Under the junk and rubbish stored in my loft I discovered a copy of the CAMRA 1978 Nottingham Guy Fawkes Beer Festival Programme, held at the Victoria Leisure Centre 2/11/ to 5/11/1978.  Unlike the recent event held at the Motorpoint this was a somewhat small affair, but back in the day it was huge, I think this may have been the 2nd or 3rd event.

Opening hours (A limiting factor back then) Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd November 11.30 to 14.30 and 18.00 to 22.00. Saturday the 4th, extra supping time, 11.00 to 14.30 and 17.30 to 22.00. Sunday you had to be quick to sample any remaining brews. 12.00 to 14.00.

There were 16 breweries to choose from:- Ansells, Hardy and Hansons, Home Ales, Hoskins, LLoyds Country Beers, Manns, Marstons, McEwans, Robinsons, Ruddles, Samuel Smiths, Shipstones, Theakston, Wards, Westcrown and Worthington White Shield (Bottled). offering between 1 and 3 brews. O.G or ABV as it is now. (are they the same thing?) of between 1032 and Owd Roger at 1080.

Most of the Ales were Mild and Bitter, Theakstons Old Peculiar, McEwans 70/- and 80/- (any ideas what they were?). 

A shame that some of these names have been swallowed up by the big companies.

I suppose it was possible in the half pint commemorative glass that they gave you to complete the circuit to sample at least one glass from each brewer in each of the sessions.  Never made it passed the Theakston OP tho'.   Some of the breweries underestimated demand and were not on offer for all the sessions although Home and Shippo's was available for Sunday.   Still got my commemorative glass and a bottle of White Shield.

Back then going to visit a Shipstones pub was some times referred to as going for " Pint of Honest "  derived from a two word nine lettered anagram of Shipstones.  Clue: first word Honest ....

Cheers!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

back in the day it was huge, I think this may have been the 2nd or 3rd event.

I think there may have been a few more though, I went to the very first CAMRA event held at Victoria Leisure Centre in either 1971 or '72.

I was at school with Pete ‘’Spyke’ Golding, I think he was involved with the Nottingham CAMRA Group from the very beginning.   Quite a character, even in his schooldays, and a sad loss to the beer drinking fraternity.  

Hi TBI, Thanks for updating,

Wasn't living in Nottingham in the early 70's. first beer fest I have memories of is 75 or 76.    One of the exhibitors I remember was Warro's selling genuine Scrumpy sent up from Scrumpy land. Very potent stuff.  His supplier was happy to ship it up because of the quantity he could sell.

He had a Scrumpy bar called Warro's in Fletcher Gate, somewhere near the Cross Keys. It was up some stairs to the first floor, the decor was minimal and bare floorboards.  You only went for the drink not the decor. 

Back then scrumpy/cider didn't attract the alcohol tax for some reason and it was a nice cheap way to merriment.   Not long after the government of the day slapped tax on Scrumpy/cider and Warro's disappeared.

Can anyone fill in more detail as I've always wondered where he went.