us Merry Christmas even before November is out. Almost laughable.

• Like 1

I'll collect my egg on your next visit B

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2019 at 11:26 AM, DJ360 said:

Equally, you probably don't need a mantle clock or wall clock.. because you've most likely got one on your cooker

Can anyone actually set the clock on the cooker? I have always found it's best left alone :crazy: 

• Like 2

As I've not had a watch for the past 8 weeks, I often use the one on the cooker. I've been known to walk into the kitchen to see what time it is.

Twice a year I have to get the book out to adjust it at clock-moving time.

• Like 1

I can't think of anything simpler. Switch on, press clock, press + or minus as required... simples.

I have to get the Manufacturer’s instruction books out every six months.  I never bother changing the clock in my car .......  however it was put onto BST earlier this week when my car went into the workshop for a service, I wouldn’t have bothered but the battery was flat due to lack of use, shiny new battery fitted now! 

The clocks on the ovens are easy to set.. but a little bit more tricky to get both to exactly the same minute.

• Upvote 1

It has been proven that the only time car owners refer to the manuals provided by the manufacturers is to change the clocks for daylight saving.

Luckily for me in my car the time is set by GPS so it automatically adjusts for daylight saving and for time zones when we travel interstate.

I do agree with DJ360 that getting the time on the microwave and oven which are above each other to show the same time is a pain in the ar$e.

• 5 months later...