william sharp school bilbouorgh

:tease: I take a step backwards for those people who amaze me with their recollections of their skool dazs, i for one didn't like my skool dazs at all, never played truant, never ran away from home because of it, but i had this feeling that i never really fitted in. Never IMO really learned alot, i must have, but at the time it didn't seem as if i had.

In my dazs at skool if you weren't in the upper A stream you didn't get owt, in other words you were ignored. The only things i excelled in was Woodwork, made a lovely teak Coffee table and only just in the last two years dismantle it for a skate board base.

The other thing that i extolled at was Gymnastics, won a Bronze medal the first year and Gold the next which was nice..

There are a few teachers that i remember, the one that sticks out like a sore thumb is Mr Norton or Thornton, and i can tell ya he gave you more than a sore thumb, anyway, on many occasions i had to go and see him for punishment, i beleive he took us for maths at some point in my education. I remember well that behind his desk just to one side he had a cupboard, a tall pine one with two large doors which opened to reveil not only stationary but weapons of mass distruction namely an aray of cains straps and handcuffs never really got my head around those handcuffs, mybe they were used for his private cannings....

That's about it for teachers names, as you see i really do have a problem remembering them.....that's why i have asked mick to start this new forum hoping that out there, there mybe someone else with simular memories as mine and they are not as fik as me with teachers names....1960 to 1963 terms...

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I didn't like school neither, nor did I ever play truant. I joined William Sharp when it first opened as Portland Junior. I think Miss Maxwell was my first teacher there but I loved Miss Walton, even though she slapped your legs all the way up and all the way down again if you didn't behave. We progressed to seniors and had different teachers for different subjects for the first time. I can't remember many names, except perhaps Mr. Henshaw for maths, Miss Burbage (English, I think), Miss Ancliff (PE), Mr. Kerr for history (oh, how we girls would swoon after him), and I think the headmaster was Mr. Bateman, but not sure. There was a Mr. Horton, I do believe, but he didn't take our class. I think he was deputy head and was the one who would give out the punishment to the lads. I wish I could remember more names. All in all it was a very good school. I consider that I had a good education there, and could probably have done better had I tried.

Well what a coincidence, two people who went to the same school as I in roughly the same time frame too 62/65.

Yes the deputy head was a Mr Horton and he was, like Bip recalls responsible for dishing out punishment.

what happened to Bip? I would love to have a word with him.

Nottstalgia isn't what its all about.

Sue x

MUCH smaller for some than others, methinks!

But if Sue puts some details in her profile - I am certain BIP will find her and get in touch.

• 2 months later...

I didn't like school neither, nor did I ever play truant. I joined William Sharp when it first opened as Portland Junior. I think Miss Maxwell was my first teacher there but I loved Miss Walton, even though she slapped your legs all the way up and all the way down again if you didn't behave. We progressed to seniors and had different teachers for different subjects for the first time. I can't remember many names, except perhaps Mr. Henshaw for maths, Miss Burbage (English, I think), Miss Ancliff (PE), Mr. Kerr for history (oh, how we girls would swoon after him), and I think the headmaster was Mr. Bateman, but not sure. There was a Mr. Horton, I do believe, but he didn't take our class. I think he was deputy head and was the one who would give out the punishment to the lads. I wish I could remember more names. All in all it was a very good school. I consider that I had a good education there, and could probably have done better had I tried.

William sharp kids use to push us into privet hedges and throw our caps into gardens on our way home. Good to hear that the teachers gave them a thrashing from time to time. thumbsup

• 4 years later...

Another lad that went to Billy Blunt's as we used to call it, our form teacher was Mr. Smith and other teachers I recall are: Mr.Horton(the butcher) Mr.Henshaw(maths) Miss Haley later to become Mrs. Burbage(english) Mr. Kerr(P.E.) Mr. Beaver(music) Mr.Osbourne(woodwork) and of course Mr. Bateman (head). There were other teachers that I can't remember at this moment in time but they may come to mind at a later date.

I have mixed feelings about school, some days I loved it some days I absolutely hated it but after a few years slogging for 40 hours at work I would often say "wish I was back at school". The discipline was hard and I would often get cane for stepping out of line, or in the case of Mr. Kerr in P.E. it would be a size 13 plimsole accross your backside (if F1 drivers had the same tread on their tyres as that plimmy they would never come off the track). Yes they were tough on discipline but we had a certain amount of respect for the teachers, something lacking these days.

I went to the open day at the brand new Sandford Acadamy which now occupies the site and was really impressed with the facilities that were there, indoor sports arena, dance and music studio and media facilities to name a few. We would have given our right arm for facilities like those but I fear that they will be abused by the unruly kids that we seem to have today. Please!!!!!! kids prove me wrong.

The open day was quite enjoyable because parts of the old school were still standing and in the old assembly hall there was a display set up with artifacts from the past including the induction registers for each year. It was strange seeing your name in the register after all those years and there were quite a few interesting photos too. To top it all guess who was there?, Smiffy my old form teacher, he must be part of the school structure.

• Upvote 1
  • 10 months later...

I remember Henshaw because he used to have a strap in his desk draw. He was a nice guy though. I believe he had some connection with a dairy farm. If you could get him talking about farming the lesson was over and you could relax.

It's only years later I began to realise what poor teachers we had.

• 9 months later...

Went to William Sharp from 1962-65 thought it was a great school and wasnt impressed when my parnts decided to emigrate to Australia. Pe Teachers Mrs Walker and Miss Blanchard. Remeber giving Mrs Walker a bloody nose went I went over the vaults with my arms out. Sewing Miss Rippon. Also remember the long window opening poles that Maths teacher liked to carry under his arm and keep your mind on the job by tapping you with it on the shoulder. Still have my gymnastic medal and school badge from blazer.

Shame to see the school has closed.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Where William Sharp was is now Samworth Academy. The old grammar school is now Bilborough College. I think the two original buildings were demolished.