Bob Patchit tailor

I certainly recall the shop. The other tailor in Trinity Square was Harry Silverman. Back in the days when I cared about my sartorial appearance I used Gibson Mather who was midway up Goldsmith Street, opposite the Arboretum. The last time I bought a suit for a wedding I went to John Lewis. It fitted perfectly without all the hassle of going back for fittings. I don’t know if you can still get a bespoke suit in Nottingham nowadays.

I had a suit made by Bob Patchit. When I was in the textile industry (working at HATRA, Gregory Boulevard) I was given a suit length of mohair and cashmere suiting fabric.

I'd heard of the good reputation of Patchit (although I was a bit wary of the name) so I took the fabric down to the Trinity Square shop. The shop inside was very tiny and smelled like my grannies wardrobe - mothballs and paraffin.

There were two smartly dressed men in the shop, one short who reminded me of a cartoon Eastend tailor and one very tall who only had one arm. My first thoughts were that a one armed tailor might not be my first choice but, there we go. I was meticulously measured (far more detail than John Collier's or Burton's had ever done), left the bolt of fabric and went over, most likely, to the Guildhall Tavern.

I returned a week later for a fitting and then another week to collect the suit. I was amazed how good the suit was and (I was very slim in those days) they had managed to eke out the fabric enough to make a three piece rather than the two piece that the stuff was intended for. Best of all, Patchit didn't charge extra for the waistcoat.

That was definitely the best suit I ever had in England and counts among the best suits I have ever owned, although it is very rare that I wear a suit these days.

Note: Please don't think that mohair and/or cashmere have any connection with the furry jumpers of that era. Bothe wove into very sleek and very strong fabrics and, consequently, garments.

• Like 1