How to make Notts tea...

Somewhere out there, Colly, there is a parallel universe in which you remained at Chester le Street, won a place at Oxford, wrote a thesis on how to make tea and were awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics.

Somewhere out there is a parallel universe in which our Ben is a Trappist monk! :wacko:

• Like 4
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere out there, Colly, there is a parallel universe in which you remained at Chester le Street, won a place at Oxford, wrote a thesis on how to make tea and were awarded the Nobel Prize for Physi

Started at Gothem infants then (in no particular order) Aldercar & another one in Langley Mill, one in Chester-Le-Street,  Collygate, Trent Bridge juniors & seniors in the Meadows, & Beard

Colly, do you have actual dreams/nightmares about being lost or anxious in unfamiliar  schools?  Paul does!   He says that when he was in a new large secondary school and there was the usual

Love that post, Jill.   Very imaginative......or could it be true?

@colly0410  it must have been horrible when your old friends didn't want to know you when you returned... children can be very cruel until they develop empathy........but sadly,  some never do and spend their whole lives not caring about other people unless they're in their particullar group.     

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Somewhere out there is a parallel universe in which our Ben is a Trappist monk

Far be from me to suggest professional help but....

• Like 1

Dont forget to preheat the teapot with hot water makes a big difference to mashing always add one extra spoon of tea for the pot used Lyons Quick Brew and an enamel mug great for dunking biscuits in,are there any more suggestions?.

8 minutes ago, MargieH said:

@Beekay we use a teapot because the tea tastes better when you do!

I'll  know what to expect then, when I  call round for a cuppa.

When I'd had nothing to eat or drink for 2 weeks when I was in QMC for 3 weeks with ischemic colitis (I'd been on fluid IV drips) that 1'st NHS cuppa they gave me tasted like nectar...... Worst tea I've ever had was in Florida a few months ago at Giodarnos (or sumat like that) pizzarria , it was literally like dirty dish watter. John (Ayupmeducks) warned me on my facebook page about the crap tea they make in America, he was so right, lol...

The worst tea I've ever had is here, in France. They don't have a clue and, being French, they know best.

I've related this before but, here goes again:

With 30+ years in France, I have pretty much adopted a French lifestyle – including their way of eating. There are a few English things I do miss though, the main one being a decent cup of tea. The French (and most of continental Europe, I think) don't have a clue how to make tea. They use those daft little teabags on a string, dunk them into tepid water for a few seconds (until it is just faintly tinted) and that's it.

When I used to commute UK – France one of the first things I craved on the plane to Heathrow was a decent cup of British Airways tea. Such was my need for this, I would go out of my schedule to avoid Air France purely because of their lack of skill in making tea. (This was long before the likes of Easy Jet and Ryan Air).

When I moved to France on a long-term basis, one of the most urgent things for me to obtain was a kettle and a teapot. Both of these are effectively unknown in Continental Europe although I have seen a few kettles on sale recently in large stores in Nice. I remember in “my youth”, in the UK, the kettle and its boiling water were in almost constant use, not so in France. On the rare occasions that they boil water it’s usually in a saucepan.

I wasn’t one kettle I bought, it was two (and two teapots). One of each for my apartment and for the office. In order to have my tea made the way I like it (the proper way) I thought I would give my secretary a lesson. This included warming the pot and one-for-the-pot (this seems to have gone now that teabags are almost universal). Next day said secretary came into my office beaming broadly and carrying a tray on which was the kettle and a cup and saucer. She proceeded to pour the contents of the kettle into the cup and hand it to me. What she had done was ignore the teapot entirely and made the tea directly in the kettle. She couldn’t see the point of the two-stage process and nothing I could say would persuade her otherwise.

Oh well, she left shortly afterwards to get married. I bought her a kettle and a teapot as a wedding present.

As a rider to that, on a couple of occasions, she left the tea boiling for several minutes in the kettle (total opposite to the cat pee they normally serve here). It was atrocious. Ever had boiled tea?

