A bit about myself.  76 years old, still working. Premises manager for  an Architectural  practice in Nottingham.  Was a commercial diver working off shore.  I was in Kuwait 90/91 carrying out abseiling surveys.  I abseiled the Kuwait water Towers among other high structures.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Heyup Vic - sounds like you will have some interesting stories to tell ;)

If you google Vic Clarke Kuwait water towers, bit of a write up. A Central news/camera team went over with us, went over there 5 times including Jeddah.

http://muqaddisali.blogspot.com/2006/11/kuwait.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi

All 3 towers had to be abseiled and surveyed, it was very hot on the first drop, my descender got to hot with rope passing through it, and seized, bottled water was lowered down to me to cool it. The rest of the drops had to be done early morning. Health and safety was pretty poor in Kuwait. On the main tower with the large globe which is a revolving restaurant the Iraqis had tied their flag to the metal discs, I cut the flag down. We were invited that night to the Bayan palace for a meal.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Vic Clarke said:

Started life on the high seas.

Just read about your life on the North Sea Vic ....... John Masefield’s poem ‘Cargoes’ immediately came to mind. Sounds like it was pretty tough but what memories you have to share, well done! 

• Like 1