Thanks for having me. I’m trying to find any information on my Father Ken Clarke, I have been told he had something to do with the Variety club. I’m 76 and never met or saw my Father, not even a photograph, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Vic. Good heavens, it's not THE Ken Clarke, is it? I believe,many years ago, he used to canvass in the area. At least I was told so.

Do you have any further details about him? Date of birth, age, full name, etc?

There are many people on this site with knowledge of the Radford area, so someone may know something which will help. Good luck with your search.

4 hours ago, Vic Clarke said:

I’m trying to find any information on my Father Ken Clarke, I have been told he had something to do with the Variety club. I’m 76 and never met or saw my Father, not even a photograph, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You may have noticed in the main thread about the Variety Club, Nottstalgia member radfordred has a family connection with the place. If anyone knows, he will.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/327-the-variety-club-radford/

Trouble is, RR can't / won't accept any pms. I've tried several times, but to no avail.

• Like 1
On 10/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Are you Victor K? Son of Frances M Weedon and Kenneth W Clarke who were married in 1940?

Do you possibly have a sister, born in 1950, in Leicester?

I am Jill, don’t know of a Sister in Leicester, I have very limited information. My parents probably divorced/annulled approx 1944/45. It’s a long story.

11 hours ago, radfordred said:

I have the deeds for the Variety going back to the eighteen hundreds it was not a club until 1959 & I have never seen or heard that name mentioned & sadly most I could have asked are now dead. Sorry. 

Thank you for your reply. I have posted elsewhere on the forum(ancestry)  a very good friend of mine now passed on told me Ken Clarke sorted his wedding reception out at the Variety club, this would be very early sixties.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Vic 

just sat reading your post and if its any help i could put you in touch with my cousin Shirley, she has traced her tree back to the 1600s and she has helped lots more people to trace there family's. She does not ask any fee she just enjoys helping people, if you need more info please get in touch with me via site, 

Have a look though our site at other topics there are some very interesting ones.

13 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Welcome to Nottstalgia Vic 

just sat reading your post and if its any help i could put you in touch with my cousin Shirley, she has traced her tree back to the 1600s and she has helped lots more people to trace there family's. She does not ask any fee she just enjoys helping people, if you need more info please get in touch with me via site, 

Have a look though our site at other topics there are some very interesting ones.

Hi Mary

I would love for you to ask Shirley, I would be so grateful. My email is vic@vicclarke.com thank you Mary.

There is a Katrina A Clarke born in the September quarter of 1950 in Leicester with a mother's maiden name of Weedon. I can't find a marriage in this area, although there are marriages for these names in the south of England. In addition to your own parents' marriage, as already mentioned.

The only way of finding out about Katrina is to order the birth certificate to establish whether the first names of her parents are the same as your parents.

It is possible she could be related. Personally, I would want to see much more corroborative evidence before I regarded it as probable.

Hi Jill

Thanks for this, I have sent for a birth certificate and a marriage certificate concerning a Ken Clarke  who is a good probable. At the end of the day I just want a photograph. There are people I’m sure who know my Dad, I want nothing but a picture, I don’t want to disrupt your life, I don’t want money, I want nothing but a picture. I would be forever grateful.

vic.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:33 AM, letsavagoo said:

What was the Variety before it was a club.

Sorry Lets missed your post, I'm an infrequent visitor, when I climb into the loft in the next few weeks for the Christmas trimmings I'll get them them down & have a flick, or really interested I'll make you a cup of tea, you can flick yourself.  

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

From joining this forum and Ann Swabey’s help,  I now have one definite new brother and 2 more possibles, and possible Sister.  I would have been happy with a photograph, I have 12. Also my Father was I’m told steward of the Variety club in the 50’s with his then wife Audrey. He had an off licence on Radford rd before the Variety. After the Variety he and his wife managed the Sherwood Rooms.  I will post more later. A big thank you to Ann and David w.

• Like 8