I'd never noticed that before so I had to have a look.

The grey bin (normal rubbish) is 2004, but the blue bin (paper) doesn't seem to have one.

The only thing I'd ever noticed before was the 89db sticker; I assume db is decibels but I don't understand what it actually refers to.

22 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'd never noticed that before so I had to have a look.

The grey bin (normal rubbish) is 2004, but the blue bin (paper) doesn't seem to have one.

The only thing I'd ever noticed before was the 89db sticker; I assume db is decibels but I don't understand what it actually refers to.

I've always assumed that the dB sticker is a claim from the manufacturer, that the bin is 'relatively' quiet when being 'banged abaahht' by the Waste Disposal Technicians.

• Like 1

There was a bit of a furore here when Wheelie Bins were first introduced .  Early 1990s I think.  It was discovered that each one had a sort of 'microchip' fitted just under the 'lip' of the bin.  It was apparently used by the council to 'scan' bins and  do some sort of statistical measuring of bin use, frequency of emptying etc.. but the conspiracy theorists had a field day with it till everybody lost interest.

We now have a brown bin for general waste, a black box for bottles and cardboard, a pink bag for cans, and a grey 'caddy', for food waste, which is meant to be kept indoors, but ours lives outside the back door.  The biodegradable bags supplied with the food caddy then have to be put in a larger grey bin for collection weekly. We also still have a green wheelie bin for garden waste.  They started charging £30 per year to empty those, but I decided against, as I compost most of my garden waste and now take the rest to the waste disposal centre a couple of times a year.  It's cheaper. They very generously allowed those of us who don't pay for green bin disposal, to keep the bins.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

EU directive on noise regulations so we won’t be disturbed by early morning bin collections. Don’t you just love the EU?:biggrin:

Well we obviously didn't use our  little known ( by Brexiteers) power of veto and I for one am glad.  The general level of noise these days is very wearing.  I was out in the garden yesterday in what is supposed to be a quiet, respectable and semi-rural area.  I heard the bin wagons banging about all day as one set about emptying brown bins and the others clattered all the cans, bottles cardboard and food waste into hoppers.  I also watched the 'Technician' launch my black box across the street to land more or less on my front lawn.. which explains why it's always cracked and in need of replacement.  Still.. all that only happens on a monday.

But then the succession of malfunctioning house alarms.. the bloke in the next street using a chain saw.. the chaps cutting stone flags up the street, the dogs barking, the idiots three doors down in the next street who are incapable of normal communication and need to bellow at each other constantly, the low flying aircraft from Liverpool and Manchester, the constant parade of 'white van men', the thoughtfully provided selection of 'background music' and the beginning of the annual onslaught of 'practice' firework detonation... all conspire to remind me that I am not alone in the world....:(

In South Australia we have a "container deposit scheme". All beer and soft drink cans and bottles and some cardboard drinks containers have a 10 cent deposit on them when  purchased which is redeemed when they are taken back to a recycling centre.

I don't know why milk containers and wine and other bottles do not have a deposit on them but the effect of the deposit scheme is that you don't see these items lying around as discarded rubbish as they have a value. 

What we do see lying about are the cardboard food containers from fast food companies and coffee cups and cigarette butts.

We have three council provided bins, one for general waste, one for recyclable items, cardboard, paper, plastics,cans etc and one for garden waste.

We have another bin to store the empty containers with deposits on them and when it is full take it too the recycling centre and usually end up with around $20.

For those with a technical mind, as your wheelie bins are plastic injection moulded they will most often have a date of manufacture on them which usually looks like a clock face with numbers 1 -12 in raised figures and there will be a raised dot against on of the numbers i.e 4 = April and sometimes there is also a day code, number 1-31

We live a hundred yards from the lane in the corner of a field. It’s all very tranquil. There’s sometimes the odd whoosh of a passing glider from Syerston and we’re on a direct line from the QMC to RAF Waddington so we’re disturbed by the air ambulance returning to base. Otherwise it’s just the occasional sound of agricultural machinery and birdsong. Quite idyllic really!

Sitting here on a warm night with the door open I can hear the waves breaking on the beach, the occasional car and rarely the sound of an emergency vehicle siren and very, very rarely the emergency helicopter air lifting some poor unfortunate to another hospital from ours.

At the weekend and during school holidays we get the sound of the steam whistle from the tourist train as it chuffs along by the ocean.

• Like 1

There was opposition from the unions when dustless collection was introduced. The old metal bins were very hard work to lift, so the physical demands provided quite an element of job protection. The wheely bins were far less physically demanding and that meant there was a much larger pool of potential workers to take on the job.

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

But then the succession of malfunctioning house alarms.. the bloke in the next street using a chain saw.. the chaps cutting stone flags up the street, the dogs barking, the idiots three doors down in the next street who are incapable of normal communication and need to bellow at each other constantly, the low flying aircraft from Liverpool and Manchester, the constant parade of 'white van men', the thoughtfully provided selection of 'background music' and the beginning of the annual onslaught of 'practice' firework detonation... all conspire to remind me that I am not alone in the world....:(

And breathe....       

No time.... too busy moaning... 

Do you live in South Africa ? as this is how they used to collect the rubbish over there. Each black was taken out o a large bin, tied then the were left for the tractor and trailer to be picked up, with the help of a young boy, whilst the tractor was moving the boy had to lift the black  bag on to his shoulder then throw it onto the trailer, if any boy fell down the tractor would not stop. It just kept moving on.

• Upvote 1

Re the activities in the surrounding neighbourhood, I live on a main road, with lots of traffic. It's irritating at times when I'm waiting to get out of my drive, and there's constant police / ambulance sirens passing, but that's life. 

I like to hear people getting on with their everyday activities. Yes, even the neighbours kids playing in the garden.

Its nice early in the morning, or late at night, just to hear the world going about its business. 

The day I can't hear anything, is most likely because I'm in my box !

• Like 1
On 28 October 2019 at 12:36 PM, bamber said:

Putting out the waste over the weekend I noticed that our wheely-bin is date stamped 1988 and still going strong - despite its rubbish treatment.

So, does any Nottstalgian have a wheely-bin that is even older?:P

Just put mine out and checked the date, 1984.