• Like 1

It’s strange that the French can’t make tea when they claim the gastronomic high ground in other areas (although I much prefer Italian cooking). Tea making in England was a ritual but the invention of the tea bag did away with much of that and as long as the tea has time to brew in pot or mug I defy anyone to tell the difference. I, until recently, had a morning coffee routine where I ground the beans and poured slightly less than boiling water over the grounds in a caffetiere. Since I spotted Taylor’s of Harrogate coffee bags in assorted strengths the ritual has gone out of the window and the brew is simpler to prepare, no loose grounds to flush away and the flavour, with the coffee out of a sealed packet, is indistinguishable from freshly ground. The easy life for me in future.

Yes Jonab I have, at work when I was 15-16. I was an apprentice hairdresser, very shy and timid. Where I worked was a large establishment with living quarters at the back where my bosses mother lived. She had a habit of serving the tea with customers and stopping for a chat. My first cup of tea was given to me and I was asked 2 questions, answering no to one of them which happened to be the wrong answer. I was asked if I took sugar and I said "no". Well here went a challenge every time I had tea. It was so stewed that it eventually went down the sink or was left to go cold.

The tea was made for one customer and what was left went on a low light for the next one. Another thing she used to do was every now and again would come through and check the appointment book. If there was a gap of maybe an hour she would switch the immersion heater off and forget to switch it back on. Come time to wash someone's hair and " MOTHER you've switched the water off again". I lost count of the times we had to boil water and use jugs.

1 hour ago, colly0410 said:

When I'd had nothing to eat or drink for 2 weeks when I was in QMC for 3 weeks with ischemic colitis (I'd been on fluid IV drips) that 1'st NHS cuppa they gave me tasted like nectar...... Worst tea I've ever had was in Florida a few months ago at Giodarnos (or sumat like that) pizzarria , it was literally like dirty dish watter. John (Ayupmeducks) warned me on my facebook page about the crap tea they make in America, he was so right, lol...

I found that out too. 1966 I went to Kentucky to meet for the first time a penfriend I'd had since I was 13. She and her family picked me up from the airport and on the way to where she lived we stopped at a diner for some tea:biggrin:

I'd never heard of cold tea before so was surprised it came in a glass with ice.Wasn't too impressed but out of politeness I drank it. Must say although I do drink it now I'm still not overly impressed.

• Like 1

My late Mother-in-law would drink tea that had gone cold rather than throw it down the drain... One day my tea had gone cold & she put it in the microwave to warm it up for me = I took a gob full & spat it out & screamed as it was so hot, cue lots of moaning & whinging from me. I tried it when it'd cooled down & it was like dish watter...

'Er indoors used to work with an Irish girl, (when we lived at Snape Wood). Wifey went to tea with her and she did no more than filled the kettle with cold water, put the tea leaves in it and then put it on the gas stove to boil up! When poured out, it were like tar and tasted unbelievably  stewed. Needless to say she didn't drink much.

I have a Kenyan friend here in the village and she makes teabag tea in a teapot, but then adds the milk into the teapot as well!   It tastes fine, but looks strange seeing milky tea coming out of the spout..

I don't mind when I'm given a mug of tea which already has milk in, but I wouldn't drink it if sugar had been added...

18 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi colly0410 which area of Florida was Giodarnos?we rent a condo about 20 min.from Disneyworld is Giodarnos near there if so i will stick to coffee hope the pizza is better.

It is on Sandlake Road between International Drive & Universal Blvd (almost opposite the Wawa petrol station) in Orlando. The pizzas we had were very nice & we went back a couple of times but I didn't have the tea. Went in lots of other eateries but didn't have the tea, our favourite was Perkins Bakery on the corner of Int Drive & Sandlake Road... 

19 hours ago, MargieH said:

I have a Kenyan friend here in the village and she makes teabag tea in a teapot, but then adds the milk into the teapot as well!   It tastes fine, but looks strange seeing milky tea coming out of the spout..

That's how it was made when I worked in a factory. The teapot was industrial sized and almost a full pint of milk was added to the tea.